PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Curves?

Charles Jackson III
05-03-2007, 9:38 AM
I am wondering would the Bosch 1590EVSK jigsaw do a good job at cutting curves? my current jigsaws are just junk. u cant even get a decent curve with them. and also how thick of boards can u cut with the Bosch.

Jim Becker
05-03-2007, 9:42 AM
The Bosch you ask about is a good tool and should work fine for the job you are asking about. My very similar Festool PS300 EQ will cut accurately in 3" material and I expect that the Bosch with the blade guides will perform similarly. Both of these tools are designed much better than the lower end tools...

Don Bullock
05-03-2007, 9:44 AM
Jim's response above came in while I was typing. he knows his machines much better than I do for sure. I'll still leave my ideas as an alternative way of looking at your problem.

I'm sure that those more experienced woodworkers will correct me, but I think a bandsaw is much better for cutting curves in thick material than a jigsaw. If you want to just cut curves even a 10" bandsaw would work. It just depends what your cutting needs are.

Jim Becker
05-03-2007, 9:52 AM
I do agree with Don, that for a lot of curved work a bandsaw is preferable. I was only answering the direct question asked...and there are times when a jig saw is still the right tool.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-03-2007, 9:55 AM
The Bosch is a great tool. I got the D handle from BORG for $159.00 and I'm so glad I did. I think it's every bit as good than the festertool so long as you don't need dust control and if DC isn't an issue then it's way better cause you can get it way cheaper.

They both use the same blades, they both leave a glassine smooth finish, and they both work great so really it's a question of DC.

Terry Beadle
05-03-2007, 9:59 AM
You might not be using the right blade. Try a Bosche A101. They give an extremely smooth cut and will turn pretty tightly. Jigsaws can't compete with a tuned bandsaw with a 1/8th or 1/4 blade for curve cuts. Of course they cost quit a bit more. The A101 will cut about a 2 inch thick board but I wouldn't do that thick of stock with a jig saw unless I didn't have any other choice. If you need to cut thick stock, then you have to go with a long blade and agressive tooth to keep the jig saw from heating up etc.

Craig D Peltier
05-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I have that jigsaw, about 1 month ago I cut into 1 5/8 oak , I had no trouble. I then tried it the other day, this piece (1 5/8 oak) had more curves and I had trouble with the blade not giving me a straight cut all the way through, it flexed.Meaning it was like this / I put in a new blade and the same thing.It was too thick and my bandsaw was broke , so I had to file some.

Andrew Williams
05-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I have used mine for mahogany 1.5" no problem. You have to go very slowly to get a good true cut from top to bottom. The Varispeed feature and variable orbit are nice too as you can fine-tune the cut for different types of stock. Recently did hard maple 3/4" thick using speed 3 and orbit 1. The slower speed helps keep the blade cooler.

Charles Jackson III
05-03-2007, 3:01 PM
Thanks guys for the help.

Tim Sproul
05-03-2007, 7:15 PM
I'm sure that those more experienced woodworkers will correct me, but I think a bandsaw is much better for cutting curves in thick material than a jigsaw.

Not more experienced but here is something to mull over.

I'm helping my neighbor with an arbor. He's got 12 foot 4x12 doug fir pieces he wants corbels cut at the ends of. I'd like to see someone do that on a bandsaw in a typical home shop.

Festool jigsaw is a better option in that case, for me. When the work is too large to handle safely, brind the tool to the work.

Andrew Williams
05-03-2007, 7:34 PM
festool jigsaws cut 4 inches deep???

Tim Sproul
05-04-2007, 12:40 AM
I used the 145 mm long blades. It is slow going and I wouldn't try that thick in a more dense wood like oak or maple but in doug fir, it worked out.

Bruce Benjamin
05-04-2007, 2:58 AM
Bosch does sell a dust port for their jigsaw. I have the 1591 and bought the dust port and it works very well. I don't know that it's as efficient at DC as the, "Leading brand" but if you want dust control and want a great jigsaw you can have both with the Bosch, (and save a bundle of money at the same time).

Bruce

The Bosch is a great tool. I got the D handle from BORG for $159.00 and I'm so glad I did. I think it's every bit as good than the festertool so long as you don't need dust control and if DC isn't an issue then it's way better cause you can get it way cheaper.

They both use the same blades, they both leave a glassine smooth finish, and they both work great so really it's a question of DC.