PDA

View Full Version : Surfing on the Train

Jack Hogoboom
05-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Sitting on the train on my way to DC to meet with a high-powered Washington lobbyist (one of the few not currently in jail :eek: ) and a client. I've got my laptop plugged into the power outlet next to me and my Verizon blackberry tied into the laptop with a USB cable to provide a connection. I'm surfing SMC while listening to Sirius on line (sorry, but I'm a hard-core Howard Stern fan :rolleyes: ). Connection has been strong and uninterrupted so far.

If I feel adventurous, I may try a game or two....

Except for the fact that I'm supposed to be working :o , I'm having a blast.:D At least the trip will go fast....

Highly recommended....

Jack

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Yea, the data capability is more reliable than the voice capability along the AMTRAK corridor...and I'm looking forward to being able to do the same with my new Nokia E62. I can actually view the site on the device, but my eyes don't prefer it. So using the mobile device as a connection to the net from the PC is a great way to accomplish the goal!

Tyler Howell
05-02-2007, 11:09 AM
wow!!
I can't even get voice to some of my employees across town:o
Very cool

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2007, 11:26 AM
wow!!
I can't even get voice to some of my employees across town:o
Very cool

I hope your wireless contract isn't too long.........how many days Tyler?

Jack Hogoboom
05-02-2007, 4:23 PM
Turned around and am headed back from Gemorrah to Sodom.

Classic paragon of a Washington lobbyist. Big corner office with built in bar, big fish tank and china cups. Medals, protraits and trinkets all over the place. Guy smelled of alcohol and was smoking a big disgusting cigar, as was my client. I nearly got sick from the fumes.

On the plus side, the guy was actually pretty smart and helpful and wasn't arrogant, which was a surprise. The whole thing was probably a fool's errand, though.

Only lost my connection twice on the way down and got it back right away both times. I even was able to get into my VPN, so I responded to a few e-mails.

Time to kick back, have a drink and let the miles unwind....

Jack

john mclane
05-02-2007, 8:02 PM
I like the train a lot. I take it down to Washington to the FDA or NIH from Providence RI most of the winter and summer to avoid the issues of unpredicted snow or thunderstorms that delay all the flights from Boston or Providence. Get a lot of work done ( a few naps and maybe a book also). A lot more energy conservative (both mental and the organic stuff) then planes

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 9:11 PM
I do the train to the DC area when I can. Professor Dr SWMBO takes it when she has to get to NIH like John for meetings or grant reviews.