PDA

View Full Version : Moved from old house - have to restablish exhaust vent

Scott Winstead
04-29-2007, 6:46 PM
I moved from AZ back to MI and now have a much larger office area for my small business. My office area will be in our basement with about a 10 ft. vertical run straight up and then right angle to the outside. I plan to put my Penn State exhaust blower outside with my muffler to pull vs. push air.

The question that I have for the SMC laser crowd is "if you were to vent your laser again knowing what you know now, would you use PVC or the standard HVAC tin for your exhaust vent?"

PVC seems easier to maintain a tight seal and to fabricate. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

Matt Meiser
04-29-2007, 6:57 PM
I moved from AZ back to MI

That's not something you hear much these days. :(

Scott Winstead
04-29-2007, 7:14 PM
Matt,
I'm glad to be back to MI ... my wife and I both grew up in MI and after travelling and living in many states, we're thrilled to be back.
Scott

Nancy Laird
04-29-2007, 7:45 PM
Tin, no question.

Sorry to hear you're leaving the beautiful Southwest, but I suspect you aren't sorry to leave the Arizona heat behind. Sorry to "see" you go, neighbor.

Nancy

Scott Winstead
04-29-2007, 8:42 PM
Hi Nancy,
Yep ... closer to friends and family and can't say that I'm sorry to leave the heat behind. Why tin, what are the advantages?
Scott

Matt Meiser
04-29-2007, 8:51 PM
Matt,
I'm glad to be back to MI ... my wife and I both grew up in MI and after travelling and living in many states, we're thrilled to be back.
Scott

I like living here too, but with the state's economy it is rare to hear about some coming. Leaving is an entirely different story.

Bill Cunningham
04-29-2007, 9:31 PM
I would use tin over pvc, it's lighter, and most common sizes are avail at any hardware store. If your sucking and not blowing, a few tiny leaks will not cause any smoke problems. Also, I don't think the crud builds up as fast on metal.. Just don't try sucking through that flexey accordion type vent hose.. The inside liner WILL fail after a bit. and plug the vent..
One other thing to keep in mind after leaving a warm climate.. You will now be sucking heat out of your house in the winter, so expect a higher heating bill than most of your neighbors will have, and adjust your rates accordingly:(

Nancy Laird
04-29-2007, 10:28 PM
I would use tin over pvc, it's lighter, and most common sizes are avail at any hardware store.

Exactly, and the tin is cheaper than PVC in the sizes you are looking at. For 4" and up PVC, you have to go to a plumbing supply house (the BORGs don't usually carry it).

(Slight hijack: By the way, Scott. Did you ever do anything with those plaque blanks I sent you?)

Nancy

Scott Winstead
04-30-2007, 6:45 AM
Ok, good advice so far.

Nancy - I've saved the plaques for "special" commemoratives, they've been very attractive to some of my customers. Here's an example of one ...

Joe Pelonio
04-30-2007, 12:07 PM
When I had a long run I used HDPE storm drain pipe. It's light and inexpensive, easy to work with.

Pete Thomas
05-01-2007, 8:29 AM
4" PVC sewer pipe, very thin. Seals very well with PVC cement. There several several different angle couplers, 22.5, 45 & 90deg. I also feel that the PVC might be a little quieter.

-pete

Dave Jones
05-01-2007, 4:58 PM
You might want to use metal for at least the first section of it. If sparks come off of something you laser and get caught on residue built up over time inside the plastic pipe, you'll end up with a chimney fire inside a plastic pipe and that would not be good.

Joe Pelonio
05-01-2007, 5:05 PM
You might want to use metal for at least the first section of it. If sparks come off of something you laser and get caught on residue built up over time inside the plastic pipe, you'll end up with a chimney fire inside a plastic pipe and that would not be good.
Good point, I used metal for the first 4', the rest plastic. Here it's all metal but only goes about 3' then out.

Scott Winstead
05-01-2007, 7:56 PM
Seems that the majority of folks have went with the standard HVAC tin for a variety of reasons (weight, cost, potential for sparks, etc.). Thanks for the responses - this weekend is exhaust fabrication time at the new house!
Scott

Herman Jeroue
06-03-2007, 1:51 AM
What part of Michigan did you move to? I live in Midland and have a VersaLaser 30 watt. I just purchased it about 6 months ago and trying to learn how to use it. I have CorelDraw 12.
Herman Jeroue

Jason Roehl
06-03-2007, 8:40 AM
Wow, hard to believe there are that many Creekers in my old hometown! Actually, my folks still live in Midland. Me, I was born there and only lived there 7 years, plus a couple summers while in college after my folks moved back. Small world.