PDA

View Full Version : How do you get your lumber home?

Brian Penning
05-03-2007, 7:29 AM
Set a new record this morning filling up my Venture -$83!!(Cdn) Makes one think.
I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a smaller car and one of those trailers you see for about 1K at Home Depot. I have the room to store a trailer so no problem there.
Thinking of something along the lines of a Matrix or Mazda 3 hatchback.
The minivan is so handy though. Can carry 10' long boards with the rear door closed.
I'd hate to get a small car and regret it later on.
How do you folks carry your lumber home? Any thoughts?

Wilbur Pan
05-03-2007, 7:37 AM
I don't have much choice, but I've learned how to fit 8 foot boards into a Toyota Camry.

Mike Cutler
05-03-2007, 7:42 AM
Toyota Tacoma is my lumber hauler.
I have to pick up a 16'x3'x2" thick board tommorrow, so I'll probably use the horse trailer to haul that. Should be an interesting trip.
The $$$$ of fuel is going to effect everything. My truck only gets~20mpg, but it's paid for, so I guess I just have to deal with it.

Rob Russell
05-03-2007, 7:44 AM
I use this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2884&d=1067566271

It's important to note that I bought the truck for hauling stuff. For example, I picked up 500' of black birch from a sawyer about a month ago. The truck is 3 1/2 years old and I just rolled over 10,000 miles on it. Obviously, it doesn't get used for much - other than hauling stuff or driving it once every other week just to use it.

Ron Hedrick
05-03-2007, 7:55 AM
2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, drop down the back seats and it holds quite a lot. If you have something really long open the tailgate window and let it hang out. If it's something really, really big, full 4x8 sheets, etc., call the son-in-law, he has a Ford F250.

Tom Jones III
05-03-2007, 8:00 AM
If you are thinking of selling a car and buying a new one, then buying a $1000 trailer, don't forget $100 for the hitch, lights, etc, how much are you going to be out of pocket? It could be a lot if you are selling a used car to buy a new car. If you are going to save $10-$20 even $40 a week how long will it be until you've paid off what you spent?

Andrew Williams
05-03-2007, 8:09 AM
Not to mention the cost of rebuilding your transmission a few times unless you buy a truck that can handle a trailer. At least get a tranny cooler.

2002 GMC Envoy, 12 foot enclosed Car-Mate box trailer. Combination MPG = 15-17

but for most purposes, fortunately I have a honda two-seater

Rod Sheridan
05-03-2007, 8:25 AM
Hi Brian, we just went through the same exercise this spring, do we buy another mini van or a small car and use a trailer?

The mini van holds lumber, and motorcycles, so does a small car and trailer.

Our children are in the post secondary phase of their education, so we rarely travel as a family, and the mini van looked less and less attractive.

We wound up buying another mini van, however it only gets used to commute to work for about 5 months of the year. The remaining 7 months I ride my R90/6 BMW, which gets about 50 MPG. Fuel consumption averages out nicely through the year.

Next time, it will definitely be a car and trailer..........Rod.

P.S. I don't mind high fuel prices, it seems to be the only thing that makes North Americans conserve it.

glenn bradley
05-03-2007, 8:38 AM
Honda Civic with the seats folded down; 8 - 10' boards, no problem. Sheet goods fit in the LOML's Tacoma but just barely (short bed). The initial outlay for a change of vehicle and a trailer setup will buy a lot of gas. Take the emotion out of it and do the math so you are looking at it clearly. I share your frustration at the pump$.

Charles Wilson
05-03-2007, 8:45 AM
The lumber yard that I go to gives free delivery in my area.

If I need to, I can use my VW wagon (The yard will dimension plywood.) or my FIL has a 2500 Silverado (and I pay him for the diesel he uses).

Chuck

David Weaver
05-03-2007, 8:54 AM
Honda accord here - only disappointment with it is that it's the 2-door model and there is support for the seats on the outside, so the opening from the trunk to the front of the car is really only about 2 feet wide, rather than 4.

If the wood is too big for that, then I just rent a van. It's a lot cheaper to rent something like that once or twice a year than it is to buy it, pay higher insurance, and pay for the difference in gas. Enterprise is at the bottom of the hill on one side, and uhaul is next to it, so it's easy to pick if you want to pay $19 a day plus miles charge, or $100 for the weekend with no miles charge. Last trip was from Pittsburgh to Olean NY, so it was pretty easy to decide to rent from enterprise.

Steven Herbin
05-03-2007, 8:58 AM
Lumber yard delivers for $10 extra (w/ minimum order).

Greg Cole
05-03-2007, 9:09 AM
Toyota Tacoma here. Shoulda taken a pic of it last weekend with 16' PT 2 X 10's and some shorter 2X & 4X PT lumber too.
It's paid for, don't care what the gas mileage is to be honest, I drive about 5 miles one way to work & back and don't run around in my spare time.

Greg

Jim Becker
05-03-2007, 9:11 AM
When I divested myself of my beloved Tundra pickup after adopting our girls, I went with a trailer that could be towed behind my Highlander Hybrid. (my "family" car", as it were) That said, Tom's comments do apply...and his $100 number is very low relative to the cost of equipping a vehicle for towing. But having a small utility trailer is really nice. It adds a lot of flexibility and a means of keeping your passenger vehicle cleaner and in good repair. IMHO, it's a good solution to help cut your normal driving costs while retaining the ability to pick up bulk items.

On caveat: be sure you understand what the towing limitations would be for any vehicle you are considering. This is very important for both safety and to insure you don't damage a very expensive investment. (And for a small utility trailer, there is no need for any kind of "tranny cooler" setup. That's important for serious towing, but not for incidental local use)

Oh, the option of picking up a "beater" pickup truck should still be on the table if you can register and insure it for minimal cost...you may be able to find something serviceable for the cost of a decent trailer. I seriously considered that but felt the trailer better fit my needs as mine can also handle my tractor (sans BH and FEL) if I need to get it somewhere for service.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-03-2007, 9:12 AM
Bought a used F-350 4WD 460.....4:10 rearend....5 speed man. I have only put about 11,000 miles on it in 10 years....

Rob Wright
05-03-2007, 9:15 AM
I have a VW Diesel Golf that gets about 50 mpg. I can fold the seats down and pass a pretty good piece through to the front seat. I find that if I am buying only a few boards at my local supplier, he will let me use his chop saw to break them down. I rarely need the 8-ft lengths but have done it before. Most of the time I am breaking them down to 4' to 6' lengths based on what I am building. I also have broken down sheet goods with a guide rail and skilsaw and loaded the pieces into the hatch. I also have an old beater that SWMBO won't let me keep at home - a 91 Toyota Land Cruiser with 300k miles :D - I can fold the seats in that and get a fair amount of lumber into it with the tailgate down. Only gets 10 mpg so I only drive it for hunting and getting wood. If I have a bigger order ($300 or more) my guy will deliver for a small fee.

Trying to save money on fuel by buying a new car is a difficult thing to calculate. Tom J explained it well - it can take a fair amount of time even with gas prices the way they are to get your money back. I was driving 1100 miles a week when prices were $1.50 a gallon and only getting 10mpg, so it made sense for me to upgrade to a small diesel. My mileage checks from my former employee paid for that car pretty quickly ( made $264 per week with the toyota - made almost $400 per week in the VW when gas was $1.50) That "extra" money was the only thing I miss from working that job!

Larry Fox
05-03-2007, 9:16 AM
I use an old F-150 4x4 which I have had since new and my heart just won't let me get rid of despite the fact that I should have 5 years ago. It is a pos though and fluctuates in value depending on how much gas is in it.

If you are considering investing in a 1K trailer you, depending on how many times you make the trip, might consider renting something. Rent on a truck local for an hour or so and a small number of miles can't be that much.

Trailer option does offer you a lot of additional utility though. The point made above about the hitch and the additional maintenance is not to be discounted though.

Don Bullock
05-03-2007, 9:56 AM
I have a Chrysler Town and Country van with the fold flat seats that we use to haul our dogs around to dog shows.

When I need to haul lumber, especially plywood, I have to take all the dog crates out along with all the other equipment we take to the shows. When empty of all that it will hold full width sheets of plywood flat in the back (I think the van must have been designed by a woodworker:D ). To carry it without cutting the plywood to length requires the back door to be left open. I can haul 11' lumber with the back closed by placing one end on the dash. For a 12' board I put one end through the sun roof.

Andrew Williams
05-03-2007, 10:07 AM
(And for a small utility trailer, there is no need for any kind of "tranny cooler" setup. That's important for serious towing, but not for incidental local use)

Oh, the option of picking up a "beater" pickup truck should still be on the table if you can register and insure it for minimal cost...you may be able to find something serviceable for the cost of a decent trailer. I seriously considered that but felt the trailer better fit my needs as mine can also handle my tractor (sans BH and FEL) if I need to get it somewhere for service.

For a few hundred bucks a tranny cooler is not worth it? Small utility trailers may not have a lot of mass but they sure make a nice air-brake. I would get the cooler, it will only help your tranny anyway. Whats a $200 cost compared to a $2500 tranny rebuild?

Jim Becker
05-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Andrew, a cooler may not even be available for many of the smaller vehicles due to space limitations...but I'm not a car person.

Jeff Heil
05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but FWIW, we own a Tundra pickup and a Sequoia SUV. Both are full size and full frame vehicles and can haul wood and tow. We are paying more in gas, but also justify the fuel costs by the safety of the larger vehicles and the larger crumple zone around the ones we love.

I was hit head on in a Ford Crown Vic at highway speed in Oct of 2000, the car was totaled but I walked away. As a deputy sheriff for ten years I have seen the sometimes tragic downside to smaller vehicles in crashes. It's simply physics, the larger mass wins.

Consider your safety and that of your family in addition to how much 4/4 oak you can haul. Gas is a small cost of owning a vehicle when you calculate purchase costs, maint. and insurance costs.

Matt Day
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I have a Subaru Forester which can hold 9' lumber inside with the hatch closed. The rare times I've gotten a 10' board I'm strapped it to my roof rack. That being said, it's a PITA and I have to have the passenger seat folded down, so it's solo trips only.

I just bought a 1 1/4" hitch for it ($170 shipped) and a 4' x 8" trailer with 12" wheels from Harbor Freight for $200. The trailer technically works for hauling lumber after assembly (which takes at least 1/2 a day) but has no bed or enclosure. I figure I'll invest another $50 in PT wood. So a hitch ($170), trailer ($200), PT lumber ($50), and licensing ($25), totals $445 for a 4x8 trailer ready to go. The biggest reason is to be able to haul sheet goods. I'll of course use for much more than lumber runs, so I plan to get more than my money's worth.

Eddie Watkins
05-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't know how people exist without a pickup:confused: . I have a GMC crewcab with a 5.5' (which is almost too short), a 10' trailer for longer stuff and a 18' trailer for really long stuff and my tractor. The P/U will haul up to 10' lengths fairly well but I usually have my tools in it so the 10' trailer is method of hauling of choice. There is an expanded wire dropdown ramp on the trailer and I am amazed at how much wind it catches. The truck has a trailer towing package and I always engage the trailer towing button ( at the end of the steering column) when I am pulling anything. If I were going to tow a trailer with a vehicle not made to tow, I would sure go slowly and try to not strain the transmission and buy as light of a trailer as I could find and make sure nothing sticks up that can catch wind.

Eddie

Al Willits
05-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Lots of good suggestions, but it to me kinda depends on how much wood you get.
If your a weekend warrior, I doubt you'd need anywhere the hauling that the pro does, but they probably have it delivered....

I already have the pu truck and it so far has done me just fine, I run into that shed full of free 18'x24"x8/4 bubinga slabs and I'll go rent a trailer to haul it.

With gas going up, we've talked about buying something that gets better mileage for our next vehicle, but its hard to find a vehicle that gets 28mpg and has a towing capacity that we need....o-well.
May just keep the truck and buy a econo car for day to day stuff.

Al

Brad Townsend
05-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I've got a '03 4WD Ford Ranger that now only gets used on cargo runs. All of our personal driving now gets done with the hybrid my wife got a month ago. I was not overly excited about her getting it, but the 45mpg looks real good right now.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but FWIW, we own a Tundra pickup and a Sequoia SUV. Both are full size and full frame vehicles and can haul wood and tow. We are paying more in gas, but also justify the fuel costs by the safety of the larger vehicles and the larger crumple zone around the ones we love.

I was hit head on in a Ford Crown Vic at highway speed in Oct of 2000, the car was totaled but I walked away. As a deputy sheriff for ten years I have seen the sometimes tragic downside to smaller vehicles in crashes. It's simply physics, the larger mass wins.

Consider your safety and that of your family in addition to how much 4/4 oak you can haul. Gas is a small cost of owning a vehicle when you calculate purchase costs, maint. and insurance costs.
I understand what you are saying and certainly appreciate the validity of the personal experience on which you base you feeling, but unfortunately it makes car/truck buying kind of like an arms race where he with the most vehicle mass always wins.

There is more than the cost of gas involved. There is the economic and security cost to our children over the long term as we become ever more dependent on foreign oil. There are certainly needs for some of us to have SUVs and large pickups, but if EVERYBODY insists on driving one purely for safety reasons, our kids are going to be held as economic hostages to a lot of foreigners we don't like very well.

Nancy Laird
05-03-2007, 12:52 PM
We have an '02 Ford F-150 2WD Triton V-8 that serves us just fine. We loaded and hauled 300 bf of cherry from West Tennessee to New Mexico in it (one trip) and 300 bf of oak from West TN to NM on another trip. Rides like a dream with that kind of load in it, and we get 16-18 mpg on road trips. It will also carry 4x8' sheet goods flat between the wheel wells. We also have a 10' closed utility trailer to haul finished products in. If it's only a few pieces, they will usually fit into my Windstar minivan, which gets 20-plus mpg in town and better on the open road.

Nancy

Mike Murray
05-03-2007, 1:16 PM
I use the wife's Chev Suburban. With the middle seats folded down and the back seat removed, I can haul full sheets of plywood with the back doors closed. It's tight, but it fits. As somebody else said, almost looks like it was designed by a woodworker. I can haul 9' boards with the back doors closed, no problem, by setting them on-edge corner-to-corner. 10' boards can fit, but require some creativity like setting one end on the center consol or moving the passenger seat up all the way (which my son doesn't like because then he has to ride home in the back with the wood; he's 6-3). I usually shop at Austin Hardwoods in Dallas and they are very good about letting me pick through the stacks for 9' pieces.

I also have a '97 Ford Ranger, but rarely use it for hauling wood because the bed is so short. I'm not comfortable leaving the tailgate down with my expensive haul hanging out the back.

I'd love to have a trailer, but I just don't think it would get enough use to justify the cost. When/if we sell the Suburban, I will probably get one.

Jason Beam
05-03-2007, 1:25 PM
My '97 chrysler cirrus, a $200 trailer hitch and a $300 utility trailer from Harbor Freight. 3 sheets of OSB and it's perfect.

1) Crappy gas mileage is optional (unlike with a truck/van/semi).
2) I'm not the "Friend with a pickup" :D
3) WAY cheaper than swapping out one of the two cars for a pickup.

Those were my reasons. After 2 years, I've hauled more stuff with that little trailer than I ever though i might. My 8" jointer, a 400lb slab of maple bowling alley, a 60gal air compressor, countless lumber runs. Should I move, this trailer will probably be all I need.

Al Killian
05-03-2007, 1:40 PM
I would go with the trailer. It is much cheaper and comes in handy. As far as a cooler goes, if you plan on hualing large amounts of materail(OVER 600 POUNDS)then yes a coller is needed. If you are only hauling a couple hundred then no it is not needed. You have to look at the car. What is it rated for( max. passengers). Then figure the that compare it to the weight of the trailer. Most are not going to be putting a strain on the trailer. If you plan on hauling large loads for long distance over steep hills then it migh be worth haveing the tranny valve body upgraded($400-$550). Just my input.

Ron Blaise
05-03-2007, 2:02 PM
a truck??? Man everyone down here has a truck. I have hauled as much as 350 BF in an old Dodge van before. Then I got another truck

Rick Levine
05-03-2007, 2:59 PM
I too have a Ford F-150 with an 8' bed and a camper shell so the wood stays dry even in the rain. It also allows me to leave the wood in the truck if I don't have time to unload it. I got a good deal on a '95 with low milage which made the deal even better.

Randal Stevenson
05-03-2007, 3:11 PM
I have a 94 Ranger that I bought (worked part time at a garage), with a "blown" (damaged) motor for $200. Kid brought it down, with a "why is it making all this noise" question. He'd been driving it, on ONE quart of oil. (think it was an excuse for mommy and daddy to get him a new one).
Put a new motor in it, new clutch, brakes, tires, shocks, and gave it a clean up (2.3L , 5spd). Runs good, gets around 21 in town. Keeping my eye out for another Festiva, got 35 mpg, in my old one. But it had been hit 5 times since I had it, both window tracks busted and the sunroof leaked (frozen out of the car). You might think the other way. Keep the vehicle, and find a smaller used 4 cylinder, for your daily driver/econobox. When you need to take the kids all over town (soccer, baseball, hockey, etc) and then need to go to the hardware store/lumber run, take it. Just going to work, take the econobox. Also gives you a backup in one is in the shop.

Chip Olson
05-03-2007, 3:38 PM
If I'm picking up a lot of plywood or something, I borrow a friend's truck (she keeps it around for haulage and is happy to lend it out). For smaller stuff, I take the kid seat out of the car (Subaru Legacy wagon), fold down the seats and it's good for up to about 6', or longer if I don't mind it sticking out the back.

Hank Knight
05-03-2007, 3:44 PM
I bought a Toyota Prius hybrid two years ago for the gas economy. It's a great car - 50 mpg on regular gas - I love it, but it's no good for towing. I needed a work horse so I kept my paid-for '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's a V8 and gets only about 16mpg on a good day; but it's really great for hauling stuff, including lumber and sheet goods (tied to the roof rack). The only better combination I can think of would be a pickup instead of the Jeep.

Justin James
05-03-2007, 7:44 PM
I work at a sawmill, so I can usually rough-cut stuff so it will fit in my econobox. If not, or if I have to buy sheet goods, etc, I just borrow the truck . . .

I guess this solution won't work for everyone though! :D

Steve Clardy
05-03-2007, 7:55 PM
Mine is delivered here to the shop

18 wheeler:D

Randal Stevenson
05-03-2007, 7:56 PM
On a more humorous, mod up/slashdot style post...

I had always joked about renting that truck at the borg, to go pick up some decent plywood, at my local distributer.

Jim Mattheiss
05-03-2007, 8:38 PM
I'm blessed on the vehicle front. LOML owns a business with a lot of rolling stock.

I picked up my craigslist Jet table saw with an appliance dolly (owner had removed rails and sides) and rolled it up the ramp and into the truck by myself. The Isuzu Box truck has cargo rails and load straps, so it rode securely to it's new home.

My dad came along for the ride, but didn't even get his hands dirty.

I used the same truck to pick up the 12 sheets of oak veneer plywood at my local lumberyard a while ago for a bookcase project.

Worst comes to worst, U-Haul offers $19.99 rentals of pickup trucks. Not sure the duration/mileage, but that's an option nobody has mentioned.

Cheers

Jim

Rob Will
05-03-2007, 8:43 PM
I can't believe so many people haul stuff in cars.

1.) It is dangerous.
2.) It tears up your interior.
3.) It takes more trips due to limited capacity.
4.) Greater risk of load loss or damage due to open doors and trunk lids.

A truck or lightweight utility trailer would be better. As far as the transmission coolers go, if your needs only involve light local and occasional towing, save your money. A vacation trip in the mountains with a couple of "large" people and thier luggage would be far worse on a transmission than towing a little utility trailer to the BORG every now and then.

IMHO, the real maesure of a truck is the ability to haul 4' x 8' sheet goods with the tailgate closed. Anything really long deserves a tandem axle 16' utility trailer. Around here new ones go for about $900 (w/ electric brakes).

Here's a simple little trick when tying down materials on a utility trailer:
Before loading your goods, lay your nylon ratchet straps out flat across the trailer and then place your materials on top of the straps. After loading, throw your straps across to the opposite side. This creates a loop that completly wraps your load. This works especially well when hauling multiple long boards or loose pipe:) .

Rob

Ray Bersch
05-03-2007, 9:11 PM
Well, I looked through all the posts and I guess I am unique in my choice of vehicles - my car is a '97 Volvo 960 Wagon - right now it is heading to Lake Placid driven by a friend who needs to haul furniture and household stuff to her summer home up there - it really hauls stuff. I can't quite get a full size sheet of plywood inside, so I usually have the yard make one pre-planned cut - but if I really need a full sheet I have roof racks and that works perfectly. I had to look hard to find this car with low miles, but I am more than satisfied. The other car is a 2007 Volvo XC - not as much hauling space but convenient none-the-less and a great all wheel drive vehicle with stability control.

Why two wagons?? Beats me, it seems like we fill them both when headed to Maine for the summer. Besides, we like the wagon over the SUV.

Art Mulder
05-03-2007, 9:26 PM

Rob, I'd say that this is one of those things that falls into the "if your only tool is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail" category.:rolleyes:

And as for tearing up the interior... I doubt that the occasional load of wood can do any more damage than my four kids. ;)

Al Killian
05-03-2007, 9:27 PM

1.) It is dangerous.
2.) It tears up your interior.
3.) It takes more trips due to limited capacity.
4.) Greater risk of load loss or damage due to open doors and trunk lids.

Rob

1) How is it dangerous to haul stuff in a car?
2) I lay a trap down and have yet to damage my car doing this.
3) I can safely hold 75 bdft in my car without any problems.
4) If the load is secured like it should be in any vehicle the I dont see where someone would lose a load or have damage.

Jim Heffner
05-03-2007, 9:38 PM
Well, for me it ain't too much of a problem....depends on which one of my trucks I'm driving at the time. (1) 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 or work truck is a '93 Chevy box truck ....either one will get the job done with no complaints ....a little easier to put full sheets of plywood or mdf into it
and pull the rollup door down closed and ride! Jim Heffner

Kevin Herber
05-03-2007, 9:54 PM
I sold my 97 Ford Ranger two years ago - 8 years old with 23k miles. Not used much so I got rid of it. Recently traded in my mini-van for a Prius. Figure I'm saving $200 per month in gas do to my 50+ daily commute. With the savings, if I need to haul anything I'll look into renting the truck from HD. Has anyone rented one before? Do you have to buy something in order to rent it? I can make it from HD to my preferred lumber dealer then on to the house and back to HD in less than two hours.

-- Kevin

Clint Winterhalter
05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
My Poor Brother In Law has a full size Chevy.
He is the only one in the family with a Truck.
The poor son of a gun spends his weekends hauling stuff for one of his siblings. He gives me a hand with lumber from time to time.
I fill his tank and buy him lunch and or dinner. (not cheap any more).
I've also repaid him by helping him with some major projects on his house..

In a pinch I grab the Depot Truck on occasion..
What ever it takes..

Clint

Alan Tolchinsky
05-04-2007, 2:05 AM

Jeff,

I agree completely. I think of the extra money spent on fuel for larger vehicles as buying "life insurance". But this is the kind of insurance that can actually save your life.. No doubt that ,all things being equal ,I'd rather be in the heavier, bigger vehicle in a crash. I just wish the bigger vehicles were more fun to drive.

Byron Trantham
05-04-2007, 8:47 AM
I use my 90' Nissan. It has 233,000 miles on it. I drive 5.5 miles to my distributor and if the load is too big (not often) I make multiple trips. I made a table that is stored above the garage door. When I need to process sheet goods, I lower the table, go get the [first] load back it up to the garage door opening and slide the sheets onto the table one at a time and cut them into smaller pieces. This keeps me from lifting a full 4x8 sheet. The truck can haul about seven sheets at a time.

David G Baker
05-04-2007, 9:11 AM
Wilbur,
I too use my Camry and have carried 10 footers by sliding them all the way up to the windshield. I have a few scratehes on my dash to prove it. I also have a 1983 Chevy 3/4 ton but never think of it when shopping for small orders.

Rob Will
05-04-2007, 9:24 AM
I just think it is dangerous to haul stuff like lumber inside of the passenger compartment. If you go to any BORG you will see somebody jamming large items into a car, often with long boards hanging out of the windows and the hatch left open. I simply put forth the question of how much does this lumber weigh and what happens to all that mass in case of an accident?

I'm sure everybody's idea of hauling lumber is different. A few small pieces of hobby wood is a lot different from an 8' mailbox post hanging out of the passenger window.....and that is a lot different from hauling an entire bundle of plywood.....or 16' poplar trim boards......or 27" x 12' white oak boards.

Rob

Jim King
05-04-2007, 9:38 AM
Nothing to it and we dont worry about scratches on the dash as there is none.

Paul Johnstone
05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree with the renting strategy of the previous poster. It's a little more work, but it can be very economical.

Rent a truck, and use it to run all your hauling errands for the day. If you can save up and buy enough sheet goods and hardwood to last 6 months-1 year, you can really save a lot of money. That's what I did before I had all my kids. With 5 kids, you are pretty much forced to have a van.

Alex Berkovsky
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
...I think of the extra money spent on fuel for larger vehicles as buying "life insurance". But this is the kind of insurance that can actually save your life...Since this thread has gone slightly OT... I hope you big vehicle proponents don't complain about the cost of gas at the pumps.
Back on-topic... I drive a 1996 Toyota Camry whose rear seat folds down and I am able to shove a few 8'-9' through the trunk. With the price of lumber in NYC, I am kind of happy that I can't fit more. :D Whenever I have to buy a 4'x8' sheet of ply, I make sure to take the plans with me and have them break it down slightly oversized.

Bruce Benjamin
05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Jim, I think most of those dents, dings, and scratches on the body will buff right out! :D Now that is a work truck.:cool:

Bruce

Dan McGuire
05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
In my opinion there is not a better vehicle combination for a woodworker with a family than a minivan/pick-up truck combo. Especially now that some manufacturers offer the fold away seats. Yeah, I don't get the milage of hybrid, but if I owned one I would have to pick which kids got strapped to the roof before I could go anywhere. Between my hemi dodge and my grand caravan there has been nothing I couldn't haul.

Bruce Benjamin
05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
I work at a lumber yard and see almost every load that leaves the yard while I'm there. Most of the contractors have a handle on securing their loads on trucks or trailers made for the job. But I'm amazed at what some people will use to haul lumber.

In the short time I've been working there I've seen some very scary loads. In the back side window, up between the front seats and up against the right front windshield. Aside from possibly scratching up the interior it can be deadly in an accident. Even a sudden avoidance maneuver can cause it to shift unexpectedly and hit either the driver or one of the passengers. I've also seen people using their side mirrors to haul lumber. Yeah, that'll work. Plenty of people,(every day) with short box pickups, (a waste of a good pickup in my opinion) put the lumber through the back sliding window and up onto the dashboard. It can damage the window track as well as the dashboard and if it's not very well secured it can slide left or right and hit someone in the front seat. On Monday I watched a guy load about a dozen pieces of bender board into his small import car. It went from through the driver's side rear window, through the interior, out the passenger side front window, over the side mirror and bent back and was secured to the front bumper with tape. I warned him it was unsafe but he just shrugged. I was tempted to call the Highway Patrol and tip them off but my boss said to just let him go. I wonder what a jury would say about our liability if the guy got into an accident on the way home. If that tape on the front bumper let go the boards were going to flip out about 4' to the right and possibly right into another car. That could cause a lot of people to drive right off of the road.

I used to work at a steel supply house/fabrication shop. At least once every couple of months I'd see someone pull in with a small car and ask to have the 20' lengths tied under their car to the front and rear bumpers! :eek: The guys doing the loading would refuse and instead just lay the steel out onto the street for the guy to drive over and tie up for himself. Insane! I've heard that people have tried to do that at the lumber yard too. It won't happen while I'm there. Side mirrors and bumper end caps were also frequently used to hold the steel.

Regarding using smaller cars or light trucks to pull trailers, keep in mind that if the manufacturer says you vehicle can pull a trailer that weighs XX amount that usually includes the weight of everything inside the vehicle including the passengers. Just recently there was another serious multi-car accident here because some idiot overloaded his utility trailer. His trailer was way too heavy for the car and it was loaded beyond the trailers capacity too. I don't remember how many other people were seriously injured but it wasn't pretty. But at least for a while the guy got great gas mileage and save a bundle of money because he didn't have to spend more money on a good truck! :rolleyes: You people who think you can haul lumber in ways your vehicle was never designed to do will probably get away with it. But how are you going to feel if you end up hurting or killing someone because of it? It absolutely happens and they probably use the same excuse as some of the posts in this thread. "I only do it occasionally and it's been fine up until now. I didn't think it would be a problem and gas is too expensive for a big truck."

I've also been a delivery driver for two different companies hauling both steel and pipe. I drove everything from pickups with racks to 2 axle flatbed straight trucks to single and double flatbed trailers. I know all about the ugliest loads you've ever seen. A few people I worked with sometimes gave me a hard time for being really anal about how I secured my loads. But I never lost any part of a load and the same can't be said for most of the other drivers. I recommend using ratchet straps or good rope and learn how to tie a, "Trucker's knot". Use more tie downs than you think you need and don't forget what might happen if you have to brake really hard. Don't rely on those cheap cast pot metal hooks that screw to the sides of pickups. My dad has those on his truck and he's broken and replaced almost every one of them at least once.

Oh yeah, I haul my lumber in the back of my Suburban. Longer lighter wood goes on the rack on top but only very light items. I get 10 to 12 miles per gallon because of the big 454 but it has great brakes and is the only thing I could afford that will keep lumber dry and pull a heavy camp trailer. It also hauls my family and all of our gear or a few of their friends if needed. With what I pay per day in gas for commuting, (about $10) I could probably afford to buy a cheap used car that gets good mileage. I'm considering it but at least for now I feel pretty safe.

Bruce

Cary Swoveland
05-04-2007, 4:53 PM
Lumber I can manage.

Sheet goods are the problem.

Cary

Al Killian
05-04-2007, 5:14 PM
So Bruce, you think everyone should buy a truck to haul lumber? Even if it can be safely and legally hauled using a car? Just because a few decide that they dont want to do things proper, doesnt mean the rest of us should get a bad rap. I for one have been using my car for years to haul lumber and other goods. If the load is more then a few hundred pounds then I will find a truck to get what I need. I refuse to by a truck just so I can use it once a month or so just to get maybe 50 or 100 bdft. Yes you should call the highway patrol if you see something illegal. You are just as guilty as those that dont secure there load.

Todd Jensen
05-04-2007, 5:31 PM
gee whiz, Al, take it easy. Bruce was making a valid point and just relaying his personal experiences. You can roll home on your bicycle with lumber tied to your head for all I care. I just prefer to roll like this: :cool: At 17mpg and diesel cleaner and cheaper than gas, I gotta say this is a lot better than the '83 audi 4000 I used to have to haul my tools around in, regardless of any money saved with better fuel mileage. My table saw never had a chance to come through my seat, but I gotta say I feel safer with 2 seats and some steel between me and my load.

Roger Bell
05-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I really do think Bruce makes some valid points....and who among us hasn't pushed the boundaries good judgment by asking a small car to do the job of a truck...."just this once"? I know I have....too many times........and I am ashamed that I have allowed excuses such as poverty or expediency to substitute for mature, responsible behavior. I used to see the same thing when I worked a "customer pick up" at JC Penney's in high school....with jerks thinking nothing of asking skinny high school boys to load 200# air conditioners, water heaters and what-not into their Karman Ghias. "It'll fit!" And off they went......no tip, no nothing.

I bought my first truck new and it lasted 27 years. I am on my second, a Tundra. I expect it to last at least twenty years. On average I need the truck once a week or so...a truck...not a toy. For everyday, I drive a Civic. Once in awhile, I will put a few sticks in it....properly placed and secured.

Bart Leetch
05-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Well it was a Ford beyond that it anyone guess!!!!

Bruce Benjamin
05-05-2007, 3:13 AM
So Bruce, you think everyone should buy a truck to haul lumber?

I don't think I ever said that at all. Read my post again. I think people should use whatever method is safe. Cars can haul some lumber but if it's not properly secured it usually isn't safe. I don't know if you are able to determine what is safe or not but I can. What about using a small trailer? That's far safer than putting lumber in any car provided the car can safely handle the weight and the load is properly secured. I'd bet I have as much experience with securing loads as anyone on this forum. But even with all of my experience, most of what I know is just common sense.

Even if it can be safely and legally hauled using a car?

"Safely" is the key. Just today my yard Foreman cut some 2x8's into 4' lengths so a guy could haul it laying down flat in the back seat of his car. That was reasonably safe. Not ideal in a bad accident but I didn't have a problem with it. You'd be surprised what is, "Legal" and what is not. If it's considered unsafe in the eyes of the cop then it's usually not legal. Just like the speed law that says you can only drive as fast as conditions allow.

Just because a few decide that they dont want to do things proper, doesnt mean the rest of us should get a bad rap.

I'm not sure if you really read my post or not. Did I say or imply that, "The rest of (you)" should get a bad rap?

I for one have been using my car for years to haul lumber and other goods. If the load is more then a few hundred pounds then I will find a truck to get what I need. I refuse to by a truck just so I can use it once a month or so just to get maybe 50 or 100 bdft.

Well, good for you and everyone you drive near. But weight isn't the only factor that determines safety. A couple of 2x6's don't weight too much but put one between the seats and on the dash and there's no way I would consider that safe. If you don't want to buy a truck that's fine with me. My Suburban pulls my travel trailer less than 95% of the time but when I need it I need it. I see a lot of idiots pulling trailers that are at or above the vehicles tow rating because they, only pull it a few times a year. It only takes one crash to kill someone.

Yes you should call the highway patrol if you see something illegal. You are just as guilty as those that dont secure there load.

I can't imagine how you came up with this determination. How do you figure I'm, "Just as guilty"? Are you saying I should report every unsafe load that leaves the lumber yard to the CHP? Or should I report every unsafe load I see anywhere? I warn the customers if I see something that, in my opinion, is unsafe. That's what my boss told me to do. If I refuse to let them leave the yard with an unsafe load then I'd be fired immediately. Do you report every unsafe or illegal load you see? In my state helmets are required by all kids riding a bicycle. Most don't wear them. Am I just as guilty as their irresponsible parents if I don't call the police? Would/do you? I'm not a police officer and I'm not certain what is considered illegal. But I do know that any load considered unsafe by a CHP is also generally considered illegal. There's going to be a variation between cops and there's also specific laws that determine such things. I'm pretty familiar with laws regarding commercial trucking and I'm also pretty familiar with what is unsafe in any vehicle. It's a matter of opinion of course and you are certainly entitled to yours.

Bruce

Al Killian
05-05-2007, 3:24 AM
Yes, atleast in NY if you have a vehicle in your place of employment you are supposed to report unsafe vehicles. If the have a accident the can come back on your place of employment. This was told to me by the DOT( Department of transportation). It is also in there handbook. I dont go around looking for reasons to call the cops, but if I see something that is truly unsafe, then yes I will call.

Rob Will
05-05-2007, 7:43 AM

The next thing you know, Jim will be installing pontoons to take the "beast" down the Amazon;) .

I went to Iquitos back in the 80's. I'm thinking that truck went by with about 25 people on-board!

Great truck Jim!

Tom Hamilton
05-05-2007, 9:23 AM
Hauling sheetgoods in the SIL's 4X4 Silverado works well...we just have to arrange a vehicle trade for that day.

Usually I just slide lumber in the back of my Toyota Sienna van. Fold the seats out of the way, and use the in floor tie downs to secure the boards.

Once home it is quickly converted back to the granddaughter hauler with DVD and headphones!

Drive safely, Tom

Bruce Benjamin
05-05-2007, 9:30 AM
I'm in California, (Far Northern). I know of no such law here but if they had one I suspect it would be unenforceable. In a legal sense, define, "Unsafe". There are the specifics defined by the DOT but there are plenty of things that I consider to be very unsafe that aren't defined. You can sue anyone for anything but I doubt that NY or any other state is going to arrest me for a failure to report an, "Unsafe" condition. So how many times have you seen and reported something, "Truly unsafe"? Ever?

Bruce

Yes, atleast in NY if you have a vehicle in your place of employment you are supposed to report unsafe vehicles. If the have a accident the can come back on your place of employment. This was told to me by the DOT( Department of transportation). It is also in there handbook. I dont go around looking for reasons to call the cops, but if I see something that is truly unsafe, then yes I will call.

Bart Leetch
05-05-2007, 9:43 AM
[QUOTE=Al Killian;579561]1) How is it dangerous to haul stuff in a car?
2) I lay a trap down and have yet to damage my car doing this.

Well I guess if you trap it tight enough it just may be safe.;) :D

Mark Singer
05-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Just a thought....:rolleyes:

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/zipcar_xm-2.jpg

Al Willits
05-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Big loads, need big rigs, which means lousy gas mileage, pretty much a given.
You use whatever vehicle you can I guess, but if you have 3000# of lumber, keep the Hugo at home and borrow a truck...imho..
Key to me is being safe and trying not to ask a vehicle to do something it wasn't designed for.

I see cars running down the freeway with mattress's on top, boards sticking out the passenger window, the back seat full of telephone books and the back end sagging so much it scrapes when they hit a small bump and I think these and others like them, are all a disaster waiting to happen.
You wanna kill yourself, fine, but don't involve somebody else that happens to be driving down the freeway too.

Al

Zahid Naqvi
05-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Ok guys lets not make this an argument between big cars and small cars, safe and unsafe driving practices and gas guzzlers vs environment friendly. Let's stick to the original question. Everyone has the right to choose their mode of transportation and have their reasons for doing so, let's not criticise others for their transportation choices. Just let us know how you do it and keep it at that.

thanks,
your friendly neighborhood moderator :D .

Zahid Naqvi
05-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Hauling sheetgoods in the SIL's 4X4 Silverado works well...we just have to arrange a vehicle trade for that day.

Usually I just slide lumber in the back of my Toyota Sienna van. Fold the seats out of the way, and use the in floor tie downs to secure the boards.

Once home it is quickly converted back to the granddaughter hauler with DVD and headphones!

Drive safely, Tom

Tom, I have the same vehicle and use the same process. What was that about great minds thinking alike :rolleyes:

Brian Penning
01-14-2009, 4:28 AM
Set a new record this morning filling up my Venture -$83!!(Cdn) Makes one think.
I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a smaller car and one of those trailers you see for about 1K at Home Depot. I have the room to store a trailer so no problem there.
The minivan is so handy though. Can carry 10' long boards with the rear door closed.

Just a little update since this post was initiated. I did regret it after all.
My Venture died 6 mths ago and I got a Pontiac Vibe.
Going to dump the Vibe and a Grand Caravan with Stow'n Go seats is on it's way.

Noah Vig
01-14-2009, 5:05 AM
In bed of my Ford ranger, long boards go on rack above topper. Going full size 4wd next time.

Guy Germaine
01-14-2009, 6:41 AM
Here's mine:

http://www.fototime.com/4FD13CC2A85DF02/standard.jpg

Jason White
01-14-2009, 8:24 AM
Dodge 1500 RAM long bed pickup truck. 8-foot bed with a plastic liner.

I can slide full eight-foot sheets of plywood in there slick as a whistle!
:p

Jason White
01-14-2009, 8:27 AM
That's the same truck I have, minus the extra cab.

I haul a LOT of stuff, especially for my job, so it made sense for me to buy it.

Your mileage may vary!

JW

I use this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2884&d=1067566271

It's important to note that I bought the truck for hauling stuff. For example, I picked up 500' of black birch from a sawyer about a month ago. The truck is 3 1/2 years old and I just rolled over 10,000 miles on it. Obviously, it doesn't get used for much - other than hauling stuff or driving it once every other week just to use it.

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 8:51 AM
a truck??? Man everyone down here has a truck. I have hauled as much as 350 BF in an old Dodge van before. Then I got another truck

Same here, everyone has a truck or two or three. The wives have trucks, the kids, aunts uncles. No one ever says can I borrow your car, they say, wheres your truck. I have two trucks a Chevy Equinox and and old escort wagon I use to beat around in some days. Three trailers, one enclosed so my wood hauling needs are all taken care of!!
Man life with no truck.........Cant see it!!

Marlin Williams
01-14-2009, 8:51 AM
Just a little update since this post was initiated. I did regret it after all.
My Venture died 6 mths ago and I got a Pontiac Vibe.
Going to dump the Vibe and a Grand Caravan with Stow'n Go seats is on it's way.

What was the big problem? Size, performance, etc...???

But I bought a beater truck. $1800 for a 1994 Mazda B4000. Runs well and we beat on it.

Myk Rian
01-14-2009, 9:23 AM
Here's a way to get lumber home.

Michael Poller
01-14-2009, 9:32 AM
I used to haul everything including full 4x8 sheet goods on the Thule roof rack installed on my 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight. A set of ratchet straps (the good thick ones with heavy ratchet mechanisms, not the cheap flimsy type) and things never moved or shifted even in emergency manuevers or stops, which I had to deal with a time or two.

Now-a-days I use the roof rack on my 2006 Rav4 for anything longer than 6 feet. Trusty ratchet straps will lock down 2 or 3 full size 4x8 sheets solidly. My only real limitation is the weight support of the roof rack, which if exceeded makes me turn to the family and friends with pickups for a day trade.

Dave Avery
01-14-2009, 9:33 AM
Ups........

Chip Lindley
01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Oil and water do not MIX. Neither do hybrid owners and pickup truck men! Imma pickup owner and I am blessed to be able to haul what I need in it! IF the load is TOO BIG, my neighbor has a 16' two-axel trailer, and I have the Hitch! As that Russian commedian usta say, "Eeesn't this a Great Kontry?!?!"

Whatever method you must use to transport big STUFF, think *what comes next* and be safe! After reading this thread, nobody here can plead ignorance regarding HAULING STUFF!

Brian Effinger
01-14-2009, 12:19 PM
2002 Chevy S-10 for me. It has taken anything I've asked of it. And I've seen the rear leaf springs frown at me on more than one occasion. If the load is too heavy/big I can always rent a trailer from U-haul for $25.

Jason Beam
01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
My '97 chrysler cirrus, a $200 trailer hitch and a $300 utility trailer from Harbor Freight. 3 sheets of OSB and it's perfect.

1) Crappy gas mileage is optional (unlike with a truck/van/semi).
2) I'm not the "Friend with a pickup" :D
3) WAY cheaper than swapping out one of the two cars for a pickup.

Those were my reasons. After 2 years, I've hauled more stuff with that little trailer than I ever though i might. My 8" jointer, a 400lb slab of maple bowling alley, a 60gal air compressor, countless lumber runs. Should I move, this trailer will probably be all I need.

Since we're updating :D

That post was in Feb. 2007. Later that year, we did end up moving. And the trailer was ALL we used. Every ounce of our posessions went on that trailer and moved the 2-3 miles to the new house. All of my tools, all of our furniture. All of my lumber, including the shed I keep it in (i built it to be collapsible for just this purpose).

A few months later, that poor little HF trailer was subjected to more. 35 rolls of insulation and a cargo net was most amusing. Later that day, though, I tested it's limits with 40 sheets of 1/2" 4x8 drywall. That was likely 2x the weight limit on every component (hitch, shocks, trailer, tires, etc). I went REAL slow and got home safely vowing I'd never try anything crazy like that again.

Last fall I picked up about 1200lbs of lumber for real cheap and hauled it home with that trailer. $300 bucks for that thing ... all in all, I think I may have almost $600 in it over the last 3 or 4 years I've had it. In that time, It has MORE than paid for itself; ten times over I suspect. I keep thinkin' I'll buy a sturdier one ... but until this little guy goes belly up, I see no need for that.

Not everyone needs a truck. Period.

Ray Schafer
01-14-2009, 1:26 PM
When I bought my mini-van, my wife wanted an SUV. I told her that as long as it could fit a sheet of plywood, I was good with it. We bought the van!

Jack Kenney
01-14-2009, 1:28 PM
I use my 2002 Toyota Highlander and a bit of creativity during the loading process. I tend to buy stock as I need it on a "per project" basis. I haven't done anything terribly ambitious to date, so the loads have been mostly small. But like most have said, a reasonable amount of 8' stock can be stuffed in around the seats and resting on the center console up by the ashtray and gear shift, and still I can close the gate. For larger loads, and sheet goods, I have a sawhorse-like contraption I set near the hatch opening, fold down the rear seats, and load in stock at a slant up against the front seats, resting on the wheel wells and the horse. I pull down the hatch as far as it goes, then just secure it with bungies. Just make sure I take it slow.... and it isn't raining.

I've often considered a small trailer, but I don't really have anywhere to put it, and I doubt it would get a lot of use anyway... therefore, difficult to justify the expense.

Good luck.

Brian Penning
01-14-2009, 1:33 PM
What was the big problem? Size, performance, etc...???

But I bought a beater truck. $1800 for a 1994 Mazda B4000. Runs well and we beat on it.

Mostly size, which equals convenience I guess. With a truck or minivan you don't have to think about anything -simply go to the store, buy it, load it up and bring it home.
Otherwise, here in Montreal I'd have to dig the trailer out of the snow, hook it up, & then go play on the slippery roads with a trailer. Did I also mention it's about 10 below zero at the moment? ;)

james bell
01-14-2009, 1:40 PM
I used a pickup truck for years - built a plywood holder for good veneer plywood. An 8' 2x4 as a base to hold the plywood, and on both sides build 4' walls to both stabilize the plywood and the base. Worked great, but when my daughter totaled the truck, I purchased a 5x10 landscape trailer and would not ever go back to a truck.

Wood, drywall, tractors, tillers, mulch, etc, is much easier with a trailer. And when I moved my shop (all my tools are on rollers) fairly easy to relocate. It was always a pain getting heavy items in the pickup, such as tractors or my unisaw when I needed to take it for service.

Buy a trailer and you will never look back.