PDA

View Full Version : Epilog X motor

Nigel Morgan
05-03-2007, 2:07 AM
Hello,

Just got my new X motor and bracket/support. It seems the bracket I have all ready on the laser has got the lower bearing support, not too sure wether to change it or not. I know some of you have replaced the motor and bracket/support, is this a simple procedure, will it effect the alignment of the beam, from what I can see the gantry is attached to this.

Cheers

Nigel

Joe Pelonio
05-03-2007, 8:17 AM
My first x motor issue was caused by a bent shaft, the upper bearing would keep the shaft straight so should help. Unfortunately the next motor died too but that would seem to be an internal (electronic) issue as it still spun freely but started to smoke. I'd use the parts as sent from Epilog.

Rob Bosworth
05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Nigel, I would replace both the X axis motor and the bearing support bracket. Something caused the old motor to go. It might have been that the old bearing support for the end of the X axis motor shaft was wrong, or mounted wrong. You will be all the way into the refit, and getting the bearing support bracket to fit perfectly might take a few minutes, but it might save you having to do it again in the near future. Just remember, you do not need to force pieces together. It almost seems like you do, but suddenly the pieces go together and mount easily. When you get it all back together, turn it on, and you will just think SWEET!

Good luck.

Bill Cunningham
05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
It would be nice if they shipped that oddball ball end hex key with the kit.. those things are impossible to find in that size.. I just worked that one screw out and back with needle nose pliers...

Chris Costello
05-03-2007, 11:18 PM
is a pair of vice grips and a hammer! (and maybe some duct tape)

Rob Bosworth
05-04-2007, 9:27 AM
I am always amazed when I go into a shop and see that they do not have Bondhus Ball Drivers (round headed allen wrenches). These guys are always trying to fit a straight allen wrench around thirteen obstructions. I will pull my ball drivers out, and they are amazed that I can get most bolts out. They are a little more expensive, but a very necessary for working on these laser engraving systems. They come in inch and metric models. I have several sets of both.

Bill Cunningham
05-06-2007, 8:27 PM
Yup. their handy if you have em! The smallest one I could find without spending half a day running all over town looking, was 3/8"