PDA

View Full Version : Pawnshop Prizes

Rob Luter
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Or should I say antique store prizes?:D

My wife and I went downstate this past weekend for some R & R to celebrate 25 years of wedded bliss. We managed to do a fair bit of antiquing along the way and I picked up a couple of prizes:

Disston #4 Back Saw ($2.00) – The medallion dates it from 1888 to 1892 or so. It needs to be sharpened and will then be perfectly functional. I count 14 TPI. The spine is "cast steel" (as marked) rather than brass. Other than some minor corrosion and staining on the blade it’s in pretty good shape. I hope I look so good at that age.

Bailey #5 Jack Plane ($28.00) – Casting and iron date it as a “Type 9”, 1902 to 1907. The whole thing has a coal black patina but no pitting at all. The japanning is about shot and the tote has an old repair (hidden under the price tag), but the bed is flat and I bought it as a user anyway. I sharpened it up and it works great.

Stanley #62 Marking Gauge ($5.00)– A 6” beech marking gauge with a wood clamp screw in really nice shape. No idea on age yet but it's been around a while.

Pigsticker 1/4” mortise chisel ($8.00) – As yet unidentified manufacturer, but there's a light stamp I should be able to decypher eventually. It’s a socket type and the steel is some pretty tough stuff. I put an edge on it and pounded a couple really nice looking mortises through some red oak stair treads I have laying around for tool tuning. If the performance of this is typical of the species I'll pick up a couple of larger versions when I have the chance.

I'll get some pictures posted after I get home tonight.

Pics attached

Bill Houghton
04-30-2007, 11:11 PM
I've got several of the Disston saws of that vintage, and they are truly fine tools - at $2, you stole it!

The #62 marking gauge is a nice tool, too. Actually, they all sound like good deals.

jonathan snyder
05-01-2007, 1:07 AM
Nice haul Rob! I agree with Bill, you stole that saw.

Jonathan