PDA

View Full Version : crushed stone question

Stephen Hibbs
04-29-2007, 3:28 PM
I'm looking at getting some crushed turquoise or other such crushed rock. I have two questions- 1. Where's a good place to get it? and 2. How much should I get (in ounces)?

I'm going to use it to inlay cracks in bowls, pen bands, and some small carvings. Also, what other (possibly cheaper) crushed stones look good.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
04-29-2007, 6:22 PM
Seems like I ran into a bunch of stuff that would "FILL" your bill at the big "Gem and Jewelry Show".... They have them two or three times a year in all the major cities.. Mica might be a good choice too.. It kinda looks like gold..Crushed abalony shell, and Jasper, quarts and even garnets can't be that expensive.. the kind they make sandpaper out of.. I've seen some of that stuff on ebay for that matter, and at the shows, they have little tiny plastic beads.. 32nd of an inch.. all kinds of colors.. I thought about filling cracks with that stuff, but just don't know what to mix 'em with.. Epoxy just doesn't sand well enough..

Bill Wyko
04-29-2007, 9:18 PM
I have a number for a man that sell Turquoise at my office somewhere. I'll see if I can find it for you.:)

Paul Zerjay
04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
But I use my kids sidewalk chalk. I had some box elder and needed something pink. The only thing I could come up with was sidewalk chalk. Mix it with C.A. Works great and you can get a variety of colors. Cheap too!

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Great idea Paul. I bet that would work great with epoxy to for big cracks and voids.

Frank Kobilsek
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Stephan,

I have purchased Turquise, Azurite and Malachite from Arizona Silhoutte. Bill sells it in one once bags. A bit pricey but the grind and color is consistent.

I did pick up some Turquise jewerly at an estate sale cheap. I have had a hard time screening my self ground stone into consistent batches.

Frank

Roy Antaki
04-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I have used embossing powder with great success. You can find it in many different colors, and the powder is fine enough that you can fill the smallest cracks then use thin CA. You can buy the stuff at most craft stores, in their rubber stamping section.

Glenn Hodges
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I purchase it over ebay, and crush it myself.

Stephen Hibbs
04-30-2007, 5:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I think I might try that sidewalk chalk (I'm cheap), but if I can get some turquoise cheapish I'll get some as well. How much would be enough for filling small voids and such in bowls? I know they sell it by the ounce at AZ silhouette, but is an ounce a lot? I don't want to buy way too much or way too little, though I'm sure I'd end up using it all after a while.

Frank Kobilsek
05-01-2007, 8:52 AM
Stephan,
An Once will go a long ways. Just but one to get started.
Frank

Patrick Taylor
05-01-2007, 9:33 AM
A guy in my club uses shavings from a key making machine mixed with blue chalk to add some shimmer. It really looks like turquoise when it's finished.

Wayne Bitting
05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
When trying out inlay for the first time I used ultra fine ground glitter. The local craft stores carry a few grades of glitter in lots of colors. With the 40% coupon in the newspaper, it was less then a buck. I got the process from the following link: http://yoyospin.com/inlay/

Bruce Volden
05-01-2007, 1:25 PM
Another thing to remember, silicon carbide can be used to sand down the inlay DEPENDING on what you are inlaying. SC will not abrade anything harder than 6.5 mohs on the hardness scale (if memory serves me). Don't try using granite, diamond, various other hard materials. By the way~~CHALK~~now there is something I've never tried either, but soon will :D

Bruce

Kaptan J.W. Meek
05-01-2007, 1:51 PM
Hmm.. If memory serves me, Chaulk is free.. There is nothing free'er than chaulk.. ;)