PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry box hinges

Matt P
05-03-2007, 6:46 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages to mini barrel hinges vs. slot (kerf) hinges? I see a lot of street sold jewelry boxes (probably made in Indonesia or something) and they all have slot hinges.

Thanks!
Matt

Mike Henderson
05-03-2007, 7:21 PM
My opinion is that quadrant hinges (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=46487&cat=3,41241,41264)are the best looking and functioning for something like a jewelry box. They are a bit more difficult to install but probably not much more difficult than mini barrel hinges.

Mike

Matt P
05-03-2007, 7:45 PM
Thanks but ughh.. I'd like to avoid mortising!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Every time I build a little hinged box I end up in the same position:
I can't find one single hinge I like or my walls are too thin to tolerate anything out there. Sooo I end up making my own. Then of, course, I end up liking them better.

Custom hinges always make your work look more artistic even though it's craft and not fine art.

Or so according to my fine arts friends who insist that anything you can actually use for its intended purpose is craft and by definition can not be art. Odd how they are insisting that their work must, by definition, be utterly worthless for any practical purpose.

Matt P
05-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Every time I build a little hinged box I end up in the same position:
I can't find one single hinge I like or my walls are too thin to tolerate anything out there. Sooo I end up making my own. Then of, course, I end up liking them better.

Custom hinges always make your work look more artistic even though it's craft and not fine art.

Or so according to my fine arts friends who insist that anything you can actually use for its intended purpose is craft and by definition can not be art. Odd how they are insisting that their work must, by definition, be utterly worthless for any practical purpose.

I see.. I would like to see some pics of your hinges!

Ken Mutch
05-04-2007, 1:59 AM
Hi Cliff
Even better yet --- A tutorial !
Bet there would be a lot of interest.
Thanks,
Ken

Paul Johnstone
05-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I haven't tried to use it yet, but I got an incra hinge maker. (Which is basically just a drilling guide for the hinge pins).

It seems like you could make your own hinges even without an incra fence.

Basically, you'd need a router table and a finger joint jig..

Here's the directions:

http://www.incra.biz/Manuals/HingeCrafterManual.pdf

Lee Schierer
05-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Have you tried these? they work quite well and are pretty easy to install.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler/images/39578b-md.jpg

richard poitras
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
My opinion is that quadrant hinges (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=46487&cat=3,41241,41264)are the best looking and functioning for something like a jewelry box. They are a bit more difficult to install but probably not much more difficult than mini barrel hinges.

Mike

Mike, just wondering if you have tried the brand you are referring to and if so do you know if you can buy a template guild to install them and if so have you use it or have one and does it work pretty good , that is if you have one?….. Thanks

Matt P
05-04-2007, 6:39 PM
Those are the barrel hinges I am leaning towards - they seem EASY!! Thanks.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-04-2007, 6:47 PM
I see.. I would like to see some pics of your hinges!

I have a very simple hinge set coming up I'll endeavor to shoot some pics

Even better yet --- A tutorial !
Bet there would be a lot of interest.

Hmmm I may not be an adequate cameramen preferring fiddling with my work to shooting pics. But I'll give it a thought. This up coming hinge set is going to be very, very simple.

Mike Henderson
05-04-2007, 8:04 PM
Mike, just wondering if you have tried the brand you are referring to and if so do you know if you can buy a template guild to install them and if so have you use it or have one and does it work pretty good , that is if you have one?….. Thanks
I've used quadrant hinges but not the Lee Valley hinges. I just pointed to them because they were easy to find and Lee Valley has a good reputation. I don't think the quadrant hinges I used came with a template and I don't remember exactly what steps I went through to install them, but I think you can use the hinges themselves to mark out the locations.

I'm guessing but here's what I think I did. First, mark where the hole goes in the side of the box and drill the hole on a drill press. You'll actually have to drill a couple of holes because the piece that prevents the top from falling back is curved so you need a wider hole. Use a chisel to carefully cleanup the mortise created with the drilled holes. You can lay the hinge on top of the side to see that the hole is wide (front to back) enough for the hinge to work. The back of the hinge should be flush with the back of the back board.

Once the holes work properly, lay the hinge on the side and mark the outline of the hinge with a marking knife. Use a chisel or gouge and cut out enough so that the hinge is flush with the top of the side.

Now, measure the distance from the side of the side to the hinge and mark that same distance on the side of the top. Doing this accurately means that the box top will fit side to side. Lay the hinge on the top with aligned with your mark and flush with the back of the back board. Outline the hinge with a marking knife. Now, cut the shallow mortise to inlay the top of the hinge in the top.

Put ONE screw in each half of the hinge so the the top will work and check if the top is flush side-to-side and front-to-back. If it doesn't fit well enough that you can sand the box flush, you'll have to go back and adjust the hinges.

Once you're satisfied with the fit, put the rest of the screws in.

I know this sounds difficult but it's not as hard as this all sounds - it's about the same things you'd have to do for any hinges. Try it on a low value box first. Once you do it, it'll be easy the second time.

Good luck.

Mike

Corey Hallagan
05-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I like the knife or slot hinges a lot for small boxes. I would not use them for a big heavy jewelry box but for small trinket boxes I like them a lot. Easy to install and I think they look good. I am not a fan of the barrel hinges myself but alot of people use them.

Corey

Matt P
05-05-2007, 1:52 AM
I like the knife or slot hinges a lot for small boxes. I would not use them for a big heavy jewelry box but for small trinket boxes I like them a lot. Easy to install and I think they look good. I am not a fan of the barrel hinges myself but alot of people use them.

Corey

Why not a fan of the barrel hinges? Aesthetics or function/installation?
Tx,
Matt