PDA

View Full Version : For all you antique reproduction gurus....

Andrew Williams
05-01-2007, 7:08 PM
Shaker blanket chest with two drawers, maple.

Lock or no lock?

Full mortise or half mortise lock?

Brass chain stays? Something else?

btw - the battens are probably not true to form but I wanted it to have them.

Jim Becker
05-01-2007, 8:55 PM
Hmm...I like that. It seems to be a "taller" design than I'm used to seeing. I have no opinion on the locks. The chain is probably a good idea to insure that the top can't snap back too far open if it's not near a wall or other "obstruction". Do note that if this is going to be near children you may want to compromise on authenticity and install a "slow close" safety device on the inside.

Howie French
05-01-2007, 9:11 PM
Andrew, very nice.

my thoughts.... locks your choice, not sure there is a right answer.

as for chains, how about hand forged to match the hinges.

Howie

Nancy Laird
05-01-2007, 9:27 PM
Hmm...I like that. It seems to be a "taller" design than I'm used to seeing. I have no opinion on the locks. The chain is probably a good idea to insure that the top can't snap back too far open if it's not near a wall or other "obstruction". Do note that if this is going to be near children you may want to compromise on authenticity and install a "slow close" safety device on the inside. (Emphasis added by Nancy)

And you might also want to compromise the authenticity a little more by removing some of the material on the sides and front to allow for little fingers NOT to get pinched if the top comes down anyway.

Nancy

Mike Cutler
05-01-2007, 9:43 PM
My opinion is, No Lock. I think it may detract from the appearance as it currently is constructed. Had it been a simple "chest" I would have voted for full mortise locks, but the legs and drawers make it something a little more sophisticated.
I would use 3/4" harness leather in place of chains. I'd still install safety hinges in addition to the harness leather though.

Andrew Williams
05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
How would you attach the leather? I have also thought about hand forged chain but not sure I can get it at the size I want. Seems most smiths are making big stuff.

On the topic of safety, no kids here currently, although it is possible that someday it will be around kids. I will have to think about that one, although that is an easy upgrade to make later.

My opinion is, No Lock. I think it may detract from the appearance as it currently is constructed. Had it been a simple "chest" I would have voted for full mortise locks, but the legs and drawers make it something a little more sophisticated.
I would use 3/4" harness leather in place of chains. I'd still install safety hinges in addition to the harness leather though.