PDA

View Full Version : Odd Cats

Joe Pelonio
05-03-2007, 8:09 PM
I'm not a cat person, we have allergies in the house so just two dogs. Someone explain this to me. I'm beginning to think that ghosts are coming back in the form of cats or something.

This morning on the way back from a delivery I saw an elderly man walking his small dog on a leash. About 4 feet behind them was a black cat following. I actually stopped the truck and watched in the rear view mirror, when they went around the corner so did the cat.

I didn't think that much about it until now. I just looked out the shop window and a woman was pushing a stroller with a baby in front of my house. Following them about 6' back was an orange and white cat. Again I watched, and they turned the corner and went down the sidestreet, still followed by the cat.

Doug Shepard
05-03-2007, 8:54 PM
Not su unusual. When I walk my dog, my indoor/oudoor cat will often follow us for up to 7-8 houses before he turns around and goes back. My indoor cat thinks dogs are great toys. My next door neighbors have 2 cat-size dogs that she especially loves. I've let them in and Gidget will follow them everywhere they go, racing out to ambush and race away, and try to engage them in play.

jeremy levine
05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I had a cat that would follow us when I walked to a friends house.

Lee Schierer
05-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I used to have a cat that would come when you whistled and would also walk with you on a leash. When I went to Annapolis, he went to live with my sister and some one stole him from the chain in the front yard. He was a great cat.

Dan Gill
05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
My wife had a cat that would follow her when she went horseback riding, then get lost in the tall grass. She'd have to call to it so it could find its way home. This was a cat that had been exposed to carbon monoxide as a kitten (starting the car in the garage), and it never grew up, mentally.

Roger Bell
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I think it is pretty common behavior for house cats to follow people. I have had a couple of cats over the years that would actually go/follow on short hikes in the woods....just like a dog would.

One time a cougar followed me for about a mile on a trail along a remote ridgetop just about dusk....keeping his distance of about 200' behind me. When I stopped, he/she stopped, etc. Eventually he/she lost interest and disappeared. That phenomenon is also not all that rare....we occasionally get freaked-out hikers telling of such cougar stalks.

Curt Harms
05-05-2007, 4:08 AM
One time a cougar followed me for about a mile on a trail along a remote ridgetop just about dusk....keeping his distance of about 200' behind me. When I stopped, he/she stopped, etc. Eventually he/she lost interest and disappeared. That phenomenon is also not all that rare....we occasionally get freaked-out hikers telling of such cougar stalks.

I'd freak out too!!!. I wouldn't think of house cats sizing me up as tonight's supper!:eek:. When we had dogs we had a cat that would go along on walks. He'd usually get distracted after a few hundred feet and go off on some mission of his own.