PDA

View Full Version : Where can someone compete with their work?

Bill Wyko
05-02-2007, 9:02 PM
I see here that there are opportunities to compete with our turnings. My question is where in Tucson AZ or nearby communities can I compete with my work? I'm a compettitive person by nature but what I really like about it the most is the new friends you typically meet and seeing other peoples styles and their works of art in general. I'd really like to see how my work stands up in a crowd of talented people.:o

Neal Addy
05-02-2007, 9:21 PM
Seems to me that Tuscon and Phoenix are in the heart of "Big League Turner" country from what I've seen. There's probably more good turners there per capita than most other parts of the country. I would think that your local club would be able to direct you to all the Whoop-T-Do's you could want.

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Get in touch with Phil Brennion up in Chino Valley. He will likely know where you can look for juried shows and the like in your area. Phil is a past president of the AAW, an incredible turner and great teacher, too.

Brodie Brickey
05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
State & County Fairs also have competitions for Furniture & turning. The San Diego County Fair is the big one in our area. You often see the winners pictured in Fine WoodWorking magazine.

Frank Kobilsek
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Bill
After every issue of the Journal the AAW website has a contest for some project in the magazine. Several succesful competitors wade the Creek daily.
Frank

Bill Wyko
05-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks Guys. I'll check with the people mentioned. The fair just left town last week so I'll have time to prepair for next year. I'd be willing to travel to Phoenix if I had to, it's only about 100 miles away.:)