PDA

View Full Version : Table Lamp of Black Palm and Holly

John Huber
04-30-2007, 11:51 AM
This table lamp is just completed. It uses stave construction, as described in Malcolm Tibbets' book, The Art of Segmented Wood Turning. Thank you, Mr. Tibbets for making the trigonometry calculations so straightforward! And thank you for your clear designs of the sleds and fixtures for cutting and gluing.

Many people are familiar with the attractive end grain of Black Palm. In addition, some of the faces have an attractive bird's eye figure and/or linear streaks on a pale background. These are featured on this lamp. Due to the design, there are several transitions between nearly end grain and nearly face grain. The finish is laquer.

This project was my first with Black Palm. I learned a lot. Which means there were a lot of errors and frustration! The fibers in Black Palm are very weakly joined togeter. It wants to tear out very easily. It will not support a small radius convex curve.

John Huber
04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
PS I am a novice turner and would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Paul Engle
04-30-2007, 2:22 PM
John , nicely done . Keep it up , thats what learning is all about!!!!. That palm is incredible.:eek: You and Bill and some of the other ( yes and Malcolm T.) segmented turners are really off the hook.:D

Neal Addy
04-30-2007, 2:36 PM
John, you say you're a novice turner... I've been turning for 3 years and I'm impressed! Just the fact that you turned Black Palm this well is outstanding! That's not easy stuff to work with!

Bob Hallowell
04-30-2007, 2:55 PM
Very Nice John, and you ain't know novice turner that is very, very sweet.

Bob

Ken LaSota
04-30-2007, 6:23 PM
John for novice I say you can be proud. That looks more then novice work to me.
Ken

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2007, 6:30 PM
John for a novice you can stand proud. I really like it. Nice work. Keep'em coming.

Mark Pruitt
04-30-2007, 7:57 PM
PS I am a novice turner and would appreciate your comments and suggestions.
If that's what you consider "novice," I wonder what you'll be doing when you're "advanced"! Beautiful piece, John. Keep 'em coming!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2007, 8:22 PM
John..........You took a tough set of circumstances and turned it into a beauty! Well done........Novice....Not any more!