PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 4" blocks of wood in half

jason lambert
05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I need to cut several 4x4x4 blocks in half along the diagnal, this makes it a depth of cut of 5.6". Or my original stock is about 2' of 4x4 if I could just rip that in half along the dignial. What is the best way to do this? I do not have a band saw or miter box. What other options do I have. I am thinking maybe my saws all.

My 12" dewalt miter saw it would just kick the block out and send it flying. I do have a Fest tool saw but have no way to set up the block for the cut.

Don Orr
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
What about a-wait for it-HAND saw:eek: . Cordless, quiet, quick.

Bill Webber
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
You don't say what you will use them for or how accurate they need to be cut, but a rip-set handsaw would certainly get you started. Those blocks are pretty small, shouldn't take too long. :)

Bill W.

jason lambert
05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Was thinking that, I actually don't have one but may have to get one.

jason lambert
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
They will be maple or oak and they are for finished feet for a couch. They don't need to accurate and I can sand when done. I think a hand saw will work if I am careful to stay on track.

Prashun Patel
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Not quite sure I understand but if it were me, I'd cross cut the blocks into the right size chunks on yr Dewalt. Then I'd notch a v in a 2x4 and screw that to the fence. That notch will align the blocks and prevent the blade from kicking it back. It dog down the block from the top during the cut.

Paul Held
05-01-2007, 4:17 PM
I would make a jig/fence that was at a 45 degree angle and cut them on a bandsaw. By holding the 4x4x4 piece against the fence they should be on the diagnal for cutting. Paul