PDA

View Full Version : ADA signs

Brian Robison
05-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm sure this had been gone over before so apologies.
I opened my big mouth and now I need to make some ADA signs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Does it really cost $1600.00 just to be able to cut some holes and stick some dots in or am I reading something wrong?

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Depending on how many you got, you can do it yourself with not too much trouble. I make a handfull a month, and I work through it. If I had many more, I'd probably do something else.

I raster the holes (I think Keith is the one who mentioned it in the first place, so I followed his lead), then you glue in 1/16" dia. acrylic balls from McMaster Carr. About $6 for 500 of them.

It takes some trail and error, and keep in mind, all ADA signs use Grade II Braille which is quite different than typing in the letters and converting them to a braille font.

I bought a program for $20 that converts what you type in to Grade II and it's helped me a lot (and it was a download, so I got it shortly after ordering it).

Did you get a few or many? If it's many, you might be able to sub out the braille to someone on this forum who has the proper system. I think Larry Bratton has them, maybe he can help.

Brian Robison
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for Scott.
Thanks. Where did you get the font program?

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Check out this thread :

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25909&page=2&highlight=braille

Also, here's the link to the place I got it from. I actually ordered a book, and found out it was in braille by emailing them, then I told the guy what I was trying to do and he told me about the software. Not sure if I ever found it on their site or not. You can call or email them about it.

http://www.braillebookstore.com/

Make sure you read the 2nd page of that thread above where I talked about the software. It's a bare bones tool, but it works. Then you'll need the braille font. Print out the Grade 2 and then match the right fonts up and size the font correctly for the balls and you're all but done.

Brian Robison
05-03-2007, 11:19 AM
For some reason when I click the first link it won't work.

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Use the search function and enter braille and it's called ADA Braille by Joe Pelonio. Read that thread all the way through.

That's all I linked too.

Larry Bratton
05-03-2007, 6:40 PM
Scott:
What power settings did you end up with to raster those holes? I would like to try it with the raster balls. As you stated, I do own a license to use that system, but to laser them would be interesting to try.

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2007, 7:27 PM
I've PM'd you Larry