PDA

View Full Version : Shipping an old drill press

Hans Loeblich
05-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a drill press for the cost of shipping, from Visalia, CA to Austin, TX. It is an old machine, but in good shape as far as I know.

This is just about all I know about it:
Delta Rockwell Drill Press
Made in Milwaukee
part no. DP-220
Very rough dimemsion approximation: 18"x14"x36"

I found this page which tells what year it could have been made in, but I don't have the exact serial number at the moment.
http://www.owwm.com/Delta/VintageProject/Part1.asp
Based on the mfg location alone, it seems it was made between 1941 and 1952.

So my two main questions are:
1) What method/carrier to use and how much might it cost for shipping?
2) What do you think this machine is worth?

Roy Wall
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Hans,

I take it is a bench top model?? I think the head looks like an alien:) ...

Its probably worth a $100-150 I suppose.

Anyway, I imagine is weighs 150- 200 lbs and it would have to be REALLY packed and crated well or else I'm afraid you'd have a broken DP arriving at your doorstep.
I'd almost consider shipping the head & motor separate from the table/base/column.

I think DHL may be resonable.... my guess is about $130 shipping.

Hans Loeblich
05-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Hmm, sounds like my fears are true, that it's probably not worth the shipping costs. It was my grandfather's though, so I might go ahead with it.
I think he also added some special drive electronics for variable speed motor or something, but I can't remember if that was on his other press. I wish I had a pic right now.
My step-grandmother is the one in Visalia that would be helping me arrange this is I decide to go ahead with it. It is difficult to get a whole lot of info out of her though.

Roy Wall
05-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Hmm, sounds like my fears are true, that it's probably not worth the shipping costs. It was my grandfather's though, so I might go ahead with it.
I think he also added some special drive electronics for variable speed motor or something, but I can't remember if that was on his other press. I wish I had a pic right now.

It could be a 3ph motor and he attached a VFD to it. THis allows 1ph power (what we normally have in 220v) to switch to 3ph for the motor - in addition....you can vary the speed of the motor - VERY COOL deal! a VFD is worth $150 in itself. A variable speed DP is a nice machine.

Have him check on some prices...maybe it doesnt' weight that much...I'm just guessing big time. Check on separate parts shipped too..

How far apart are you guys...maybe meet half way?

Good luck!

Hans Loeblich
05-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Well my grandfather is no longer with us, which makes it difficult to meet halfway. Only my step-grandmother Mae(not sure if that the right term, grandpa remarried after my real grandma died) is the only one there and she cannot drive that far. California to Texas is a looong way.
I'm not sure I could haul it in my little Mazda Protege anyways.
Mae got a quote from one place(not sure who it was), and they said something outrageous like ~400. I don't think they ever even saw the piece though.

Rob Russell
05-03-2007, 7:46 AM
It would help if you break the drill down into pieces - head, column, table and base.

Richard Butler
05-03-2007, 7:47 AM
Well my grandfather is no longer with us, which makes it difficult to meet halfway. Only my step-grandmother Mae(not sure if that the right term, grandpa remarried after my real grandma died) is the only one there and she cannot drive that far. California to Texas is a looong way.
I'm not sure I could haul it in my little Mazda Protege anyways.
Mae got a quote from one place(not sure who it was), and they said something outrageous like ~400. I don't think they ever even saw the piece though.

YOu could haul it in a small car if you take it apart. The most difficult part to transport would then be the column.

If you do get the press, don't mess with the spindle bearings unless you absolutely have to. OEM replacement bearings run about $125.00 each the last time I checked. Cheap subs exist that make the DP usable but you lose the quick change feature for the spindle.

glenn bradley
05-03-2007, 8:57 AM
Disassembly will be a must to assure safe arrival. Proper packing will also be a must. It sounds like the young lady who has the DP may not be up to either task so you would have to find someone to do that.

UPS has an online calculator that will compute shipping cost. I'd say a couple hundred bucks would be reasonable. The fact that it was Grandpa's would make it very cool to have. You could certainly buy a floor model for not much more than it will cost to get this thing in your hands; just keep that in mind.

Scott Loven
05-03-2007, 9:20 AM
Check where you work. We have contracts with national carriers that allow us to ship up to 300 pounds anywhere in the US for $75. I did this with a band saw and had the carrier pick it up at a business with a loading dock and deliver it to where I work. You could also use your companies UPS account and have it picked-up and delivered to your house.
Scott