PDA

View Full Version : GREX pin nailer?

Bruce Page
05-02-2007, 9:08 PM
I’m thinking about getting the GREX model P635 23g pin nailer. Anyone have any experience with it, or with GREX in general?

The P635 had a pretty good write-up in one of the recent rags.

Philip Glover
05-02-2007, 9:20 PM
Bruce,

I have had the Grex 23ga pinner for just over a year now. I will say that it is as good as it gets. Should you buy one, you will be very happy with it.

Regards,
Phil Glover

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
It's reported to be a good gun. You might want to check the article in a recent issue of Fine Homebuilding on pinners. They looked at a number of them including the Grex.

Bob Reeve
05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
I just purchased a 22 guage stapler and the little I have fired it up to test it was very sweet.

Bob

Dan Clark
05-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I've been looking at the bigger Grex - 645L. Or maybe the bigger Cadex. Both usually win in the reviews that I've read.

The L model of the 645 is new and indicates that it includes dry-fire protection. The Cadex has only one advantage over the Grex that I can see - it can shoot headed and headless 23g pins.

One major advantage of the Grex over the Cadex is MUCH wider distribution. The Grex is available in many places. The Cadex is only available in maybe 3-4. And, all the places that I contacted gave me the same message, "Don't like the Cadex after you got it. Tough! It's yours." They were nice about it, but still... I don't like buying a pig in a poke.

Also, the Grex is slightly less expensive than the Cadex - maybe $50 for the big one and $20 for the middle size one.

Regards,

Dan.

Gary Keedwell
05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm also in the market for a pin nailer and the Grex 635 is on the top of my list. I will probably get the 635 because it has a max pin of 1 3/8" which I think is more then enough length.
I would be hesitant to get the 645, because of price and also don't think I need the extra 3/8 ths of an inch length. The reports say the extra length on the thin 23 gage has a tendency to deflect and not go in straight. (645 has a 1 3/4 " max length.) IMNSHO
Gary K.;)

Dan Clark
05-03-2007, 2:01 AM
Gary,

Hi, I agree with all of your points. But...

Originally, I wanted the middle sized Grex or Cadex. Then I had some time to play around with both sizes of Grex. That's when I changed my mind.

I have medium sized hands, but short fingers. For whatever reason, I have trouble using the 635. My trigger finger keeps catching the trigger. The 645 has more room between the trigger and the pin slide. It felt more comfortable in my hand.

Word to the wise - don't buy until you had a chance to play with gun. Each one has a different feel.

Regards,

Dan.

Gary Keedwell
05-03-2007, 7:28 AM
Gary,

Hi, I agree with all of your points. But...

Originally, I wanted the middle sized Grex or Cadex. Then I had some time to play around with both sizes of Grex. That's when I changed my mind.

I have medium sized hands, but short fingers. For whatever reason, I have trouble using the 635. My trigger finger keeps catching the trigger. The 645 has more room between the trigger and the pin slide. It felt more comfortable in my hand.

Word to the wise - don't buy until you had a chance to play with gun. Each one has a different feel.

Regards,

Dan.
Dan,
Thanks for the "heads up". I think I will try to find a place that stocks them so I can handle them.
Gary K.;)

Ted Miller
05-03-2007, 9:48 AM
Bruce, I have the 635 and it is a nice gun, small for your hand but the headless pins are nice when you have no other way to fasten a piece of face or what have you. The pins are just about not seen, the only thing I found is that some voids in some stock will angle the longer pins in the wrong direction. Funny thing I got free pins with my order and I thought, wow 10,000 pins another large box, well the box of 10K was 2 1/2"x 3"...