PDA

View Full Version : Freud Super Dado Problem

Gary Warren
05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Just recently purchased a Freud Super Dado set and have tried to cut various width dado's on different thicknesses of plywood and I continue to have the same results. It looks like each blade member is cutting a different depth. The only time I do not get this is when I only use the two outside blades? Is there something I am doing wrong? The cuts are currently so bad they are not usable. I have checked the shaft OD of my saw arbor shaft and it is consistently .623" in diameter throughout the length. Any help would be great.

Howard Acheson
05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
What saw and model do you have? Sounds like it may be a Sears or early Ridgid.

Don Wurscher
05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
As stated in the above note, if it is a early Sears Craftsman, the thread diameter just to the right of the hub shoulder is under cut, this allows the next cutter to drop down, below the level of the outside dado blade. I stack a couple of blade stabilizers next to the hub, to push the dado stack out, while I lose some on the maximum width I can cut, I get a square bottom doing this. Hope this helps with your problem.

Tom Cowie
05-03-2007, 4:40 PM
Just recently purchased a Freud Super Dado set and have tried to cut various width dado's on different thicknesses of plywood and I continue to have the same results. It looks like each blade member is cutting a different depth. The only time I do not get this is when I only use the two outside blades? Is there something I am doing wrong? The cuts are currently so bad they are not usable. I have checked the shaft OD of my saw arbor shaft and it is consistently .623" in diameter throughout the length. Any help would be great.

Hi Gary
I have used the Freud dado set for about six years and it does a fine job.

When I first got it the set did not cut a flat dado so I was very disappointed. I took it to a sharpening shop that confirmed that 5 teeth were not the same size. It was out from .003 to .007 .They resharpened the whole set with a Foley Bellsaw and did a fabulous job. It has been resharpened once since then and still cuts true.

This may not be your problem but it did cure mine. :)

Tom

Charles McCracken
05-04-2007, 8:05 AM
Gary,

I concur with Howard that your saw's arbor may be the culprit. The best way to determine this is by accurately measuring the arbor but you may also be able to tell by stacking the chippers in a different order and checking if the deep and shallow areas follow the chippers as they are moved. If you feel that the set is not ground correctly PLEASE do not do as Tom suggested since having the set ground will void the warranty. Instead return it to the retailer or to Freud for replacement.

Tom Cowie
05-04-2007, 8:33 PM
Gary,

I concur with Howard that your saw's arbor may be the culprit. The best way to determine this is by accurately measuring the arbor but you may also be able to tell by stacking the chippers in a different order and checking if the deep and shallow areas follow the chippers as they are moved. If you feel that the set is not ground correctly PLEASE do not do as Tom suggested since having the set ground will void the warranty. Instead return it to the retailer or to Freud for replacement.

So Charles,

The set is under warranty until it gets dull? :confused:

The retailer wouldn't take the set back and Freud wouldn't pay shipping until they determined that it was a manufacturing defect, so I was told at the time . I bought the dado set to use, so sharpening was my quickest option. It may have voided a warranty but I don't expect to use Freud's warranty very often.:) I own plenty of Freud bits and blades and I'm very satisfied with them all. I'm sure it was not normal for this set to have problems.

A replacement set overnight UPS would have been nice but wasn't offered.

What would Freud have done if I had sent the set back and the teeth were not cutting true?

Tom

Charles McCracken
05-06-2007, 5:40 PM
So Charles,

The set is under warranty until it gets dull? :confused:

The retailer wouldn't take the set back and Freud wouldn't pay shipping until they determined that it was a manufacturing defect, so I was told at the time . I bought the dado set to use, so sharpening was my quickest option. It may have voided a warranty but I don't expect to use Freud's warranty very often.:) I own plenty of Freud bits and blades and I'm very satisfied with them all. I'm sure it was not normal for this set to have problems.

A replacement set overnight UPS would have been nice but wasn't offered.

What would Freud have done if I had sent the set back and the teeth were not cutting true?

Tom

The warranty is to cover you against defects in materials and workmanship. If the tool makes it through the life of the original grinding it is presumed to be free of defects and the sharpener then takes over responsibility.

I am sorry to hear that the retailer would not take your dado back. That is really unusual. We will take them back directly for warranty coverage but, as you found, the delay could cause a problem. That's why we always recommend the retailer as the first and best option. A Freud dado that does not cut a flat bottom is highly unusual but in the event one is returned it is replaced with a new set and the defective one is destroyed.

Tom Cowie
05-06-2007, 6:30 PM
The warranty is to cover you against defects in materials and workmanship. If the tool makes it through the life of the original grinding it is presumed to be free of defects and the sharpener then takes over responsibility.

I am sorry to hear that the retailer would not take your dado back. That is really unusual. We will take them back directly for warranty coverage but, as you found, the delay could cause a problem. That's why we always recommend the retailer as the first and best option. A Freud dado that does not cut a flat bottom is highly unusual but in the event one is returned it is replaced with a new set and the defective one is destroyed.

Thanks for the reply Charles,

"Destroyed" :eek: How could you say that :eek: That's it guy's I think that we should start a "rescue society" for Freud stuff :D

Charles in all seriousness ,I know Freud makes great equipment that they stand behind ..
Tom