PDA

View Full Version : Willow NE

Glenn Hodges
05-03-2007, 3:21 PM
Weeping willow NE 14 inches wide X 3.5 inches high finished with semigloss lacquer. Your comments, suggestions, and critiques are always appreciated.

Paul Engle
05-03-2007, 4:14 PM
Nice one Glenn, only thought would be to shrink the tennon/base to nothing or next to nothing. Looks a little clunky but then i dont have my glasses on either ...:(

Tom Sherman
05-03-2007, 4:27 PM
Pretty nice willow bowl there Glen

George Tokarev
05-03-2007, 4:38 PM
Got to love that broad, corky bark on willow. Good job.

Try some with less proportional depth for some real drama. Thick bark dresses them up real nice, and seems less inclined to warp east when the wood goes west in drying. .

Frank Kobilsek
05-03-2007, 4:45 PM
Glenn

I look a class in 2005 from Dale Nish. NE was the topic of the day. He would crititize this piece because you did not orient the wood so the two 'high points' would be close to equal from the horizontal. He said it balances the piece. While I don't know if I agree I've alway tried to follow the advice. I do like the off balance of yours.

This little rush of NE is amzing me. I've only attempted 6 or 7 in my carreer and get a fairly low level of bark retention. I have one due for my club meeting on the 14th and I only have one rough out. I hope to finish turn this weekend and join the NE craze here on the Creek Monday.

Frank

Glenn Hodges
05-03-2007, 5:31 PM
Frank, I could have made the lip on this one more equal, but it would have been a smaller bowl. It was a gift to me at a club meeting, and I have not seen willow this large often so I preceeded to make it as large as possible. Different strokes for dfferent folks, some like 'um balanced some don't, so I make um for everyone, balanced and unbalanced. Paul, I am inclined to agree with you, after posting the picture I think the foot is a little to large for the piece. I will try and watch this in the future. This is why I ask for suggestions, thanks.

Jim Ketron
05-03-2007, 5:42 PM
Nice piece Glenn!

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2007, 6:40 PM
Glenn - I like it! I actually like the offset center and the differing heights on the bowl edges! I do think that Paul has a point about the foot - less in this case would be more. Very nice NE! Will have to try one of these someday!

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2007, 9:20 PM
Glenn it is beautiful. I have chance at some Willow and wondered how it turned. I heard willow is hard to work with. Nice work.

Shane Whitlock
05-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Great NE Glen ... maybe a little smaller base but I like it with the uneven lips.

Glenn Hodges
05-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Bernie, willow is fairly soft and cuts easily. It is stringy, and will gum up a gouge with the strings so keep the gouge sharp. It being soft makes it difficult to sand because it is easy to scratch, but a big piece like this makes all the work worth while. Anyway I like to do different woods so when I am asked by someone if I have ever turned so-and-so I can reply, "Oh yea, I have turned some of that."

steven carter
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Glenn, Very nice NE bowl. I think it is ok to have the "unbalanced" look as well as balanced, depending on the look you are going for. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In my humble opinion, the slightly larger foot size is an asset in this piece (because of the unbalanced aspect), it seems to me to anchor the bowl, I fear a smaller foot would make it look precariously about to tip over. Just IMHO.

Jonathon Spafford
05-04-2007, 1:46 PM
I think I would have to agree with Steven... I can see it both ways about the foot, but I think this bowl looks close to perfect! Looks really nice!

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2007, 1:58 PM
Thanks Glenn. I have a chance to get some but it is what I call river bottom willow. Can't hurt to try it is free.

Keith Burns
05-04-2007, 2:28 PM
Glenn, another well executed piece. I agree on a smaller foot, but as far as being off center, I like it off center.

John Timberlake
05-04-2007, 9:28 PM
Really like this bowl. Love the color of the willow. I turn a piece last year and was surprised at the nice grain.

Ed Scolforo
05-05-2007, 9:16 AM
Glenn, I like the unevenness of the form, and as others have said, would probably prefer a smaller foot. I also like the less shiney finish on this one, as I commented before, but, as you said, you have to do what the customers want. Your NE's continue to raise the bar for the rest of us.
Ed