PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Epilog

Brian Robison
05-02-2007, 3:48 PM
I just wanted to thank Brian at Epilog for helping me out yesterday evening.
It's all about the service!
Problem ended up being my laptop not the laser.
I'm not a big fan of Dell computers.:(

art baylor
05-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I agree. I think, Dell has gotten too cheap, and lost their reliability.
art

Ed Lang
05-03-2007, 9:57 AM
I am getting ready to replace one of the computer here at the shop. It was going to be a Dell.

So if you don't like Dell, who would you suggest I look at?

Thanks

Brian Robison
05-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I've had 2 Gateway's here at work and I like them.
Sony and Panasonic are worth looking into also IMHO.

Mike Null
05-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I've had 3 Gateways and a Sony--all were excellent. I also had some early laptops which were really slow but that was the technology at the time.

Just bought an Acer laptop with Vista--worst purchase I've ever made. I think it's Vista rather than Acer.

Rob Bosworth
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Ed, we bought our first MACbook Core 2 duo laptop a few weeks ago. Since we were all raised from the technical side, we have had PC's since 1982. (Our first one was a DOS based machine: Kaypro because it was portable. My back still aches from lifting it.) Anyway, young Rob looked at what was available and decided on a Mac notebook. He set it up so we can run it either as a Windows platform machine or as a Mac. So far, I have been very impressed. It seems to be very nicely put together, and has run very well. And is it easy to operate, at least in the Apple configuration.

Wow, this sounds really strange coming off my fingertips. I have spent almost 25 years bashing Apples. Now I am writing about how great they are. Next thing you know, I'll be a liberal.:rolleyes:

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
We have a new Dell with XP, not Vista and it's given us no issues in running our laser.

We asked a lot about laser companies supporting Apples and everyone said they don't support them, but you could use them in a dual mode, like Rob mentioned.

We really wanted a Mac, but just didn't get warm fuzzy feelings when talking to laser manufactures about support.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't make a print driver for Mac's. Maybe someone will wake up soon and make one. If I want to run a Mac, I want to run a Mac, not run a Mac, but when I want to use my laser, switch to Microsoft and use it. If I have to swith to MS, then it took my reason for buying a Mac away, which was not supporting MS products.

Come on laser guys, write some Mac print drivers!

Joe Pelonio
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I have an old Dell 4100 that I still use, never had a problem. I have a newer 4600 that had the power supply go out after two years but otherwise no problems. My daughter bought a Dell laptop and had nothing but trouble.
My daughter has had problems with her Dell desktop, as has my son with his Dell laptop. My wife has an HP laptop that runs hot, and shuts itself off, we have to keep it "up on blocks" so that air can get under it. I have yet to hear of any brand that's 100% trouble free, but clearly the Dell products have gone downhill, especially the laptops.The worst thing with Dell is the support, people in India that you can barely understand. Next time I need one I'm
going to have to do a lot of research.

Bruce Volden
05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I guess you could call me a "commie". I have never owned a "name brand" computer! I support the small / locals around here. They build what I need or want. I have yet to ever bring one back for servicing or other issues. I have a total of 9, (just can't seem to throw away the old ones.) The 1st was a custom built DX 4 100 with 2 meg RAM :D :D It was running Win 3.1.1:eek:

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
05-03-2007, 12:59 PM
. I have a total of 9, (just can't seem to throw away the old ones.)

Bruce
I have a closet here with 2 windows 98 pcs and one xp, plus 5 CRT monitors, and lots of keyboards and mice. They become obsolete so fast these days, but like you I hate to throw out something that still works that I paid a thousand+ for.

Bruce Volden
05-03-2007, 1:05 PM
I have a closet here with 2 windows 98 pcs and one xp, plus 5 CRT monitors, and lots of keyboards and mice. They become obsolete so fast these days, but like you I hate to throw out something that still works that I paid a thousand+ for.

We're sorta sick huh Joe. Although I have given several away in the past 15 yrs. I still am "stuck" with 9. Even the people in need of a perfectly good working system know that WIN 98 is probably not the way to go today :confused:

Bruce

Kim Vellore
05-03-2007, 1:15 PM
I think it is more of the junk that is loaded in the computer that makes it bad. I have ~6 Dells and one of them is over 10 years old and running 24/7 and in the 10 years all it had was a power supply failure, it is still running good. The day I get them I erase the hard disk and install the OS myself + all the drivers, no more AOL or online support, toolbars or other programs that manufacturers install as paid advertisement all of them slowdown the system and make it unreliable. If you are not comfortable doing that you might want to get it from a local place who can do it for you. Also 5 years back I won a Pentium CPU and I built a system from the cheapest parts I could find, it is still running great so that makes me believe even the cheap hardware is very reliable and software is the one that kills it. Also once in every 5 years either change the computer or reinstall the OS if it a PC. Kim

Rob Bosworth
05-03-2007, 3:04 PM
It has always amazed me that 99% of the graphics industry is Apple based and 95% of the graphic reproduction/ manufacturing machines are run on Windows based platforms. I guess Engineers are hard to accept change.

Jeanette: A Cowboys Fan ? - YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pete Simmons
05-03-2007, 4:11 PM
Check this out

http://www.homecomputer.de/pages/f_misc.html

Look under Digital Group

If I remember it had 10K of memory

My kids were playing lunar lander in 1977.

It still worked when I sent it to this computer museum in Germany around 2001.

I made most of the circuit bds, hand drilled and soldered every connection. I had the circuit bds on a table for years then my wife finally bought me the nice case to put it all in.

One nice feature was if needed you could use the power supply for small welding jobs around the house. I think the 5 volt part was 15 amps!

Mike Mackenzie
05-03-2007, 5:03 PM
Oh My God :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am serioulsy a pac rat when it comes to computers. I have set up and working in my office.

3 Dos based computer all of which have different drive configurations.
1 Win 3.1 computer
1 Win 95 computer
2 Win 98 computer
6 XP computers
1 Vista computer (this will be the first to go)
1 Win Nt server
1 IMac24
2 XP laptops

And this does not include the computers at home or the CCS systems in storage.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really should get rid of some of these but they all serve a purpose and all still work

Barbara Buhse
05-03-2007, 5:15 PM
I've had 3 Gateways and a Sony--all were excellent. I also had some early laptops which were really slow but that was the technology at the time.

Just bought an Acer laptop with Vista--worst purchase I've ever made. I think it's Vista rather than Acer.

we just got an Acer laptop, but without Vista... we opted to have XP, and its great so far.

Dave Jones
05-03-2007, 5:38 PM
I guess Engineers are hard to accept change.

Graphic artists are too. For a number of years PCs have had all the same programs for graphic design that the Mac has, and they work exactly the same on a PC as a Mac. But Apple has somehow maintained the illusion that it is better for graphics than a PC. It's a holdover from the days when Apple gave huge discounts to schools and students. People that were trained on one type of computer tend to stick to that kind.

On the other hand, the majority of the CAD software I use is not available for the Mac, so I stick to PCs (though I do have one Mac).

Steven Smith
05-03-2007, 6:20 PM
I am getting ready to replace one of the computer here at the shop. It was going to be a Dell.

I ran several Dell servers out of my home. One (main web server) ran for nine years 24/7, no problems(NT4). I had another one that ran for about four years(2000) same deal.

I have two going now that run 24/7, one is four years old and the other two years. These were machines I bought off Dell outlet. Machines that were returned for one reason or another but were really cheap. If one is concerned about lost data, I recommend a usb backup drive. They're cheap and good way to store customer data, designs.

Bruce Volden
05-03-2007, 7:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Mackenzie;579429]Oh My God
1 Vista computer (this will be the first to go)

C'mon Mike!! Tell us how you REALLY feel :eek: :D

Bruce

Chuck Burke
05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Mike you rat! ( insert laugh here) Pack Rat that is. I thought *I* was bad with 5 computers. Three Dell one hp one compaq.

Back to Ed's question though, I would still recommend Dell. I have had 5 ( three currently) and two in a previous life.

I have only had ONE problem and that was on my insprion 1150 notebook, on which I am typing this. The fan went out so it would overheat and shutdown. I called Dell and THE next day, the tech was here with the fan had it in and I was up and running within an hour....and I"m in the middle of the pacific.....

I know some folks have had problems with Dell but they are still the best VALUE in my book. Just don't buy the cheap ones.

Just my two cents. Want change?

Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards
Maui Hawaii.

Brian Robison
05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Well, I bought an Inspiron 5100 laptop. Pentium 4. 512 ram. DVD drive (burner) to run the laser. Most of the time if you shut it off then start it back the screen comes up upside down, or side ways or with huge icons. Almost never starts up the right way the first time. It's got a bad line running up and down on the screen. The DVD player dosen't play movies very well and the sound is horrible. The battery lasts all of 6 minutes from full charge and the last time I unplugged it for a few minutes (to use upstairs) and I plugged it in up there, then went back downstairs to plug it back in along with the laser, it wouldn't send the jobs over to the laser. I'm just lucky I guess.

Rob Bosworth
05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Sounds like you need a youngster to keep it running. Luckily, we have the young lad, OK, so he is 25, but still is considered to be our young lad. Whenever the Queen or I have a problem with any of our computers, we just whine about it. IT doesn't take too long before he is saying, out out, leave it alone and I'll fix it. So we wander away for a few minutes and it is all back up and running.:D