PDA

View Full Version : A bow-fronted hall table

David Dundas
05-01-2007, 2:40 PM
I built this hall table in jarrah, with an inlay of silver-ash a few years ago. It would probably look good if made in walnut with a maple inlay. I have posted a free downloadable article on how to build the table here (http://rockerswoodwork.blogspot.com/) .

David

Jim Becker
05-01-2007, 2:46 PM
David, very nice table! For the benefit of SMC members, can you post a few more pictures, including one that shows the relationship between the base/apron and the top. I'm suspecting there is more going on there than is shown in the initial picture... ;)

Roy Wall
05-01-2007, 2:59 PM
Nice sleek design....well done!

Larry Fox
05-01-2007, 3:41 PM
Very very nice. Very delicate looking piece with great wood selsection. What is the finish if you don't mind my asking.

Cary Swoveland
05-01-2007, 3:42 PM
Very elegant, David, and thanks for providing the design. I too would like to see it from different angles.

Cary

David Dundas
05-01-2007, 4:51 PM
Jim,

This picture of the table in NSW Rosewood designed and built by my friend Mark, of which my table is a smaller copy, shows the table's apron better; but full details with diagrams are given in the article to which my first post gives the link. The finish on both tables is nitrocellulose lacquer.

David

Larry Rasmussen
05-01-2007, 7:33 PM
When I'm browsing at my local Rockler they often have some decent Jarrah. While I admit I could google this question I wanted to ask how is it to work with? That table is just stunning.
Thanks,
Larry

Phil Clark
05-01-2007, 8:00 PM
David - very nice work. You're fortunate to have easy access to those marvelous hardwoods in Australia. My supply of Jarrah comes from the flooring of a late 1890's home built in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada that became a knockdown. It's a wonderful wood.

David Dundas
05-01-2007, 8:55 PM
When I'm browsing at my local Rockler they often have some decent Jarrah. While I admit I could google this question I wanted to ask how is it to work with? That table is just stunning.
Thanks,
Larry

Larry,

Jarrah can be a bit variable both in grain and color. Some jarrah has interlocking grain, which gives a very handsome figure, but makes planing more difficult because it is hard to avoid tear-out, unless you spend some time using a cabinet scraper. Straight-grained jarrah is very easy to work with, and routs very well. If you can get jarrah wihich is a good bright red colour, it makes good-looking and durable furniture. Its strength class is SD4 and its Janka hardness is 8.5.

If you go to my blog (http://rockerswoodwork.blogspot.com/) , you can see a rocking chair made from jarrah; the backslats are made from jarrah with interlocking grain, giving a curly figure. To see the detail properly, click on the picture to enlarge it.

David

David