PDA

View Full Version : cherry score! two NE's

Mark Pruitt
04-30-2007, 10:49 AM
My boss and I were talking last week and he said he had a cherry tree knocked down by a recent storm. Asked me if I wanted the trunk. Guess what I said.:cool:

I picked it up on Friday and spent the weekend chainsawing and making big fat wet curly shavings. Talk about bliss.:D

I did not have a container big enough for the larger NE and I was not going to make a borg run just for a 5 gallon bucket, so I anchorsealed it.

The second one though was smaller, so it is now sitting in DNA.;)

Seems like all I know how to do any more is turn. (Well, I did spend enough flatwork time to make the turning tool cabinet I posted yesterday.):)

Onward and upward!:cool:

Glenn Hodges
04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
That is nice, the sap wood on those are the widest I have ever seen.

Mark Pruitt
04-30-2007, 1:11 PM
Thanks Glenn,
Yeah, it really had me in awe when I cut the first log down the center and saw what I had. I got enough to make a few more, and in addition, the root system of the tree and the first three feet are still lying in my boss' yard. He told me to come and get it when I'm ready.:)

Dennis Peacock
04-30-2007, 1:32 PM
Very nice Mark!!!! Ain't it a "kick"?!!!

"I did not have a container big enough for the larger NE and I was not going to make a borg run just for a 5 gallon bucket, so I anchorsealed it."

BTW, You don't "need" a big container. Get you a contractor grade trash bag, woller out a spot slightly larger than the turning in your pile of lathe curlies, place the heavy duty trash bag there, put the bowl in there to the soaked, and pour in enough Alky to cover the bowl....remember to take up all the extra space around the bowl with the lathe curlies so you will use less alky to soak the bowl. Let set over night and wah-lah.....you have an alky soaked bowl that didn't require a large container.
Now...pour the alky in a gallon container or two....let the bag air out for a day, fold it up until you need to use it again. :D At least that's how I solved my problem like this. :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2007, 1:51 PM
Mark you got two beauties there. Boy is the sap wood wide. Like Glenn don't know as I have seen it that wide. Can't wait to see them finish.

Ken LaSota
04-30-2007, 6:27 PM
Mark those are beautiful. I use a tote box about 16" high x14"w and 20" long,it takes about three gallons but seal the lid and it lasts a long time and any turning fits inside.
Ken

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2007, 6:34 PM
Mark - congrats on the wood! Cherry is great to work with!! Looking forward to seeing the finished bowls!

Mark Pruitt
04-30-2007, 7:00 PM
BTW, You don't "need" a big container. Get you a contractor grade trash bag, woller out a spot slightly larger than the turning in your pile of lathe curlies, place the heavy duty trash bag there, put the bowl in there to the soaked, and pour in enough Alky to cover the bowl....remember to take up all the extra space around the bowl with the lathe curlies so you will use less alky to soak the bowl. Let set over night and wah-lah.....you have an alky soaked bowl that didn't require a large container.
Now...pour the alky in a gallon container or two....let the bag air out for a day, fold it up until you need to use it again. :D At least that's how I solved my problem like this. :)
Dennis, what a resourceful idea! I have to remember that one.

Jonathon Spafford
05-01-2007, 3:19 AM
Can't wait to see 'em finished... I especially like the shape of the second one! It has a nice curve to it!!!!

David Cramer
05-01-2007, 8:19 AM
Really nice Mark! I love those natural edges! Cherry rules! Thanks for sharing them. You've motivated me for my future projects. Thanks!

Dave

Jim Underwood
05-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Whoa! What a great tip on the Alcohol drying! I thought I was going to have to buy a whole bunch of it to try it out. Now I can do even my larger bowls with no problem!

Nice NE bowls by the way.

Joseph Peacock
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Very nice bowl Mr.Mark!!!:eek::cool::DI will be finnishing a bowl today!

Barry Stratton
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Pure sweetness Mr. Mark:D :p :p

Keith Burns
05-01-2007, 4:08 PM
Mar, two great looking NE's you have there. Can't wait to see the finished !!

William Bachtel
07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
That is nice, the sap wood on those are the widest I have ever seen.

Glenn yard trees almost always have a lot of sapwood. Nice bowl