PDA

View Full Version : Numbering System

Frank Kobilsek
05-01-2007, 1:41 PM
Glenn announced his 1000th piece today (congrats) and I have noticed others number thier work. What systems do you use? What kind of pieces do you mark with the number? (Thinking pens, Bottle stoppers, etc are hard to mark) How do you record the information and what do you use it for.

When I was a carver I started a 07-001 where the year came first and the 001 was going to be a running count for all eternity. This plan fell apart pretty quick.

Just looking for ideas.

Frank

Glenn Hodges
05-01-2007, 2:49 PM
Thanks Frank, I just started out with #1 and then went forward because I saw others doing it. I also had a customer call and want a bowl to match the one she had bought from me, and I had to get her to give me a lot of info which made me look like a neophite. I keep a log which tells me when the bowl was made, the kind of wood, the size, and the type of finish which I used on the bowl. I have found this useful for repeat customers, and when a dealer calls me about a question. Again the numbers on the bottom refer only to the numerical order in which the bowl was made. It probably messes with some people's mind when they try to figure out the number code. BTW, some people bragg about having one of mine with a low number. For some it adds value to own a numbered item, go figure....

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2007, 4:17 PM
Hey Glenn....does that count all the ones that ended up in the firewood pile? :p
Just kidding...but if I counted all mine, trash or not, then I'd be up there close to your #1000. :)

Keith Burns
05-01-2007, 4:28 PM
Frank, I, like Glenn started with number 1 and went from there. I think I'm up to either 6 or 7 now.:D

George Tokarev
05-01-2007, 7:09 PM
Numbers have to beat dreaming up names like "Moonwalk No 4" or "Planetary Navigation." I'd get confused between open/closed, natural/unnatural/finished edges though. Is an ornament a "hollow form" or should I just call it a throwaway turning like a bottle stopper or honey dipper?

I use the year and me, more at customer request.

Bill Wyko
05-01-2007, 7:20 PM
what I'm starting to do is burn my autograph in the bottom, take a picture then on the picture I number it, dimention it and list the types of wood and date it. Then I keep a file of the bunch.:D I'm working on number 15.

Rich Stewart
05-01-2007, 7:33 PM
DOH! When Glen said he keeps a log, it took me a minute. I'm thinking, "A log? WTH?"

Bill Wyko
05-01-2007, 7:40 PM
BTW I've heard that sharpies start to bleed over time. You can also use a paint pen available at most craft stores though.

Glenn Hodges
05-01-2007, 8:19 PM
Shoot no Dennis, I would have run out of ink I had counted those. I only number bowls, and vases, not pepper mills, bottle stoppers, etc. If I had labeled those the number would probably have doubled also.

Neal Addy
05-01-2007, 8:39 PM
I use a Razortip and ballpoint tip pen to sign my name and add a catalog number consisting of a 2-digit wood code, the year, and the sequential number for that year. So the tenth piece this year (which was Tx Ebony) would be labeled "TE0710".

Frank Kobilsek
05-02-2007, 8:34 AM
Thanks Guys

I do Name, Year, Wood. I think I'll start numbering next year.

Frank