PDA

View Full Version : Bunny rescuing

Gary Herrmann
04-30-2007, 8:43 PM
My wife and I were cleaning out beds when I hear her calling me to the back of the house. Apparently, she had disturbed a couple (3"-4" long or so) baby bunnies.

They ran into the screened porch. The dogs were going crazy on the other side of the storm door. Those little hassenpfeffers were shaking like crazy.

So I donned some rubber gloves (thinking that maybe their mama wouldn't smell me on them). I caught them and stuffed them back into the hole they came out of.

As I'm doing this, I ask my wife "Aren't you going to be complaining about these varmints in a month or so for eating your plants?"

I was given "the look."

I guess time will tell if they survive the dogs and whatever else...

Bryan Rocker
04-30-2007, 8:55 PM
When I lived out in Choctaw Oklahoma, I had a scrub oak tree about 20' from the back door. Around this tree was a planters box put up by the previous owners. The bunnies decided it was a good place to raise a few bunnies. I stumbled across them one day as I am getting ready to plant some roses. We put them back and to my knowledge lived just fine. My catahula wasn't too bright so she just left them alone as long as they weren't running....I know of at least 3 series of bunnies were born there. I do know one litter, outside the normal breeding season became snake food. The stupid bunnies kept thumping their feet without their eyes open. Several large snake easily found the nest.....From what I read as long as you don't put human scent on them the mother will take care of them........

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2007, 11:16 PM
We used to have a lot of rabbits annually in and around our garden. Then a mother owl took up residence and began having little ones in one of our neighbor's weeping willow tree............I haven't seen many rabbits lately...adults or otherwise.....

Mark Rios
05-01-2007, 12:19 AM
I read this thread to my 8 foot boa and he said to tell you that he's going to be salivating all night.

:D :D :D

Jerry Clark
05-01-2007, 1:05 PM
Found one in the pool the other day-- guess he did not know how to swim yet!:eek: The local Bobcat sure like them!:cool:

Jim Myers
05-01-2007, 1:29 PM
I just found a nest this weekend.

I was mowing the back yard and the next thing I see is a 4" rabbit hopping away from the mower. I just missed it.

Of course SWMBO is now forcing me to avoid that spot in the yard until we know they are gone. It looks like I will have a nice patch of 2 foot high grass smack in the middle.

Mark Pruitt
05-01-2007, 3:14 PM
Waskaweey Wabbit....:mad:
Time for Wabbit Stew!:cool:

Dan Gill
05-03-2007, 9:26 AM
We used to have a rather small cat who was a terror on the local rabbit population. Of course, she was a terror in other ways. When she was just about 4 months old, the neighbors put a 9-pound roast on the patio to thaw (no, I don't know why). Our cat dragged the roast into the corner of the yard and did her best to eat the whole thing. They had to hose her down to get her to let go of it.

Gary Herrmann
05-03-2007, 9:33 AM
My yellow lab brought one in this morning. Having a soft mouth, he hadn't punctured the little critter in any way. I got him to put him down outside, I turned around and he had picked him up and was running to his bed with him. Didn't puncture him the 2nd time either. Can't really the blame the mutt for adhering to his lineage.