PDA

View Full Version : Encyclopedia Set Free to Good Home

Dan Mages
04-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Good morning,

I have an old Encyclopedia Britannica set I need to get rid of. I do not have an exact date on it, but i would assume it is pre-WWII. Outside of a little bit of schmutz, the set is in excellent shape. If anyone in driving distance of Mundelein IL is interested please let me know.

Dan

Rich Stewart
04-30-2007, 8:57 PM
I heard the story of the kid walking by a set of Encyclopedias in school and asked the teacher what it was. Teacher says, "It's the Encyclopedia Britannica." Kid says, "Somebody printed out the whole thing?"

Matt Meiser
05-01-2007, 7:33 AM
Dan, if you can't find a taker, you might consider donating them to your local library--then you can take them as a deduction as well.

Dan Mages
05-01-2007, 8:21 AM
Dan, if you can't find a taker, you might consider donating them to your local library--then you can take them as a deduction as well.
They won't take it. Its too old and out of date!

Stuart Johnson
05-01-2007, 9:50 AM
Check with your local schools especially if there is an inner city (poor) school. About 8 years ago the bank I worked for closed our division. We had hundreds of binders and other office supplies in storage. We were told to trash it as it was less costly than trying to restock. Instead I donated it to a school. In talking to my contact I found out they had 1 set for the entire school. My wife contacted a salesman and purchased two sets very cheap as they were going to the school. It turned out they were his last and he was going out of business. Online use had put him out of business.

By the way the teacher that was my contact was a retired Army MP. He got out and saw what a lack of education caused and went into grade school teaching. He spent a good amount of his own money just making certain the kids had pencils and paper.

Joe Pelonio
05-01-2007, 9:52 AM
I've always wondered what became of old out-of-date, but not yet antique encyclopedias. I know that used book stores won't take them either. I have seen some on E-Bay (getting bids, too), you might try that.

John Shuk
05-01-2007, 8:40 PM
I don't need a set of encyclopedias. My wife already seems to know everything!;)