PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing Tools?

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-01-2004, 7:28 PM
I am kicking the idea around that I would like to try turning a few Hollow Vessels. Does anyone have any recommendations for Hollowing Tools? I have looked at a few, and although the selection is limited, I was interested to know what the veteran turners among us suggest. I know I could fabricate my own......but with a sudden lack of extra time, that I would rather spend Woodworking than building tools, and some extra Christmas Cash on hand, I was looking to purchase. If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or comments on the various Hollowing Tools available, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say. Thanks in advance again.........I ask a lot of questions at times, huh? :D

Ace Karner
01-01-2004, 7:43 PM
Try this link, I'm real interested in this system.
http://www.lylejamieson.com/tool.htm

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 7:55 PM
I have and use the Jamison (http://www.lylejamieson.com/toolmain.htm) system that Ace mentions and it's wonderful...it lets you concentrate on the art, rather than fight with the tools, especially on a difficult turning. Highly recommended, although I don't suggest Lyles laser setup...it's too flimsy and if you want one there are better options on the market. Many folks also like the Stewart system with it's arm brace. Given the problems I have with my hands, it would not have worked well for me, however, so I went right to the captive system.

That being said, for small hollow vessels, the captive system will not be too usable. For those, I recomment some simple bent tools, such as the mini hollowing set from Sorby or similar. You can also make them quite easily from tool steel, allen wrenches and the like.

Wolf Kiessling
01-01-2004, 11:33 PM
I am kicking the idea around that I would like to try turning a few Hollow Vessels. Does anyone have any recommendations for Hollowing Tools? I have looked at a few, and although the selection is limited, I was interested to know what the veteran turners among us suggest. I know I could fabricate my own......but with a sudden lack of extra time, that I would rather spend Woodworking than building tools, and some extra Christmas Cash on hand, I was looking to purchase. If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or comments on the various Hollowing Tools available, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say. Thanks in advance again.........I ask a lot of questions at times, huh? :D

Kevin, when I decided to go into deep hollowing I tested the Dennis Steward, Jamieson, Kelton and Pro-Forme systems. I decided I liked the rear captive systems the best. At that point I decided on the Jamieson system. I can see from Jim's pic above, he and I went the same route. One of the reasons I chose the Jamieson system is that I spent very little money on it. The stabilizer handle, boring bar and associated cutters/scrapers with their holders were machined by a friend of mine and I built the secondary tool rest from wood. I did buy the laser measuring system and once I received it realized that I could have built it fairly easily for very little money and would possibly have ended up with a better unit. However, it does the job so I'm not grousing.

I also purchased the Sorby hooker tool to use in conjuction with the stablizer handle and found out that it won't work on small forms or small openings. I think Jim may have mentioned something about that. It is still necessary to use the arm brace with hooker tool to work with small openings. I really like the system though and use it even for hollowing regular size bowls. It just takes any stress out of turning and is extremely easy to use. I put SWMBO on the lathe, she had NEVER attempted turning before, and had her hollowing a bowl after just a couple of minutes instructions.

To sum it up, I would highly recommend the Jamieson system.

Wolf

Dan Barber
01-02-2004, 6:58 AM
I built my own version of the Jamison system, if you have any connections to someone with a welder they are an easy unit to fabricate. I made mine a bolt together arrangement. A link to the specifics is below.

Jamison Style Hollowing System (http://www.woodisourart.com/lathe/hollowingsystem/hollowingsystem.htm)

Dan

Steve Inniss
01-02-2004, 9:02 AM
Kevin, an article for you. -Steve http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/scorpion.pdf