PDA

View Full Version : Books on Veneering & Inlay

Rick Williams
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Looking for the utlimate tome (s) on veneering and doing inlays with exotics. I love to read and much of my woodworking skill has been self taught. In that light, what books have you found to be interesting reads and invaluable in developing those special skills.

TIA

Rick

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Joe Woodworker recommends Veneering, A Foundation Course by Mike Burton for veneer basics.

Rick Williams
05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Jim, I had went over to Amazon for a few minutes and after reading the reviews there had added it to my wish list. Your reccomendation is good reinforcement!

Corey Hallagan
05-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Check out this Video free to download. Some other great downloads as well from the folks at Woodsmith.

Corey

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/04/20/podcast-19-veneering-step-by-step-from-a-master-craftsman/

Jim Tobias
05-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Rick,
I got interested in some of the same veneer skills you mentioned and found Paul Schurch site (below) extremely helpful. His DVD on Marquetry helped my general veneer skills and also has me wanting to try inlays and marquetry.

http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/index.html

Jim

Rob Millard
05-03-2007, 6:23 AM
Rick,

I became fascinated by inlay work some years ago, and unfortunately there is very little in the way of “how to” material on the subject (at least that I could find). I ended up doing as you have and taught myself how to make them. There is one book titled Step by Step Inlay Banding Production by R.F. Loeffler, which will give you a good start. There was also and article by Phil Lowe, on making a complex banding in the 2005 Journal of The Society of American Period Furniture Makers. There seems to be more information on how to make pictorial inlays, such as flowers, which was the subject of an article by Steve Latta in Fine Woodworking a few years ago. Attached is a shot of a Baltimore sideboard I made, showing some of my inlay work.
Rob Millard

Rick Williams
05-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Rob, that is a really fine piece of work! Thanks for your guidance as well as all others who have posted replys.

Rick Williams
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Corey and Jim, Thanks for the links. A fella on another forum had also posted about the Schurch site between there and here I've got enuff to get me started!! Going to start off small doing some inlay in some jewlery boxes and hopefully expand my horizons from there.:)

jerry cousins
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
here's pic of some marquetry on a jewelry box - 1st time using abalone.
woods are
background - holly, petals - box elder elm, dragon fly body - koa, legs - macassar ebony.

look for craig vandal steven's book - the art of marquetry. there is also a fwwing book on veneering and inlay with several good articles - don't have the name at hand but could get it at home.

jerry

Rick Williams
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Jerry, I can only hope...very nice work!. I saw the Fine Woodworking Book on Amazon. Compilation of articles they have published over time. I haven't taken the time yet to search their site for articles but I'm sure some exist in their dtabase.

Thanks

Jay MacDougall
05-03-2007, 3:23 PM
The best marquetry book I've come across is The Marquetry Course by Jack Metcalfe and John Apps

James Leonard
05-03-2007, 3:47 PM
The Art of Inlay (Larry Robinson) (3 videos also)
Pearl Inlay (James Patterson) (DIY Abalone / Pearl grinding too)
The Guitarmakers Canvas (William 'Grit' Laskin)
Many articles on Inlay at the MIMF forum (website)
Rec.Music.Makers.Builders (Google Groups website)
The Art of Wood Inlay (George Stevens)

There are more, but these are the big dogs in the Musical Instrument Inlay field.

-James Leonard

Larry Fox
05-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Joe Woodworker recommends Veneering, A Foundation Course by Mike Burton for veneer basics.

Rick - you don't state your location but on the off-chance that you are in the Philadelphia metro area, I have this book if you want to borrow it. PM me if interested.

If you are not, you are still welcome to it but round-trip shipping would cost more than a new one at Amazon.

If you REALLY want to "git er done"

http://www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/view/show/1043

jerry cousins
05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
the one i referred to earlier - "fwwing on marquetry & veneer". it's older - published in 1987 but some good articles. another fwwing is "veneering, marquetry and inlay" and "the complete manual of wood veneering" bu william lincoln, linden publishing.
jerry

Mitchell Andrus
05-04-2007, 8:33 AM
I found some good info/supplies at joewoodworker.com

A recent Stickley/Ellis design:

Rick Williams
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Rick - you don't state your location but on the off-chance that you are in the Philadelphia metro area, I have this book if you want to borrow it. PM me if interested.

If you are not, you are still welcome to it but round-trip shipping would cost more than a new one at Amazon.

If you REALLY want to "git er done"

http://www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/view/show/1043

Larry, thanks for your kind offer. I'm in the metro KC area however. I did check our library system and put a copy of this book on hold to pick up next week. What I usually do is get books from the library first to review them. If I like them then I purchase to add to my personal collection.

Thanks again.

Rick