PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Box Construction?

Art Davis
05-02-2007, 8:10 PM
I want to design and construct a cabinet for a small "ministereo" system using torsion box techniques. I have just finished reading an article by Ian Kirby in the current issue of Woodworker's Journal and I find it sorta' exciting. But he only tells me how to build a shelf. My question is how do I integrate this basic structural component with the rest of the unit; in other words, what kind of joinery can I use?

Thanks for any info.

Art

Howard Rosenberg
05-02-2007, 8:51 PM
- where are you planning on using the torsion box
- will it be the cabinet's top
- shelves
- what are you using for the upper and lower skins

We should be able to help/answer questions/offer opinions once we get more info.

HTH
Howard

Art Davis
05-02-2007, 9:07 PM
Well----

I had no fixed ideas at this stage, just wanted to learn about how to use this interesting idea in cabinetry. I assume that I would be using the torsion boxes for the shelves, maybe the tops, and even the sides, with the backs being thin ply.

What do you suggest?

Art

Chris Friesen
05-03-2007, 12:47 PM
For a given load, a torsion box is generally lighter but bulkier than a solid shelf. The extra thickness is what gives it its strength.

As for joinery, if you use solid wood sides for your cabinet you could simply dado the torsion boxes into the sides.

That said...for most ministereo systems its hardly worth it as they aren't all that heavy.

Roland Chung
05-03-2007, 1:52 PM
I'd like to use this technique for some assembly table and workbench ideas, but I agree with Chris - too much trouble for a mini stereo. If you are trying to make a cabinet with large spans or a cantilevered projection, then it might be worth using.

A hollowcore door is a perfect example of a torsion box. Is there any way that you could incorporate the use of HC doors into your design? You could really dress them up if you wanted to. If you cut them down, just be sure to put wood back into the edges to maintain the strength.