PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a good rip saw blade?

Richard Bistline
04-29-2007, 10:18 AM
What kind do you guys use?

mark page
04-29-2007, 10:28 AM
I recently purchased a Freud glu-line blade, believe model # LM74 series. Everyone was giving good results. Had a great buy on Amazon, but must admit I havent used it yet. Still taking an extra pass on the jointer with current rip blade I use. I figure when it gets dull I will switch to the Freud to see how it works. It's supposed to make a rip where no jointer facing is needed.

Jim Becker
04-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Freud makes a few good dedicated rip blades as mentioned. Personally, I use the Forrest WW-II 20t ripping blade.

I'm also dubious about the "no need to joint" assertion of some blade, largely because it's not about the "surface" quality, but about the edge being straight. Outside of short stock, it's very, very difficult for human hands to guide a piece of wood through a cut without minor deviation which will affect the quality of the glue-up. Cleaning up the cut on the jointer serves to straighten the edge an insure it's perpendicular to the face of the component. (which also needs to be jointed flat in many cases prior to thicknessing)

glenn bradley
04-29-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm currently favoring a Lietz 24T but have had excellent results with Freud blades as well.

Tim Lynch
04-29-2007, 11:39 AM
If budget is an issue, and/or if you have an underpowered saw, I just ordered this blade ... $34.99 with free shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU87R010-Industrial-Features-Hi-Density/dp/B0000225UH/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0323481-4505712?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1177860687&sr=8-1

and so far it has performed extremely well for me. I edge glued boards directly from the table saw with no problems.

And I was able to saw 12/4 sapele easily which was giving my old combo blade fits and filling the room w/ smoke. :eek:

Tim Lynch
04-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Dang! Just noticed that the 20% off applies too... it's just about free! Maybe I'll get 'nuther.

Mark Singer
04-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Freud has some great blades....the Glu line rip it even crosscuts well! The 50 tooth combo is as good as any blade out there for a variety of things,,,,,ripping....crosscuts ...joinery..Thee blades are often in the $30 to $50 range at amazon and they are a bargain!

Jack Ganssle
04-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Tim,

Thanks for that posting about the Freud blade at Amazon. $28 with the 20% off and no shipping charges. I've got one coming now and can't wait to try it.

Jack

David Weaver
04-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Freud has some great blades....the Glu line rip it even crosscuts well! The 50 tooth combo is as good as any blade out there for a variety of things,,,,,ripping....crosscuts ...joinery..Thee blades are often in the $30 to $50 range at amazon and they are a bargain!

They were giving that blade away with saws when I got mine, and I sort of threw it on a pile without opening it. Thanks for posting the recommendation - I'll dig it out and see how it compares to the wwII.

Nancy Laird
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
We stumbled onto Everlast blades a few years ago and really like them--if we can find them. They are harder than chicken's teeth to find locally. We also use Freud, but the Everlasts are our favorites.

Nancy

gary Zimmel
04-29-2007, 4:19 PM
Ditto for the Freud Glue line rip blade. When I was making the mission headboard and footboard to get the effect of 1/4 sawn on all sides of the legs i ripped 1/8" x 1 3/4' strips and had no problem.

I always have a spare sharp one on hand.

Allen Bookout
04-29-2007, 5:40 PM
Infinity..

Cody Colston
04-29-2007, 6:04 PM
These are not my pics but were posted to demonstrate the effectiveness of a Systimatic Glue-Line rip blade. Pretty impressive, I think.

I still use a WWII combo blade and joint after sawing but if I were looking to go to task-specific blades, Systimatic would have to be near the top of my list.

Russ Massery
04-29-2007, 6:15 PM
11/2" on up I use a Forrest WWII 20t. Less then my WWII 40t.

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2007, 6:25 PM
Out of all the blades I've ever used.....Everlast and Amana blades have performed and lasted the best of any blade that I have experience with. Freud does make some very nice blades....but Everlast is my primary choice.

scott spencer
04-29-2007, 6:35 PM
A good ripper should be pretty easy to come by. Freud, DeWalt, Leitz, Infinity....haven't tried the Ridge Carbide yet but I'd be surprised if they weren't top notch. I also hear good things about CMT, Systmatic, and Amana.

Matt Meiser
04-29-2007, 7:04 PM
I have a Freud (not glue line) but rarely take it off since the WWII blade does a good job. If I am ripping thick stock or have a lot to do, I'll take the time to change the blade, but that's not very often.

Az Fred
04-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I like the Freud Rip, I have 2 but my Everlast blades seem to have more beef. The crosscuts are fantastic. I buy them and have them sharpened here: scottsharpaz@qwest.net