PDA

View Full Version : The G0454 and G0452 are up and running.

Tyler Lung
05-03-2007, 8:58 PM
Well today I finished putting the 20" inch planer together and a sent a few pieces of lumber through it. Yesterday I did the same with the 6" jointer. I am very happy with the purchase so far. I think a guy would be hard pressed to do better for the money. I can't wait to really put them both to work. The planer is just begging for a 20 inch panel to chew on.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the built in mobile bases on these units are SWEET. Very handy.

Tyler

Howie French
05-05-2007, 7:50 PM
Tyler, congrats on your new tools, the 20 inch planer is of interest to me.
any additional thoughts you might have on this would be appreciated.
And oh ya, any pics ? :D :D

howie

Tyler Lung
05-06-2007, 8:17 PM
Howie,
Unfortunately I don't have any pics at the moment, maybe at a later date. I think the planer was a great buy. I bought through Grizzly off Ebay for $1175 + shipping. (actually it was a graduation present, so I really didn't buy it.) I have not had chance to run a much wood through it yet. (bummer) I was happy that it came in fairly good adjustment from the factory. Things may have to be tweaked after some more use, we'll see. The couple of pieces I did plane were white ash, probably only six inches wide. I took off and eighth of an inch in a pass and I don't think the planer realized it was doing anything. It will be interesting to see if a full 20 inch hardwood panel will bog it down at all. The only other planer I can compare it to is an 18" Powermatic that is in our school shop. While the Grizz doesn't have all the bells and whistles the PM does, I don't see why I would spend the big $$ for the PM over the Grizz. The fit and finish on the Grizz is what I would call good, not excellent. I don't think its quite on par with my G1023 table saw, but the saw is a step up on the ladder. The two feed speeds are nice. The slow speed produced a very nice finish on the ash. That's all I can think of off the top of my head with the limited experience that I have with it. Sorry I can't give more details on performance.
Any other ??????? 's just ask, I'll do my best.
Tyler