PDA

View Full Version : Western Cedar Arbor

Adrian Early
04-30-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm new to Sawmill Creek, so if this is a common or duplicate post, please forgive my learning curve.

I'm building an arbor out of Western Red Cedar (took delivery of 4" x 12" beams today!) I've read that I shouldn't use iron with Red Cedar as it will cause streaking, black spots, etc. when the iron interacts negatively with the sap in the wood. Any suggestions on the best alternative metal to use?

The metal will be used for more than just screws and fasteners. I plan to have some custom metal brackets made to receive one end of each of 10 arbor beams. I plan to molly the brackets to my brick garage. The beams are 4" x 10" x 12'. Any recommended gauge for the brackets?

Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
05-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Stainless steel doesn't stain cedar. The silver color is a big contrast with the cedar, so you have to want to use it as an accent. Bronze is another possibility. You can get bronze square-drive screws from McFeeleys. They weather to a color like an old penny, and blend quite nicely with the western red cedar. For custom-built fittings, I'd look to copper.

Ben Grunow
05-01-2007, 9:58 PM
I think you will see streaking from any metal that touches cedar over time. I would use SS for fasteners and hide them well. No comment on the metal brackets except that they could be wood like the ones here...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48666

Ben

Adrian Early
05-02-2007, 4:29 PM
Thanks Jamie/Ben.

The wood brackets look like a definite option. Totally opposite from the streamlined look I had in my head but it certainly looks like a good alternative.

John Bush
05-02-2007, 6:11 PM
I have used brass screws with cedar for out door exposure and they look much better than the SS. I used drywall screws on the first chairs I made and they streaked the wood in just a few weeks. John.