PDA

View Full Version : Don't mess with Frogalina!

Jim Becker
04-29-2007, 9:22 PM
Apparently, Frogalina objected to something he said...:eek:...or maybe she was just extra hungry for some reason...;)

Bill Webber
04-29-2007, 9:27 PM
Was it a relative or just a neighbor? :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
04-29-2007, 9:40 PM
Was it a relative or just a neighbor?

The answer could be yes to both questions... ;)

Art Mulder
04-29-2007, 9:44 PM
Is she part praying mantis?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Took out some of the competition!

Keith Starosta
04-30-2007, 10:16 AM
WOW!! :O Didn't know frogs actually did that sort of thing!

- Keith

Jim Becker
04-30-2007, 10:22 AM
WOW!! :O Didn't know frogs actually did that sort of thing!

Bullfrogs certainly do, but we were unaware that Green Frogs did this...

Nancy Laird
04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
And as he goes sliding down the gullet, his last words were.....
"Was it something I said?"

What a picture- I didn't know that any frogs did that. Bet your girls were sorta freaked out, huh?

Nancy

Ted Calver
04-30-2007, 12:14 PM
After numerous warnings about failing to comply with the pond's terms of service, Frogalina was forced to take drastic action...:)

Joe Tonich
04-30-2007, 7:27 PM
Apparently, Frogalina objected to something he said...:eek:...or maybe she was just extra hungry for some reason...;)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/jt6089/frogicide.jpg

Sorry Jim.........saw the pic and had to do it. :o

Jim Becker
04-30-2007, 8:16 PM
Oh, my, Joe....why didn't I think of that?? :D :D :D :D

Dennis Peacock
04-30-2007, 8:24 PM
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect Joe!!! Just perfect......

Now Jim...remind me to stay away from Frogalina on my next visit. ;)

Gary Herrmann
04-30-2007, 8:36 PM
Is she part praying mantis?

Well, Art beat me to it...

Jim Becker
05-01-2007, 9:32 AM
Someone on the Soul of Adoption forums posted another good caption from her husband...

"it's a frog eat frog world out there."

:D

Lee Schierer
05-01-2007, 9:34 PM
What you have there is a bull frog. Yes they do eat lesser frogs. Keeps down the competition. Your other pond companion may also become lunch, unless she is his girl friend, which should become evident shortly when you will find frog eggs in your pond.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/North-American-bullfrog1.jpg/775px-North-American-bullfrog1.jpg

Jim Becker
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Lee, Frogalina is definitely silent...not a male for sure. Green frogs will also eat other frogs according to Wikipedia. I'm trying to find some pictures of her "not gorged" to see if she has the requisite ridges. When the picture in this thread was taken, she was, umm...quite full and distended. We do have the green frog male sounds (ka-thunk) from time to time in the pond, but it may be one or more of the bronze variants that also live there.

Oh, her chin is white, not yellow as in your picture, but apparently there is a lot of variation in colors among the species. And she's as big as my hand at this point after four seasons.

Fred Voorhees
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
AND THAT'S why I will NEVER put my full trust in ANY female variety person.

Glenn Clabo
05-02-2007, 6:10 AM
This is on my office wall ... guess he just couldn't get it done...

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Lee may be correct as to species. Let me explain...the one very meaningful thing that differentiates Green Frogs from Bullfrogs is a ridge that is on either side of the body from the head back to the "hips" as well as one that curves down behind the eardrums. On a Green Frog, that ridge is very evident...you can see it on the smaller frog in this picture (a bronze variant of the Green Frog) but it seems to be absent from the larger animal...which is not Frogalina, but another presumably female (silent) frog that has also been with us for awhile. In Bullfrogs, the ridge only dips down aft of the eardrums...there is no ridge that continues back on the body.

Where it gets interesting is when you view this shot of Frogalina (taken a few minutes ago) that clearly shows her chest area being almost identical to the Green Frogs (and the bronze variant) in our pond. There also seems to be a hint of the ridge, but it's minimal compared to the around the ear ridge. She's still very distended from her "meal"...

At any rate, if Frogalina and that other frog are Bullfrogs, so be it...I'm just glad they are not the males. As much as I love nature, we don't need that kind of noise directly outside of the house!