PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Input

Tyler Lung
05-01-2007, 8:51 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a shaper and am considering the Grizzly G1026. Are there any other brands that I should be considering for the same money? If anyone owns one of these, how do you like it?

Thanks

J.R. Rutter
05-02-2007, 12:27 AM
You might look for a used Delta or Powermatic as an alternative. It is a fairly simple matter to remove the spindle and take it to a machine shop for new bearings. Then you've got a US made machine for the same money. I don't have the Grizzly, but I have taken a hard look at this and their other shapers in the local showroom. They are close to the quality of the old US made machines, but not quite there. If you want new, then Grizzly is hard to match for price.

Tom Jones III
05-02-2007, 7:32 AM
I don't know what the price of the grizzly is, but I would take a look at the steel city shaper. It is 3 HP, a great fence, large table and in the $1000 price range.

Rich Bay
05-02-2007, 8:16 AM
I purchased a Steel City shaper about the first of the year and I am quite happy with it.

I was real close to buying the Grizzly but - based on the Steel City Fall Special and rebate - the price was very close. I also think the quality of the Steel City fence is a bit better.

That said, the Grizzly will probably do a fine job for you as well.

Good Luck!!

Tyler Lung
05-02-2007, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Joe Chritz
05-02-2007, 7:12 PM
I have the grizzly and it is a good machine.

There is a tad vibration, I suspect from the belt and/or pulleys but nothing to bad. Someday I will change to a link belt but it hasn't been enough annoyance to bother with yet.

The fence is OK but not great. I usually use a one piece fence when possible.

A feeder, even a small one is money well spent.

It has lots of power and gets regular use here. I have no regrets about purchasing it and would order another if I had need for two.

Joe

Tyler Lung
05-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Joe,
Thanks for speaking up. Its always good to hear from people with first had experience. Do you use your shaper in a production environment?
Thanks