PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor belly up!

Brad Hammond
05-02-2007, 5:24 PM
well, it had to happen. i've been using an old sears two-stage horizontal tank air compressor for years now, but today i found a hole in the tank.
i've yet to start the search for another tank or see what my options are as far as if there's a fix, but my first stop is always here for tool advice.
i've searched and found that most folks enjoy their IR's, but those are probably a little industrial for my usage.
what's everybody else got? and one last thing. i'd like to run a 220v compressor. i've got a cut off switch in the shop to the air compressor in the garage and i'd rather not have to do any re-wiring.
thanx all!
brad

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2007, 5:32 PM
Brad...Most of the air compressors of any size are operable at either 110 or 220 so that shouldn't be a problem.

When the one I have goes gunny.....it's IR for me.

Ken Garlock
05-02-2007, 7:44 PM
Hi Brad. Take a look at what Northern Tool has in the IR line. I bought my 5hp 60 gal IR from them, and the shipping was free. It was shipped from the factory in Tennessee as I recall. I think you will find that any compressor over 2 hp will be a 240V only unit.

If you feel confident about the actual compressor and motor, shop around for a replacement tank. Never try to repair one.

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2007, 8:06 PM
Brad,

The IR isn't really industrial until you get above what most of us could afford for a compressor. What you are really getting IMHO, is longevity and reliability. I've been through 3 compressors.....The IR is the best one I've had so far and it's held up to everything I've thrown at it to date. :D
Got mine from TSC for $479.....5HP, 60 GAL.

Jim Thiel
05-02-2007, 8:18 PM
i've been using an old sears two-stage horizontal tank air compressor for years now

Are you looking to replace the whole unit, or just get a new tank? Old iron compressors, esp. a 2 stage, should be worth a new tank. My compressor came through my dad, must be pushing 40 years or more, and I just replaced the rings 2 years ago. Also replaced the bearings while I had her open, but didn't need to.

A new 2 stage will set you back a fair amount. A new or just different tank can be had much cheaper.

Jim

btw, if you are set on replacing, and she is truly a two stage unit, I'll drive down and take that boat anchor off you hands, for a modest fee of course.:)

Merle Clor
05-02-2007, 8:29 PM
Too bad you aren't in the NY Finger Lakes area. The Seneca Falls NAPA has a 7hp 60 gal compressor for about $565. He is stuck with it and is willing to sell it at his cost. I would have bought it if I weren't moving.
Merle

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 8:54 PM
IR 3hp 60 gallon from Tractor Supply is in my shop. Excellent machine for the money, especially when you catch a sale. Be sure to compare pricing with Northern Tool as they often have it with free shipping and that's about the same price as TS...with no tax for most folks.