PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Sandmaster?

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-31-2003, 11:03 PM
I am considering the purchase of the Sorby Sandmaster thingy for sanding Bowls and other turnings. Does anyone have and use this device, and if so, how do you like it? It looks like a good, quick way to sand and eliminate those irritating radial sanding lines that get on my nerves TOO much! I have some extra Christmas Money just dying to be spent, and I have always wondered about the Sorby Sanding Thingy. Thanks in advance for any advice, comments or endorsements of this and other like devices. :)

Wolf Kiessling
12-31-2003, 11:39 PM
I am considering the purchase of the Sorby Sandmaster thingy for sanding Bowls and other turnings. Does anyone have and use this device, and if so, how do you like it? It looks like a good, quick way to sand and eliminate those irritating radial sanding lines that get on my nerves TOO much! I have some extra Christmas Money just dying to be spent, and I have always wondered about the Sorby Sanding Thingy. Thanks in advance for any advice, comments or endorsements of this and other like devices. :)

Is the thing you're talking about that Sorby angle sander? The thing that has a handle, adjustable sanding head w/velcro pad, and it rotates due to the rotation of the bowl? If it is, I have one. Seems to me I paid right around 50 bucks for it and I don't use it all that much. It does okay I guess but it is sometimes a pain to get it rotating, you have to hold it in the bowl just right. Also, it's useless for small bowls; you have to have a pretty good size opening to get it in.

If I had to do it over, I would not buy it again. I do just as well holding a piece of sandpaper in my hand and holding it inside the bowl while it is rotating. I admit that I get a skinned knuckle occasionally but the sanding is much more efficient.

Again, however, I'm not sure this is the thing you're talking about,

Wolf

Bill Esposito
01-01-2004, 8:27 AM
Kev,
I have it and I like it but to be honest I havent used it on the inside of a bowl yet. I use it to sand the exterior of all my turnings and I do think it works great.

I saw a significantly cheaper version somewhere but for the life of me I cant find it now.

Sparky Paessler
01-01-2004, 8:41 AM
I think it was Lee Valley that has the cheaper version. About $29. I have been thinking about getting one myself.

Bill Esposito
01-01-2004, 9:07 AM
I think it was Lee Valley that has the cheaper version. About $29. I have been thinking about getting one myself.Sparky,Let me know if you find it. I just searched Lee Valley both online and the catalog and can't.

I also noticed that Lee Valley sells 6" holeless H&L sanding disks for $.60. The best price I've found for 10 2" disks is $2. I wonder how many disks I can cut out of 3 of the 6" ones...I need to experiment to see if it's even worth it.

Edit: I can make 15 2" disks out of 3 6" disks plus have 3 slightly less than2" disks left over for $1.80.

Depending on how time consuming it is to cut them out it is a 50% increase in pieces for $.20 less.

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I used on in a friend's shop out in Colorado. I prefer the power sanding method with an angle drill (Soux in my case) over the Sorby product...more control.

Julie Wright
01-01-2004, 8:15 PM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frames/frameset_sanding.html
Look under Power sanders, The SIOUX DRILL SLOW SPEED is listed there. I have heard a number of bowl turners write about this power sander. A little pricey, but I have heard many good reviews about this sanding drill.

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 8:25 PM
The SIOUX DRILL SLOW SPEED is listed there. I have heard a number of bowl turners write about this power sander. A little pricey, but I have heard many good reviews about this sanding drill.

That's the one I use, Julie. I have both a 2" and a 3" H&L pad for it and generally use the "wave" type sanding disks as I find they tend to scratch less if you get to close to a corner. The trigger design is also comfortable for the purpose I use it for. One does need to clean them out frequently as dust can really whack the motor and brushes if you don't. Milwaukee sells the same unit under their name and colors, too...it's good to check prices as one may be better than the other depending on the phase of the moon, etc... :p

I picked mine up from Coastal Tools up in Hartford...I like doing business with them better than Craft Supplies a whole lot. Their customer service is awesome.

John Shuk
01-01-2004, 8:56 PM
I bought the Milwaukee version of the angle drill on www.UBID.com just go and search for Milwaukee. I got mine for about $50.00 with shipping and all. Factory Refurbished with full lifetime warranty. I told a friend and he got one too for about $55. It is hit and miss with what they carry but if you watch you can do very well on there. You would not believe some of the deals I've gotten there(or the trouble I've gotten in with LOML)

Sparky Paessler
01-01-2004, 9:17 PM
Sparky,Let me know if you find it. I just searched Lee Valley both online and the catalog and can't.

Bill

It's Woodcraft not Lee Valley. The item number is 144595.

Sparky

Julie Wright
01-01-2004, 9:56 PM
Here is the link for Costal Tool - Looks like a Great Price

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/ab/siou/si8050es.htm?L+coastest+knsl7212ff5f6b5f+107302476 6

Gene Collison
01-01-2004, 10:16 PM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frames/frameset_sanding.html
Look under Power sanders, The SIOUX DRILL SLOW SPEED is listed there. I have heard a number of bowl turners write about this power sander. A little pricey, but I have heard many good reviews about this sanding drill.

Julie,

I believe this drill is really made for Sioux by Milwaukee. they certainly are identical in every respect. Sioux is a large manufacturer of air tools only AFAIK. So whichever is cheaper is the one to buy. That being said, I have an almost new Milwaukee that I am not using. If anyone is interested, email me.

Gene

Dominic Greco
01-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Kevin,
I have one of those Sorby Sandmasters and I use it quite often. I found that it works better with grits above 150 and slower speeds. Like 300 rpm. I use a Milwaukee Close Quarters Drill for sanding with 80 to 100 grit.

Here is a tip for ya; Once I got used to this tool, I started going through those velcro backed abrasive discs like they were water. And the cost started to mount up. :eek: A friend of mine told me about a company called Industrial Abrasives (http://www.industrialabrasives.com/index.html)

They sell 1 meter x 1 yard sheets of velcro backed sand paper for $15.75 each. They stock all the grits up to 600. I bought some 80, 100, 150, 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit sheets. I took a 3" long hunk of sch 40 steel pipe and had a welder friend of mine weld a plate and a hunk of round bar stock to the back. I sharpened the rim and now I can punch out (50) perfect 2" diameter discs in 10 minutes flat. ANd I didn't use hardly any of the sheet up! :D

The same buddy who told me about IA also told me that I didn't even need to punch out perfect circles! If you cut the sheets of sandpaper up into 2" squares with a bandsaw, they act like "wave discs" as sold by Packard Woodworks. The "wavey edges" are supposed to reduce the formation of sanding ridges caused by the sharp edge of the sandpaper cutting the wood like a knife.

Another el cheapo option is NOT to buy the Sorby Sandmaster at ALL! Buy a el-cheapo pivoting head 2" Air Sander (ala Harbor Freight) and use that instead. Just don't hook it up to air. I mean, it's got the pivoting head, ergomonic design (comfortable to use), the velcro pad, and ball bearings. At one time these things were on sale for $20.00!

Good luck!