PDA

View Full Version : Looking for aluminum sign stakes(?)

Scott Shepherd
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I have a customer who wants some signs for their business, but they want them outside in a landscaped area, tilted at an angle. I have seen, while visiting botannical gardens, these small, aluminum stakes (for lack of a better word), that all the signs are mounted on. Typically looks like it's about 1" wide and 3/16" thick aluminum.

They range in sizes (the ones I have seen), but I'm looking for something that will get the sign up off the ground about 18" or so, and tilted. I can certainly go to Lowes and buy the material, bend one end in a vice, saw it to length, and drill a couple of holes, but honesty, I'd prefer to find a source for those types of things. I already spend way too much time making things that I know I can buy. I'd rather be burning material on my laser than standing in line at Lowes.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or have a source for them already made? I've seen 100's and 100's of them over the years, so I know they are out there.

Thanks in advance-

Mike Null
05-01-2007, 1:02 PM
Scott

I go to a sheet metal distributor and have them cut for me. I buy 1/8" x 3/4" and have them cut at 24". They do that while I wait but I have to call ahead.

When I get them I take bolt cutters and make an angle at the bottom and run a mill file down the edges as they can be sharp. I drill them and use a pop rivet gun to fasten the sign. I put them into the vice and bend them to about 20 degrees.

I usually pay about $1 a piece.

Scott Shepherd
05-01-2007, 1:15 PM
Thanks Mike, got any you want to get rid of? I don't have the time to do all that at this point in time.

I'd be more than happy to buy 6 of them from you at a fair price for your time.

I think I only need 2 or 3, so if you only had 2 or 3, I'd be happy with that as well :)

Just let me know.

Thanks-

Joe Pelonio
05-01-2007, 1:48 PM
The cheapest and easiest is to buy the steel (painted Green) ones at the HD and Lowe's, they have holes already and come in various sizes in the fencing department.

Mike Null
05-01-2007, 2:34 PM
Scott:

I can spare 3 or 4 but I just measured them and they are .100" instead of .125".

Shipping will probably cost more than the stakes.

Anyway send a PM with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Scott Shepherd
05-01-2007, 2:46 PM
Thanks Mike, just back from Home Depot with zero stakes in hand :( I'll try Lowes on the way home and PM you my info if I can't locate them at Lowes.

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Scott Shepherd
05-01-2007, 3:09 PM
Any sources for a Pedestal to mount a stand along sign on? One that can be used outdoors and doesn't have a 400lb base like some of the ones I have seen?

Looking for a simple pedestal to put a no-smoking sign up in a patio area with. Of course it has customer specific details on it, so it can't be a stock no-smoking sign, therefore I just need the pedestal system.

Seems I'm doing outdoor signage requests all day today. Considering 95% of my previous work has been inside, then I'm at a loss for sources on most of this stuff.

Barbara Sample
05-01-2007, 3:48 PM
I use Grandview Aluminum Products
phone number is 800-457-3540

They do cast bonze plaques, outdoor signs, etc. I use their 45degree bent 12" stakes for garden memorials. They are very nice quality.

Barbara

Joe Pelonio
05-01-2007, 9:48 PM
Any sources for a Pedestal to mount a stand along sign on? One that can be used outdoors and doesn't have a 400lb base like some of the ones I have seen?

Looking for a simple pedestal to put a no-smoking sign up in a patio area with. Of course it has customer specific details on it, so it can't be a stock no-smoking sign, therefore I just need the pedestal system.

Seems I'm doing outdoor signage requests all day today. Considering 95% of my previous work has been inside, then I'm at a loss for sources on most of this stuff.
Scott,

A local traffic/safety supply should have the kits, I order them from a local place. The post is PVC with fittings to go into a heavy plastic base, and it includes the epoxy to adhere it to the sidewalk or parking lot. They are made for a 12"x18" sign but you can go bigger or smaller.

Also available at Grimco, Inc, and it's probably a good idea to get their catalog anyway.

http://www.grimco.com/