PDA

View Full Version : buying some tools - help with fair prices

Charles Wilson
05-03-2007, 8:58 PM
I ran across some tools that someone is willing to sell. I was wondering what reasonable asking prices would be for these items. I want to make sure that I pay her a fair and reasonable price as her husband can not continue to woodwork due to health issues.

Delta 28-254 Bandsaw - ?

Delta 36-950 Unisaw - ?

Rockler Router Table Package - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=894 (has legs and older model Ryobi router)

Bessy Clamps - Sizes from 12" to 60"

Thanks,
Chuck

Al Killian
05-03-2007, 9:14 PM
Depending on there condtion, if they are in good shape and ready to use. I have seen them sell for 50%- 75% of there price when new. Good luck with it.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-03-2007, 9:16 PM
Al's right. 50% is a good starting point. Go up or down from there depending on condition.

Steve Rowe
05-03-2007, 9:18 PM
Charles,
My general rule of thumb is 40-60% of new for the machines you listed depending on condition. If in excellent condition, I may go more but not a whole lot. The Bessey clamps are worth more than this range IMO but, no more than the market clearing price (i.e. - sale price) for the parallel jaw clamps of your choice. For the Ryobi router - that is worth very little ($10-20 max).
Steve

Nancy Laird
05-03-2007, 9:27 PM
Charles, it is obviously going to depend on the age and condition of the Delta units - they are models that are no longer offered, so you're going to have to ask the seller to see the documents to find out how much he paid for them and make an offer based on retail, less something for wear and tear, condition, and age. If you can find out the retails on these machines, you might start with an offer of 40% of retail and see if you can make a deal. You and the seller both are going to want to do better than yard-sale prices (usually 1/3 of new on stuff like this), but you're going to have to judge for yourself the condition of the machines to see if they are worth 50-60% or more of new. You might even want to find someone who has some experience with used machinery to check them out.

On the Bessey K-body clamps (which I'm assuming they are), current retails are $32.99/12"; 35.99/24"; 39.99/31"; 44.99/40"; 47.99/50"; and 54.99/60" (prices are from Woodworker's Supply current "best customer" catalog). Unless they are really banged up and in bad shape, they should probably sell for 75% of retail.

Again, it all depends on age, condition, and wear and tear on the stuff.

Can't comment on the router table package--that would really be a WAG.

Charles Wilson
05-03-2007, 9:48 PM
WAG?

Just to provide further information - all of this stuff is INCREDIBLE shape.

K Body Clamps are MINT (some with tags on them still). All Delta stuff made in USA.

Thanks,

Chuck

Charles Wilson
05-03-2007, 9:49 PM
WAG?

Just to provide further information - all of this stuff is INCREDIBLE shape.

K Body Clamps are MINT (some with tags on them still).

If she needs me to, I may be trying to help her sell some of the stuff on here.

Thanks,

Chuck

Nancy Laird
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
WAG?

Wild A$$ Guess.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Paul Johnstone
05-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm going to assume that these are all well maintained, no surface rust, and in good condition.. Otherwise, adjust accordingly. These are used prices I've seen..

Delta 28-254 Bandsaw - This is the closed base one, I think. If it was the one made in USA, I'd say $500.

Delta 36-950 Unisaw - Depend on fence system, accessories, etc.. I'd say $700-1000

Rockler Router Table Package - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=894 (has legs and older model Ryobi router) - I agree, the Ryobi
router is valueless.. Maybe $60 - 70

Bessy Clamps - Sizes from 12" to 60" .. These hold their value really well on Ebay.. Fair value would probably be about $20/each. They actually sell for more than that used.. Yes, I know it's crazy, because occasionally you can get them new for 20-25, but that's the going rate.. Actually, it's a bit more for the longer ones.

Go to ebay and do a "search on completed items" under advanced search. That's a great way to get a ballpark idea for what used things sell for.