PDA

View Full Version : "New" Emmert Vise

Tom Henry
05-01-2007, 9:48 PM
Is this a true "new" Emmert vise?

check out ebay Item number: 260113833303

David Carroll
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
I have one of the Taiwanese copies and it is a decent vise. That one looks like the real McCoy. It'll be interesting to see what it'll go for.

David C

Rick Lizek
05-02-2007, 7:35 AM
Yes it's a real Emmert. It's also the K1 which is the full sized Emmert with the 18" wide jaws. The clones are of the smaller Emmert K2 with the 14" jaws. http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/models_and_types.htm

Tom Henry
05-02-2007, 9:26 AM
How rare is it to find one of these vises not even used...:eek:

Rick Lizek
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Pretty rare although I did find one that was never put into service. It did have a small crack in the casting I had to have welded. You see plenty of Emmerts on Ebay. Funny thing is after 9/11 the prices dropped considerably but have risen back up. There's a guy in PA who sells used Emmerts and can get parts. In the old days folks used advrtise them in FWW. Yost and Oliver made better pattern makers vises. Much more robust than the Emmert.

Steve Cohen
05-03-2007, 8:10 AM
Yost and Oliver made better pattern makers vises. Much more robust than the Emmert.

In your opinion.

Brian Dormer
05-03-2007, 8:19 AM
Rick -

Who's "the guy in PA" that sells Emmert? (contact info? - web site?) I work not far from Waynesboro (the original home of Emmert). I presume he's nearby.

Rick Lizek
05-03-2007, 8:26 AM
Actually others opinion. Have seen pictures of the Yost and Oliver and they certainly aren't any less of a vise. Many Emmerts have been over tightened and have sprung jaws. Have seen that and it is not that the vise is bad...overzealous operators.

Steve Cohen
05-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Bill Kerfoot is the fellow you're looking for, and he's down in Oxford, PA IIRC.

Alan Turner
05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Bill Kerfoot is the fellow. It is C&S Machinery, of Oxford, Pa.

I had a couple of the Yosts, all broken, and have had a whole bunch of Emmerts over the years. Still have 2 ( No. 1 and a No. 2, both mounted and in use at PFW). From what I saw, the Yost was not quite the vise that the Emmert is.

The story I heard was that Yost was the foreman, or some such person, at the Emmert shop, and when the patent ran out, he went into business with a similar vise. They were a bit narrower (16" as I recall), and poss. 1 inch taller.

Bill Kerfoot also has some Yosts. And, for those who want to spend a bit more, he has a "new" Oliver patternmaker vise which he copied and sells that is incredibly stout, etc. Makes the Emmert look whimpy, from what I hear, but I think they are a bit over $2500.

Tom Henry
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I emailed Bill and he sent me a list of what he currently has in stock.

Bill Kerfoot C
S Machinery
210 Lower Hopewell rd.
Oxford Pa. 19363
csmachinery@zoominternet.net
(610)998-0544

Charles McKinley
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
What about the Tucker Vise by Veritas 05G09.01 ?

It looks like a good vise and made in Canada. It is $599.00.

Does anyone have it?

Dave Anderson NH
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Charles,

I don't have a Tucker, but a friend of mine down the road does and I've used it a few times. It is an outstanding quality tool and works very well. My only objection to it is the price which is pretty steep. The price is less onerous if you consider that most of the time Emmerts are running in the $450 to $800 range depending on model, size, and condition.

Charles McKinley
05-07-2007, 9:57 PM
Thanks Dave,

I'm not in the market at the moment but thought this looked good compared to shelling out big $$$ for something on ebay that may need a lot of work. The vise Alan mentions at $2500 makes $600 seem reasonable.

I imagine Rob pays his workers a little more than the supplier of the Tiawan clone makers. ;)

Brian Dormer
05-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I just bought the Taiwaneese Emmert knock-off they sell at WoodCraft (I think Highland Hardware sells the same vise). It's the big - it's heavy and it twists, turns, swivels and morphs just like a real Emmert. (I'm told that it's an exact copy of the smaller Emmert type K2) The finish is .... well, a tad rough in spots. You can see where some of the rough spots (around the dog holes) in the casting were smoothed out (by hand?) I can't really tell if it has paint on it or it's just the color of the metal. The catalog photos show a light gray color - mine is a lot darker. The working faces of the jaws are machined nice and flat (so says my straightedge) and so far as I can tell (without it being mounted yet) everything works smoothly.

For 200 bucks (.vs. 600 for a "bargain" Emmert) - it's a good deal. It may not be quite as "pretty" as a real Emmert - but all the functionality you'd expect appears to be there.

Will post more (with pix) once I get this puppy bolted to something solid and can really use it.

Luciano Burtini
05-08-2007, 4:02 PM
HOLY CR*P

Did anyone see what this one went for?

$2700.01 !!!

:eek: You gotta be kidding me....

Tom Henry
05-08-2007, 4:10 PM
The Buy It Now was $1300...WOW:eek:

Luciano Burtini
05-08-2007, 4:41 PM
The Buy It Now was $1300...WOW:eek:
Ouch!

I didn't know it even had a BIN. I think that maybe "auction fever" took over on this one.

David Carroll
05-09-2007, 10:45 PM
I think that "New" (NIB) Emmert went for about $2500.00 :eek:

You could put a Tucker on all four sides of your bench for that money...

Amazing, huh?

David C.

John Schreiber
05-10-2007, 9:59 AM
$2,700.01.

Personally I think it's too bad that a fine tool like that will sit on a shelf and either be admired from a distance or just allowed to increase in value when it was made to be used.

But different strokes for different folks. Whatever.