PDA

View Full Version : Zebra and Stainless Coffee Table Finished

Mark Singer
04-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I finished the table today ....in a few days I will give it a coat of wax....The model in the backround is nude except for his collar....this was an expensive shoot with Dexters' day rate ....:rolleyes:

Roy Wall
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Dexter's done good!!!! I helped negotiate the deal for him:cool:

Java must be jealous.........

The table is beautiful.

Brad Schmid
04-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow Mark,
The table turned out beautiful as always, and as expected;)
Well done:cool:

Steve Jensen
04-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I love the table. Where did you get the stainless leg hardware?

Dan Larson
04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Mark,

The table looks great! Very cool miter joinery detail... thanks for your explanation in the earlier thread. Funny how some dogs love to have their pictures taken... our furry guy always manages to sneak in to every shot.

Dan

Dave Ray
04-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Another work of art, Mark. Beautiful piece.

Benjamin Dahl
04-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Mark, very stunning table. thanks for sharing the process as it makes a great learning experience.
Ben

Roy McQuay
04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Beautiful, thanks for sharing the experience.

Mark Singer
04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Here are a few more pics....Dexter has gone home for the day and the cost has gone way down:confused:

This was a fun project and requires some careful techniques and planning....a lot can go wrong and it all will show....so you just go step by step and soon....before you can say zebra.... its done!

Mark Singer
04-30-2007, 11:11 PM
More you asK:confused:

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 1:00 AM
I love the table. Where did you get the stainless leg hardware?

A friend of mine, Frank Smart , has made metal hardware for me for many years... He does terrific work!

John Michaels
05-01-2007, 1:17 AM
All I can say is wow! That is one really beautiful table! Excellent craftmanship.

Jim Becker
05-01-2007, 8:58 AM
Stunning, Mark. And Dexter seems to approve in his "own way"...

BTW, does the Zebra wood get a little darker over time or is it somewhat color stable? I've never worked with it outside of one pen turning a few years ago.

Steven Herbin
05-01-2007, 9:07 AM
I have a nice piece of Zebrawood in stock.

Now I know what I'm going to do with it!

... but I doubt I can come close to this kind of quality final product!

Fabulous work!

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 9:32 AM
Thanks for the super comments!
The finish is 4 coats of Daly's Ben Matte wet sanded with 400 wet and dry paper. The final coat was not wet sanded. I may give it one more coat since the softer wood in the zebra still looks a little dull from certail angles. Wax will probably take care of it...I need to wait a couple of days to wax it.
Here is the link to the construction process....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55767&highlight=zebra

Tim Martin
05-01-2007, 9:32 AM
Hi Mark, I must say I had concerns about the construction method regarding the movement of the timber within the external frame.

I wasn't sure how you would disguise the gaps in the mitres when the timber expands, but after seeing your latest pics I now clearly understand the principle. They are actually a nice feature in the design.

10/10:cool: Top work!

Zahid Naqvi
05-01-2007, 9:37 AM
Supremo as usual.
Assuming the table is solid Zebra wood do you have any concerns for lateral movement (must have missed something in your other thread)

Don Bullock
05-01-2007, 9:51 AM
Stunning and exquisite as usual! I am constantly amazed at your work. Not only is the craftsmanship superb, it fits beautifully into the intended setting. Your pictures and explanations are always so clear and helpful. Thank you for sharing your work and letting us know how you create such fine furniture. You are certainly an asset to Sawmill Creek. Dexter looks great too.

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 9:53 AM
Supremo as usual.
Assuming the table is solid Zebra wood do you have any concerns for lateral movement (must have missed something in your other thread)

Zahid,
If you review the construction thread listed above, you will see it is made from 4/4 material and made to look 3 1/4" thick using rip miters on all 4 pieces. The long sides are joinned and glued to the main 4/4 body or "field" section. The "breadboard " ends are not glued ....instead the wenge splines and a drawbored single screw hold them in place. The lower beams that support the table are free of the top and dry bisquited to allow movement....finally the base plates of the legs have 2 washer head screws so there is room for some expansion there as well....the other 2 screws ate countersunck to maintain the stainless to zebra flush "inlay "
appearance. I detailed the corner miter joint with a tiny bevel to acknowledge it is a dry unglued joint...and the key is to keep all the tiny gaps equal or it looks very bad...that is a big part of the challenge
So movement was accounted for:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 9:55 AM
Stunning and exquisite as usual! I am constantly amazed at your work. Not only is the craftsmanship superb, it fits beautifully into the intended setting. Your pictures and explanations are always so clear and helpful. Thank you for sharing your work and letting us know how you create such fine furniture. You are certainly an asset to Sawmill Creek. Dexter looks great too.

Don Thanks....I will make sure Dexter reads :rolleyes: your comments

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2007, 9:59 AM
Beautiful table Mark!!!! I like the clean lines and the wood is outstanding.

Rob Blaustein
05-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Just beautiful! I was curious--do you put something on the bottom of the feet like felt or rubber to prevent the floor from being scratched if the table slides? Also, just wondering how heavy the table is.
Rob

Art Mulder
05-01-2007, 10:13 AM
do you put something on the bottom of the feet like felt or rubber to prevent the floor from being scratched

Mark, I had the same question.

Also, I notice a lot of colour variations between the photos, I'm guessing because of that huge window in the background. Which photo do you think has the truest colour to the original?

Gorgeous work, Mark. Dexter - don't quit your day job.

I think you're missing one photo, though... Mark ceremonially doing the first "kick back in the sofa with his feet on the coffee table" pose. :D

best,
...art

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Mark, I had the same question.

Also, I notice a lot of colour variations between the photos, I'm guessing because of that huge window in the background. Which photo do you think has the truest colour to the original?

Gorgeous work, Mark. Dexter - don't quit your day job.

I think you're missing one photo, though... Mark ceremonially doing the first "kick back in the sofa with his feet on the coffee table" pose. :D

best,
...art

Art,
No kickback...Board Buddies and SawStop....I take them in when I watch TV:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Just beautiful! I was curious--do you put something on the bottom of the feet like felt or rubber to prevent the floor from being scratched if the table slides? Also, just wondering how heavy the table is.
Rob

I really should do that!....the feet thing...felt or plastic

John Schreiber
05-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for showing us your work Mark. Stunning piece.

Is there a gap between what would be the "breadboard" if it were one and the main surface, or is there a bit of a bevel on both sides, or am I just seeing a line of wood grain?

Mark Singer
05-01-2007, 2:25 PM
Thanks for showing us your work Mark. Stunning piece.

Is there a gap between what would be the "breadboard" if it were one and the main surface, or is there a bit of a bevel on both sides, or am I just seeing a line of wood grain?

John,
This free type of joinery is the hardest to keep consistant...there is a tiny gap and it is very tight,,,,at the top edge a 32 roundover details the interface.. A glued joint is much easier to construct....however in time there would be movement issues , Quarter sawn wood moves more latterly than plain sawn....this is not an issue to ignore...instead address it in a positive way

Matt P
05-04-2007, 8:23 PM
Is/does the middle panel have to float to allow for wood movement?

Mark Singer
05-04-2007, 8:28 PM
Is/does the middle panel have to float to allow for wood movement?
The middle is the table itself.....it moves as it wishes and the short ends that would normally constrain it if they were glued, allow movement .. Wood moves much more across the grain than with the grain....so the cross grain movement shoul not be restricted

Keith Cope
05-04-2007, 8:39 PM
Great looking table, Mark! Thank you for sharing--I especially like your narratives on the design and construction of your pieces.

Keith

Tom Cowie
05-04-2007, 8:50 PM
Beautiful table Mark,

Really great combination. I haven't worked with Zebra wood yet but definitely looking forward to it after seeing this.

Tom

Matt P
05-05-2007, 1:50 AM
My question is this: if the ends of the table are free (not glued), but the keys in the miters are glued (to both the table and the ends), does this restrict movement? Or is there enough of a gap to allow for movement?]
thanks,
Matt

Mark Singer
05-05-2007, 8:31 AM
My question is this: if the ends of the table are free (not glued), but the keys in the miters are glued (to both the table and the ends), does this restrict movement? Or is there enough of a gap to allow for movement?]
thanks,
Matt

Matt the splines are glued to the short ends and "slip" into the long end slots....there is one screw , from the bottom that joins the wenge spline to the slot in the long rails. The hole is oversized and is allowed to move in the long rails...If you glue the splines to both the long and short rails, there is no way it can move...its all fixed. Then if the body expands it goes concave or convex like a bow amd arrow...see the construction sequence at the link below:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/mSinger/z_art/zebraCoffeeTable/zebraCoffeeT1.asp

Charles Jackson III
05-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Very Beautiful work, Mark.

John Lucas
05-05-2007, 11:38 AM
I finished the table today ....in a few days I will give it a coat of wax....The model in the backround is nude except for his collar....this was an expensive shoot with Dexters' day rate ....:rolleyes:

If only I could get my models to pose nude in pictures, but it would be dangerous...if by no other way than by wife.
Beautiful table Mark. I just picked up some Zebrawood. At the time it was just too attractive wood to leave at the store. Now I am making into a small coffee table. I like your design and the execution is fantastic. Sort of as a reverse of your. I am use the Z-wood for legs and frame and will have plate glass insert top. Thanks for the information of finishing.

Matt P
05-05-2007, 8:12 PM
Matt the splines are glued to the short ends and "slip" into the long end slots....there is one screw , from the bottom that joins the wenge spline to the slot in the long rails. The hole is oversized and is allowed to move in the long rails...If you glue the splines to both the long and short rails, there is no way it can move...its all fixed. Then if the body expands it goes concave or convex like a bow amd arrow...see the construction sequence at the link below:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/mSinger/z_art/zebraCoffeeTable/zebraCoffeeT1.asp

Now I understand - thank you Mark!

Pat Zabrocki
05-05-2007, 8:55 PM
Your work is truly admirable, I always make sure to check out whatever your current post is.

Hmmm... nude model, dog collar... didn't realize we had such a kinky forum here.

Keep up the very inspiring work
cheers
Pat

Cary Swoveland
05-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Stunning, Mark! You seem to turn out masterpieces like this one every week. How do you do it?

My appreciation of Zebrawood has changed. Before seeing this project I never cared for it very much. Here it is fabulous.

A few questions:

1. Is the interior veneer, or a floating solid-wood panel?

2. What wood did you use for the splines in the miter joints?

3. What finish did you use?

Thanks,

Cary

Hans Braul
05-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Wow Mark that is fantastic. I love all aspects of it. A true inspiration!

John Miliunas
05-06-2007, 12:29 AM
As always, nothing but the finest craftsmanship, Mark! Beautiful!!! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
05-06-2007, 1:12 AM
Stunning, Mark! You seem to turn out masterpieces like this one every week. How do you do it?

My appreciation of Zebrawood has changed. Before seeing this project I never cared for it very much. Here it is fabulous.

A few questions:

1. Is the interior veneer, or a floating solid-wood panel?

2. What wood did you use for the splines in the miter joints?

3. What finish did you use?

Thanks,
Cary

It is all solid wood made from 4/4....rip mitered the edges to 3 1/4 " for thickness. The splines are wenge... Daly's Ben Matte is the finish,from seattle.

If it was veneer movement would not be an issue...

Check this link for the construction, etc.

Cary Swoveland
05-06-2007, 1:37 AM
Thanks, Mark. The article describing the construction of the table was excellent. You might consider editing your initial post in this thread to reference it.

...If it was veneer movement would not be an issue...

Before reading your article I had made an incorrect assumption about the splined miters. I assumed they were fixed. I therefore assumed the interior of the top was either veneer, fixed in place, or a floating, solid-wood panel. Given the resolution of the photos, I thought perhaps the level of the interior of the top could have been slightly lower than that of the edges (i.e, a panel). Your article clarifies all.

Should you ever teach a seminar on some of the techniques you use, please send me an announcement.

Cary