PDA

View Full Version : Walnut natural edge HF w/ burned lip

Curt Fuller
04-29-2007, 11:37 AM
This was one of the biggest PITA pieces of wood I've worked with in a while. I think it was too dry and brittle or something. It's from a small walnut log about 7" diameter. I mounted it on a bias so the pith runs at a diagonal from the bottom to the top. But for some reason I couldn't keep from getting tear out and even had a hard time sanding it out. 80 grit seemed to even cause tearout. But the bark stayed on with the help of some CA at least. It ended up about 6" x 6" with a little soldering iron burn around the lip. Deft semi gloss finish. Wish I could have gotten a better overall finish.

Also, my wife made me a new background for my photos. It's a full size sheet of watercolor paper with a sepia wash she painted on it. What do you think?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Curt...Beautiful piece! I like the edging. The bark almost looks like carving.....I like the the new photographic background! Well done!

Barry Stratton
04-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Me thinks the background is really nice and the walnut piece is GREAT!

Glenn Hodges
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Curt, your wife did a great job on the back ground. I like the contrast in the piece as well as the lines. I also think that leaving the bark enhances the appearance, great job.

Tom Sherman
04-29-2007, 12:34 PM
This piece is very cool Curt, the background works well.

Nancy Laird
04-29-2007, 12:56 PM
All I can do is ditto what others have said. The bowl is just exquisite, and I like the new background. I also think that the bark looks like carving - I had to look it it several times to make sure it wasn't!!

Nancy

Skip Spaulding
04-29-2007, 1:15 PM
Curt, Very creative, great bowl and background!

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2007, 1:22 PM
Wow Curt. I had never thought of doing a NE like that. Beautiful. Nice job.

Neal Addy
04-29-2007, 2:11 PM
There's a lot going on there and the effect is beautiful! I love the two-tone effect of the bark and the natural texturing it provides. Gorgeous piece!

That background is neat! It's subtle and makes a great canvas for your work. Tell LOYL she is very talented. Something like this would cost at least $30 or $40 if purchased.

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2007, 2:13 PM
Very nice Curt.!!!! I especially like the way you nailed and glued all the bark around the form. :p :p It looks so realistic. :D :D :p

An excellent piece and a nice touch with the bark. I like it.

Shane Whitlock
04-29-2007, 2:55 PM
Great job Curt. I like the texturing around the rim, fits in nicely with the rough texture of the bark. The background looks great too.

Shane Whitlock

Mark Pruitt
04-29-2007, 4:57 PM
Curt, I would say you nailed that one perfectly.
And I would be right.:)

Jim Becker
04-29-2007, 4:59 PM
A very interesting piece with that bark skirt!

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2007, 6:33 PM
Wow Curt! When I first saw the photos I thought you had carved something on the sides of the bowl - didn't know unitl I enlarged the photo that it was bark! What a great effect! The burned lip area fits right in with the dark bark area and works very well. Already saved this to my favorites file! Very impressive!

Tell you wife that the background looks great!

Ed Scolforo
04-29-2007, 6:35 PM
I thought it was carved! Beautiful!

Bob Hallowell
04-29-2007, 7:28 PM
Curt, That a really nice peice. I love the bark on the side!

Bob

Curt Fuller
04-29-2007, 11:18 PM
That background is neat! It's subtle and makes a great canvas for your work. Tell LOYL she is very talented. Something like this would cost at least $30 or $40 if purchased.

Thanks everyone!

Neal, if I tell her everyone seemed to like it, you can bet it will cost me a lot more than that!;)

Patrick Taylor
04-29-2007, 11:36 PM
I LOVE the bark. I think it's great when a NE is used in unusual ways.

Jonathon Spafford
04-30-2007, 12:01 AM
That was really worth all the pain! It is just gorgeous! The bark around the side is just too cool and then the burning on the rim! I just love this piece... what wonderful work!

Mike Ramsey
04-30-2007, 9:09 AM
Very nice, like everything about it!

Ken LaSota
04-30-2007, 9:58 AM
Curt I think the bowl and the backround as well are great .I love the collar treatment.
Ken