PDA

View Full Version : DC questions

Craig D Peltier
05-02-2007, 9:47 PM
Hi I have a few dust collection questions.Its a delta 1.5hp.
When installing a blast gate, where do they go? At the Y(after it) out of dust collector?
When you reduce, Im going from 4 to a table saw that has a 2.25 inlet (Ridgid), do I need a small 6 inch piece of 2.5 inch tubing to connect the reducer to the ts inlet?
Does anyone know if a 2.5 inch will fit on the Ridgid TS3650? In book it says 2.25? Hoses I see are either 2 or 2.5? I did look at a post on here of a creeker who converted his ridgid to a larger 4 inch port but he mentions it s a 2 inch port? So im confused there. http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/RidgidTS3650/DcPort/TS3650_DcPort_Modification.html

Last question I think:confused:

The main intake port of the DC has a Y 4 inch, say I wanted to run a dc sytem to say 5 machines, would I come off Y an add another Y and split from there with blast gates? If so how far down Y should I go?

Oh yeah do they sell the hose needed at the local borgs in the Hvac dept?

Thanks, I know theres been alot of DC questions on here.There not too complicated but I just want to know the right way.

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
You can put your blast gate(s) where they are most convenient to you; I generally put them close to the machine the drop services, but there is always reality...my gate for both the TS blade shroud and the TS blade guard collection are actually above the tool since I didn't want to have to crawl on my knees to get to them.

Oh, and your DC will perform better if you take that wye off the DC and run a larger diameter main duct...4" is too small for anything outside of direct collection from a single machine with a short hose and even then, it's largely chip collection due to the lower CFM that 4" restricts you to.

Craig D Peltier
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
So go from 5 inch to reducers where needed? I think 5 is the biggest on the delta.
My thought on blast gates was why should you waste suction on a tube thats closed off 10 feet down it at the machine.So just go from the Ys, I understand what you said convenience is key.
Anyone else on other questions?
Thanks Jim
You can put your blast gate(s) where they are most convenient to you; I generally put them close to the machine the drop services, but there is always reality...my gate for both the TS blade shroud and the TS blade guard collection are actually above the tool since I didn't want to have to crawl on my knees to get to them.

Oh, and your DC will perform better if you take that wye off the DC and run a larger diameter main duct...4" is too small for anything outside of direct collection from a single machine with a short hose and even then, it's largely chip collection due to the lower CFM that 4" restricts you to.

Jim Becker
05-03-2007, 9:49 AM
There is no such thing as "wasting suction"...in fact, DC isn't about suction at all...it's about moving large volumes of air at a given speed over a period of time and at low negative pressure. The larger the duct, the more air you move. It's the moving air that brings the chips and dust along for the ride. (This is different than a vacuum cleaner/shop vac which operates at high negative pressure with low volumes of air movement)

If you have a branch with a gate at the end near the tool, that branch has no real impact on the performance of other branches or the main outside of any leakage since no air is flowing through it. The active air path is what you need to optimize for each tool...straight shot a much as possible and larger radius bends where necessary. As little flex hose as necessary is also a best practice.

Craig D Peltier
05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Anyone else able to answer my questions this morning.

Thanks