PDA

View Full Version : Needed: SawStop Extension

Dave Hale
05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
If it's in the wrong forum, mods, please move.

While helping some kids from church build a bar (snack!), I accidentally ran my circular saw over my SS left extension, leaving a 1/8" groove. The kids were moving the beadboard after I had it in place to make it more 'stable'. Imagine my surprise when we lifted the boards off. :eek:
I will say I'm proud of myself by not reacting negatively.

Since I'm seeing many people doing sliders, router extensions and such, I thought I'd check to see if anyone wants to part with their extra extension.

I can get it from SS, but I thought I'd check here first.
I'm in NJ, zip 07079. PM me if you're interested.

Note to all: Cast iron is very, very soft, at least to the circular saw. ;)
I didn't even notice an increase in resistant from previous cuts while I was marring the extension.

David Weaver
05-01-2007, 1:00 PM
I don't have any parts that you're requesting, but I'm impressed that your saw cut the table top that easily.

What kind of circular saw was it? - sounds like a winner of a saw!

Greg Cole
05-01-2007, 1:07 PM
As someone here has as their running quote... "It's wood dust, if you are making sawdust change your technique" or something like that.

CI is very soft, but I can't imagine your blade liked it very much.

If you are looking for a RT look into the Bench Dog, might take a little more rigging to fit it into a SS as I know the tables are deeper....

Greg

Dave Hale
05-01-2007, 2:11 PM
Dave,

Just an old Craftsman, 14 amp if I remember correctly. It was a very shallow cut, I had the blade depth pretty close to limit splintering.
Subsequent pieces of beadboard cut with no issues. I have used this saw to form risers for my deck out of very, very wet treated 2x10 and it motored thru that wood pretty easily.

Greg,

Blade seemed to be fine. Just looking for the extension, not a router table. Already have separate RT. I just thought there might be someone out there who did choose to put in a RT and have an extra SS extension sitting around, being useless. :)

Ben Grunow
05-01-2007, 9:46 PM
File the edges smooth and leave it (?). A couple of scars make it look mean (ever see Slap Shot?). Might be embarrassing but my CMS has slices in the fence and it still works. Cheaper too.

Mark Rakestraw
05-02-2007, 5:57 AM
How about just filling it with epoxy or liquid steel and sanding it smooth. Tint it if you like. Is it really even a tool before it has the appropriate battle scars??? :rolleyes:

Mark

David Giles
05-02-2007, 9:42 AM
I've got one rusting away in the back shed. How about this deal? You pay shipping on this one. If I ever need one, you buy it and I'll pay shipping on it. Since the left side currently has a router table which may be replaced by a Mast-R-Slide, it's a pretty safe bet that you'll never here from me again. Shipping from Houston 77586.

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 9:43 AM
How about just filling it with epoxy or liquid steel and sanding it smooth. Tint it if you like.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think there are many of us who haven't inadvertently caused "boo boos" on our tools. Think of it as patina... :D

Don Bullock
05-02-2007, 9:57 AM
How about just filling it with epoxy or liquid steel and sanding it smooth. Tint it if you like. Is it really even a tool before it has the appropriate battle scars??? :rolleyes:

Mark

That certainly would be the cheapest solution. I have used the liquid steel several times in the past. It's very strong and is fairly easy to shape into a void like this. I agree with Jim that many of us, perhaps not all, have scars on our tools from things just like this. It's inevitable. This "boo-boo" will be a great reminder of the time you helped the kids from church make a bar.

Dave Hale
05-02-2007, 7:03 PM
OK, all of you 'keepit' people, how do I eliminate the sharp ridges on each side of the cut? I'm not buying an air 'grinder' and I'm not hand-sanding with a scotch pad for 10 hours either........

(leaning towards Mr. Giles offer) :)

Phil Thien
05-02-2007, 7:17 PM
OK, all of you 'keepit' people, how do I eliminate the sharp ridges on each side of the cut? I'm not buying an air 'grinder' and I'm not hand-sanding with a scotch pad for 10 hours either........

(leaning towards Mr. Giles offer) :)

I don't think I'd let you near it with any more power tools. ;)

Mike Heidrick
05-02-2007, 7:26 PM
Can I pay shipping for the shipped damaged one from you? I have a plan for my router stop.

Dave Hale
05-02-2007, 8:26 PM
I don't think I'd let you near it with any more power tools. ;)

Point taken. :o
I'm not much for metal work. Never did anything more than a tin box in Junior High shop!

Gotta say, this is a great bunch of guys.

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 8:55 PM
Dave, your ROS will take care of the sharp edges.

Kevin Groenke
05-02-2007, 9:55 PM
We have two..they're still in the boxes.

How much from SS?

How about shipping + $25?

archshop@umn.edu

Roy Wall
05-02-2007, 10:12 PM

How much from SS?

archshop@umn.edu

Kevin,

PM sent.......

Roy

Dave Hale
05-03-2007, 3:00 PM
I've got one rusting away in the back shed. How about this deal? You pay shipping on this one. If I ever need one, you buy it and I'll pay shipping on it. Since the left side currently has a router table which may be replaced by a Mast-R-Slide, it's a pretty safe bet that you'll never here from me again. Shipping from Houston 77586.

David,
Check your PM.

Dave Hale
05-04-2007, 11:28 PM

How much from SS?

archshop@umn.edu

Kevin,
Email sent.