PDA

View Full Version : New Years Din-Din

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 8:07 PM
A few folks inquired privately about the holiday meal I mentioned I was cooking for Ali in my "weekend happenings" posting in the power tools forum, so I though I'd post pictures of what turned out. I have one word for the whole thing...yum. Everything came together just right and at the right time. What's not to like about that? That's the hardest part of cooking a meal, IMHO. Timing.

Pics:

1) Main plate...pan-seared fillet tail wrapped in bacon with a mushroom cream sauce, ginger carrots and fresh steamed asparagus.

2) Pear and raspberry tart fresh out of the oven. Mom's pie crust recipe strikes again! Pears were seasoned with LOML's home-made vanilla sugar, fresh ginger and fresh cinnamon from Penzy's. The raspberries added that little extra "zing" to the taste. (unfortunately they are expensive at this time of the year...)

2) Desert is served...with fresh whipped cream right from LOML's "XMAS tool"...

Mark Singer
01-01-2004, 8:28 PM
Jim,
Nice presentation! I can almost smell it through my laptop. Give me your address...it will be Falling Water ,Kentuck Knob ....and your place!
Mark

Noah Alkinburgh
01-01-2004, 8:35 PM
Cruel, cruel, cruel....

:D

Julie Wright
01-04-2004, 9:05 PM
And He can cook Too!! You are a multitalented man there Mr. Jim Becker. Are going to bring anything like that to the 5 Barns Picnic?? I might just have to make the drive up there.

Jim Becker
01-04-2004, 9:22 PM
Are going to bring anything like that to the 5 Barns Picnic?? I might just have to make the drive up there.

Barring unforseen circumstances, I'll be at the picnic. You should be, too...it's absolutely worth the trip!

Dave Avery
01-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Jim,

Really cool. Nice to see another WW'er who know his way around the kitchen. While Katherine is the real chef in the family, I can hold my own in the cooking realm. You're right about the timing thing; cooking well is somewhat difficult, cooking well and timing everything and making it look as nice as you did (and having time to take pic's) can be rocket science. Nice job.

Jason Roehl
01-11-2004, 5:39 PM
Okay, being in the Midwest, I gotta speak for all of us, when I ask, "WHERE'S THE BEEF??" (Okay, my FIL is a beef-cattle farmer, too). Around here, a "nice" meal is the same as a "big" meal. :D :cool:

Ace Karner
01-11-2004, 6:01 PM
I'm with you Jason, it ain't a meal if it ain't hangin' over the side of the plate. LOL

ace

Jim Becker
01-11-2004, 8:29 PM
Okay, being in the Midwest, I gotta speak for all of us, when I ask, "WHERE'S THE BEEF??" (Okay, my FIL is a beef-cattle farmer, too). Around here, a "nice" meal is the same as a "big" meal.

Good point, but at $15.99 a lb, one doesn't necessarily need to have it "hang over the edge of the plate". Besides, those are 14" diameter plates... :D The fillet (and other cuts) from the farm up the street is pretty incredible--restauant quality--and frankly, even small portions are quite satisfying. One also needed room for the desert, too, if I do say so myself.

Brad Schafer
01-12-2004, 8:57 PM
Good point, but at $15.99 a lb, one doesn't necessarily need to have it "hang over the edge of the plate".

!!! Dude, you gotta find a better deal. 16 bux for a pound of beef (regardless of cut) is outrageous. :-)

b (former cattleman)