PDA

View Full Version : OK... So I Bought a Shelix Cutterhead for my Jointer...Now What?

Lance Norris
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
As the title says, I bought a shelix for my Jet JJ6CS. I know I have to remove the old cutter, is the Shelix a direct drop in with bearings and pulley, or do I have to remove the old bearings and pulley and install them on the Shelix? I ordered this from Holbren. It is listed for my Jet. Is it a generic 6" cutter or made specifically for the JJ6CS? Are there any adjustment to be made other than the infeed-outfeed table height? Any hints to make the install go smoothly?

Paul Dwight
05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
The Byrd head I bought for my 8" Delta jointer a couple of years ago came with new bearings already installed on the head. I did have to remove the pully from the old head and re-install it on the Shelix head. A pully puller from an auto parts store made short work of that process.

Spend a few minutes studying the exploded parts diagram for your Jet and I think you'll quickly see how the installation process will work.

Once the new head was installed, the only adjustment I had to make was to reset the outfeed table height to match the new cutters.

Good luck! -- Paul

Steve knight
05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
myself I bought new bearings so I only had to install them. but if you don't have them you will have to pull the old ones.
the instalation is really easy. just remove the nuts that hold the head in palce take off the pully and bearigns put the bearings back on and the pillow blocks and thats about it.