PDA

View Full Version : Drumsander gloat

sascha gast
05-03-2007, 4:13 AM
Monday I decided to browse around for a new and wider drumsander. I like using a drumsander very much, especially on veneers I cut on my bandsaw, so I went to eagle tools and looked at the General 24" double drumsander and was hooked.

guess what got delivered to my shop this morning...........

http://i.pbase.com/o6/55/652955/1/78109260.qV9OL3vK._LAX5010copy.jpg

so far, so good

http://i.pbase.com/o6/55/652955/1/78109261.cNyj7ZHI._LAX5011copy.jpg

So I just sold my previous 16-32 to one of my woodworking friends to make room for this monster, but I gotta say, space is at a BIG premium right now. Man what would I give for a 3car garage:D

more shop pics here
http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/woodshop_update

ok, gotta go back in my shop, trying to figure out how I could make more room

Roger Savatteri
05-03-2007, 4:48 AM
sascha, good morning

I bought the same dual drum from Jesse about a month ago. I'm extremely happy with it.
.......Make sure you check the set screws that hold the orange pulley's to the drums are tight. When I went to change the sandpaper I noticed that the forward pulley was misaligned to the back pulley. I checked and noticed that the set screw had wiggled itself loose, and so the pulley...... and caught it just in time. Our green giants probably came from the same shipment, so.........
(ps. I already mentioned it to Jesse.)

nice photos, all the best, your neighbor.

sascha gast
05-03-2007, 5:39 AM
I actually had mine adjusted from the guys at eagle tools, they took it off the crate and put it on the mobile base, checked everything and just pushed it into my garage.
I'll check though, you can never be sure enough. so far so good, a very nice machine

Tom Cowie
05-03-2007, 6:15 AM
Hi Sascha,

Great gloat, I have the PM version and love it. I know what you mean about space. I have a 12X16 shop and it's jammed full . everything on wheels :) :)

Tom

Tyler Howell
05-03-2007, 8:36 AM
Just goes to show you. The size of the shop doesn't make the craftsman.
Congrats Sascha,
May you get a shop as big as you need to create the fine work you do:cool:

Mark Singer
05-03-2007, 8:37 AM
I have had that one for a while and its great except for installing the paper. I am jusy converting it to hook and loop and i will let you know how that comes out...

Jim Becker
05-03-2007, 9:24 AM
Congrats, Sascha! Great machine. I've seen Marks and was quite impressed.

And yes, it does appear that "mobility" isn't an option for you.

Don Bullock
05-03-2007, 9:40 AM
I actually had mine adjusted from the guys at eagle tools, they took it off the crate and put it on the mobile base, checked everything and just pushed it into my garage.
I'll check though, you can never be sure enough. so far so good, a very nice machine

Sascha, congratulations on your new drumsander. That's a super machine. After you've used it for a while, let us know how well you like it and what you've sanded with it. I understand what you mean about stuffing tools into a two car garage. That seems to be common in Southern California. I have to share mine with two cars, so a machine like yours is one I can only dream about for now like you dream about a three car garage.

The service you mentioned that you got from Eagle Tools really sets them apart from the competition. Ricky and Jessy were fantastic. I was amazed at the service and attention I received as compared to other places I've been. Anyone in the Los Angelas area should check them out if they are thinking of buying woodworking machines. --- No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Bob Reeve
05-03-2007, 9:50 AM
Sascha,

I am looking forward to seeing your new machine when I pick up your old one. (Stealth Gloat). I understand your space issues as I share my shop (2 car garage) with my wifes convertible and my motorcycle. Everything on wheels is my motto. Now if I can just find room for a real workbench.

Bob

sascha gast
05-03-2007, 11:52 AM
yeah Bob, I am looking forward to meeting you. just make sure you don't wear any loose clothing otherwise it will be hard to maneuver around in my shop.
I usually wear a full- body- spandex -special-woodworking-catsuit:D:D:D

but oh well, you gotta do what it takes

Dennis Peacock
05-03-2007, 1:32 PM
Congrats Sasha....I have a 16/32 that I need to sell and I desperately need to upgrade my drum sanding option. :D

Al Killian
05-03-2007, 2:21 PM
Great gloat. I am looking at getting one, hopefully at the end of the summer. Where did you order it from?

Bruce Page
05-03-2007, 2:32 PM
Sascha, congrats on a sweet machine! I'd like to upgrade from my 18/36 one of these days.
What kind of DC are you running with it? Do you need a big DC to keep up with it?

sascha gast
05-04-2007, 2:58 AM
thanx guys, right now I am using a medium sizes Jet unit, but I have one more big tweaking of my shop to do and i'll try to fit a cyclone. I really want one of those, maybe even outside the shop, we'll see

Mitchell Andrus
05-04-2007, 8:08 AM
I usually wear a full- body- spandex -special-woodworking-catsuit

The mental imagery..... My brain, my brain!!!!!

Karl Laustrup
05-04-2007, 8:46 AM
Great gloat Sasha. I like the idea of dual drums.

It appears you live in a sub division with homes tightly packed. How do your neighbors feel about the noise of your WW'ing? :confused: Or have you issued them all ear protection? ;) :D

Karl

sascha gast
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Never had a complaint, it's awesome here, but the houses are not that tight, maybe that's it