PDA

View Full Version : Resaw "found wood"

Jay Knoll
01-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi all

This will sound like a real dumb question to the more experienced members -- by the way, I am extremely humbled when I look at the quality of the work in the photos -- but also inspired to improve my craftmanship.

Anyway, after all the help and comments regarding a bandsaw purchase, I sprang for a Laguna HD16. Now that I've got it, I've been waiting to "make some lumber" from some found wood. As I was driving to the store this morning, I saw a pile by the side of the road, the tree service had taken down an oak -- I picked up several 3' long pieces, 6"-8" in diameter.

So, now the question -- do I have to let it "season" before I cut it, or should I rough it out in, for example, 2" thick slabs and let that season before I proceed to cut it down into something more usable.

Recognize that this is "just practice" but who knows, maybe I'll get some nice box material out of the project.

Thanks in advace for your help and Happy New Year

Jay

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 11:21 AM
For lumber, you'll want to cut it right away and get it stickered and stacked with weight on it. Drying outside where there is good airflow is the best place. The end-grain needs to be sealed right away, too. Anchorseal is the best, but you can heat up common paraffin really hot and paint it on for about the same effect. If it solidifies cloudy, it wasn't hot enough...it should be clear. In that manner, you know it penetrated properly. (This is right from the 80+ year old fellow I buy lumber from)

You may want to make a sled (Using a clamp to hold the log) to help you keep the material steady as you cut it. Even short logs have a bit of weight and you don't want them shifting while you are cutting them. Minimally, it could damage your blade, but you could also face injury if things get out of control. If not using a carbide blade, the Timberwolf AS series is what you want for wet wood. These are a little thicker and hold up better, according to Suffolk.

Speaking of resawing sleds, there is a good set of pictures of the same in the MiniMax forum under Bandsaw Jigs.

John Shuk
01-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Jay,
I too have a Laguna I bought recently. Couldn't swing the 16HD but I wish I had for the problems I've had with the LT16 I got. One of the main reasons for my choice is to cut lumber from found wood. I have some red oak from a tree my buddy had to take down. I got alot of turning blanks and a few four foot sections about 10 inches thick all quatersawn to make into boards. I haven't had time yet to work it but anchorseal is applied and it is off the ground. I have an OSAGE ORANGE tree sitting on the ground waiting for me also. I think that will be mostly turning blanks but I tell you I have been cutting some hickory from my property here. That saw does a real nice job. Making lumber is actually pretty easy in smaller pieces. Let me know how you make out.
John

Mark Singer
01-01-2004, 1:03 PM
Perfect Jim!

Jay Knoll
01-03-2004, 6:46 AM
Thanks for the advice, I cobbled together a sled and the saw worked great, now I've got to figure out how to clean off the residue from the wet wood on the saw blade!

Jay

Jim Becker
01-03-2004, 11:46 AM
now I've got to figure out how to clean off the residue from the wet wood on the saw blade!

One of the best things to use is "Simple Green" cleaner. It's great for all kinds of sawblades. Do take care with your hands, however...those bandsaw blades can bite really quick!