PDA

View Full Version : Juried art and craft show

Paul Engle
04-29-2007, 1:23 PM
Pieces for a jury show here in august, for an arts & craft fair. these determine if one is good or appropiate enuf for the fair, which runs with the Festival at Sandpoint ,music etc for 11 days , artists from around the music industry and such. photo not so hot but I am working on it. good thing that they are not jury-ing the photos , I'd get laughed out of my socks....comments if you like. the red fir piece was found in neighbors wood pile last week , he wondered what the " black goo " was .... I caught it right away and he has somemore of the tree on a logging site not far from here. turned into firewood ...the burl came from a left over piece when a local turner quit turning when his wife passed away over the winter...sad. and the bowl is from a crotch piece of birch drying in the shop since oct. have at it please , it will only make me better for the Nov show. burl is 4 in by 11, vase is 4 x 9 and the bowl is 5 x 12. first two in wipe on poly many coats no buffing, and the bowl in salad bowl finish 4 or 5 coats.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2007, 1:25 PM
Wow Paul those are beautiful. I really like the form and finish on all of them. I definitely like the first one. Nice work.

Roy McQuay
04-29-2007, 1:44 PM
They are all great, but I especially like the grain in the bowl.

Nancy Laird
04-29-2007, 2:07 PM
Any one of those three pieces would go very nicely in my living room! I especially like the vase, but the wild grain in that bowl is just beautiful.

Nice pieces!!

Nancy

Paul Engle
04-29-2007, 5:19 PM
We think the burl is big leaf maple, the lady (disposing of the many blanks still at the house the grandson did not take ) had seen the main burl . the man had one of those custom built lathes that is no longer in production , the name escapes me, and she says the bowl was 5 or 6 by 16 in dia. I have a good size maple burl i got for free when I bought some wood from her. she has about 400 bf of english walnut but wants 1000$ for it :( , and some exotics . the house he lived in was all walnut burl and claro counters, cabinets etc , truly gorgeous over looking the lake on the north end. Thanks for looking and truly appreacite your comments !!!! now if yall were only doing the jury-ing ...... :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2007, 6:19 PM
Paul, you've got some really nice stuff here and should have no problem with the judging!

The 'sunrise' burl caught my eye first - burls always do. Great form and an even better finish - should impress everyone!

Vase is a simple form,done right, that highlights the pitch area.

The bowl is amazing... so much going on with the grain! Once again, a nice and simple form that allows the wood to speak for itself.

Very nice work on all pieces! Best of luck to you with the jury! Please keep us informed as to the results!

Jeff Heil
04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Did you take the photos yourself? I can see a highlight from your strobe in the photos. Try a diffused light source like a soft box or a bounce flash.

Your competion will have professional photos, these take away from your turnings in my opinion.

My 2 cents. The burl is amazing!