PDA

View Full Version : Finished question for first project...

Matt Benton
04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I am making a jewelry box for my wife for Mother's Day. It is my first project.

I'm using cherry for the box.

I've mitered the four sides, and am looking for a good compliment to make splines for the edges. Does ebony work well with cherry?

Also, regarding finishing, what exactly is the goal? I've planed the wood in a brand new planer, and the surface seems very smooth. Do I still need to sand down to @ 300 grit?

Lastly, I'm finishing with an oil-based satin poly. Any suggestions on highlighting the grain using this finish?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bill Arnold
04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Matt,

Ebony would be a good choice to be certain of maintaining the contrast. I've used black walnut with cherry also.

To finish cherry, I start with a 50/50 mix of naphtha/boiled linseed oil to highlight the grain, then sit the item in the Sun for a few hours, rotating it to ensure even coverage. The Sun will kick-start the darkening process and warm the oil so it seeps in better. Keep wiping the item until the oil no longer comes to the surface. I prefer to use a clear gloss finish for the initial coats, then apply a topcoat of satin -- this process maintains a deeper look to the finish.

Larry Rasmussen
04-30-2007, 9:28 PM
Ebony is pretty tough to work with I understand and walnut is a pleasure. As far as sanding you have to be mindful of Murphy' law- if a scratch can show it will show but only after the finish is on. Decide on your finish, check the sanding recommendation and just work it down to there. Chances are very good if you skipped sanding steps when you applied your finish a bunch of flaws would show up.
Larry