PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Workshop

Darrin Davis
04-30-2007, 6:59 PM
Does anyone know why Norm used the wire mesh on top of his bent wood lamination in the vacuum bag on his "bow front chest" project this past weekend?

Dennis Meek
04-30-2007, 7:25 PM
In equalizes the pressure across the surface of the project. If you don't use it the pressure on it will vary depending on how the plastic bag contacts the surface.

This is just my theory.

John Timberlake
04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I use plastic mesh that I got from Vacupress. Works great with not cauls - curved or flat. Helps to distibute the pressure more evenly. Norm was doing upholstered stools (Saturday) and chest on frame (Sunday) in my area this week.

Bruce Wrenn
04-30-2007, 10:10 PM
We call it a breather. It allows for even evacuation of air, with no "cut off pockets." He probably used either the mesh that comes with vac bag kit, or fiberglass screen. The kind that is in window screens, cheap, flexable, and glue pops off.

Al Killian
04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
He made a clock saturday in my area. Isn't nice that every one see's a different show?:rolleyes:

Tim Malyszko
05-01-2007, 7:44 AM
He made the cowboy chest here on the St. Louis PBS. Actually, it was a brad holder in the form of a cowboy chest - he loves his nailer.