PDA

View Full Version : Elm HF

Shane Whitlock
04-29-2007, 8:07 PM
A small, fat bottomed hollow form, 6 inches tall, turned out of a chunk of Elm that I found on the side of the freeway.

Sanded to 1200, finished with BLO, white diamond and carnauba wax.

Comments/Critiques always welcome,
Shane Whitlock

Jim Becker
04-29-2007, 8:55 PM
Shane, great look on that piece...the elm you used is so interesting!

Relative to the form, I do like it...but I might like it better if it was either taller with the current shape or kept a more continuous curve from the shoulder down to the bottom. It would have a slightly lighter feel with the latter.

Shane Whitlock
04-29-2007, 9:11 PM
...but I might like it better if it was either taller with the current shape or kept a more continuous curve from the shoulder down to the bottom.
Thanks Jim ... I agree, I usually turn my HFs with more of a catenary curve but I was just exploring other shapes. I really don't care for this one much.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2007, 9:22 PM
Shane I have to disagree. I like the form. Looks like a old style water container. I think it looks ok from my point. How did you like turning the Elm? I turn a lot of it because we have some much of it around. I really like the wood. You have to a little careful doing bowls cause it does move even when DNA'd. Nice work Shane.

Shane Whitlock
04-29-2007, 9:34 PM
... How did you like turning the Elm? ...
Thanks Bernie. One of the first woods I turned was Elm, I love it. Its a pleasure to turn, no tearout and easy to sand, but this stuff was very dry and if my gouge got a little dull the shavings coming off would get hotter than hell ... lol :eek:

Neal Addy
04-29-2007, 9:48 PM
Sweet! Nothin' at all wrong with the form. I agree with Bernie on the water container look.

Another winner!

Curt Fuller
04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I like the shape Shane. It reminds me of the vessels that were used to store olive oil back in the biblical times, at least my image of them. I like the elm too. It's really a nice looking HF!

Jonathon Spafford
04-29-2007, 11:58 PM
I was trying to find something wrong with the form, but I kinda like it! It has a simple look to it and the wood is great! I love this one! Great going!

Curt... it might appear to be like one of them oil pitchers, but its got a hole in the side... it's art ;) :D

Paul Engle
04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice shape and form Shane, I did a burled bowl in elm and it was pretty good to work with. I like it, it looks like what Curt and Bernie said , some of the earlier Greek and middle eastern shapes are very classic , like Bernie's first HF. :D

Ken LaSota
04-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Shane I like the shape and am getting very tempted to order a hf tool.
Ken

Jamie Donaldson
04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Now I know where you've been hanging Shane! Another excellent piece!