PDA

View Full Version : Mortiser or Dovetail Jig

Craig D Peltier
04-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi, I want to see if im on the same page as the Creek.
Im debating what to get Dovetail or Mortiser.

My thought is that a Dovetail jig may get used more for draws than a mortiser for face frame joints. All face frames I have done and other misc projects I have used pocket holes.
Does mortise and tenons come into play alot more in other types of furniture i.e. chairs, heavier type projects where stronger joints are needed etc.?

Are dovetails used 99% for draws and boxes? I see some jigs are 24 inch wide, is this for 24 inch dovetails like on a chest?

Or do I need both just as much? My projects are all over the place.Whatever I need to build or someone else does.Nothing specific.

Allen Bookout
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I would say that if you are going to build nice furniture that you need both. If you are not not going to build nice furniture you do not really need either one.

Neil Lamens
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi Craig:

Not really knowing where you are headed but going on your mention of being all over.

How about this........I would go after the dovetail jig. You mention a length of 24" so you looking at one that can vary pins and tails. Your morticing requirements can be accomplished with a plunge router. Your tenons on the table saw.

Now that I say this, referencing the router, you might think to substitue one of the Incra systems for the dovetail jig. It' s not as "dedicated" and therefore provides more options to your maching capabilities.

Making dovetails, is something you are one day going to do.....so if the opportunity exists for a choice of Mortice or Dovetail, why not get started now.

Hope that adds a thoughtful twist.........Neil

Andrew Williams
04-28-2007, 11:57 PM
If it were me:

Mortiser

I do DTs by hand anyway

Jim Becker
04-29-2007, 9:35 AM
I'd choose the dovetail jig before the dedicated mortiser, personally, especially if you are going for on of the more versatile jigs such as the Leigh or Akeda. But it's a matter of what kind of work you intend on doing.

Steve Rowe
04-29-2007, 4:28 PM
Looks like the replies to this one is going to be all over the place. I get a lot more use out of my mortiser than I do the dovetail jig. If I had to make a choice between the two, I would go for the mortiser since cutting mortises by hand is a lot harder than cutting dovetails by hand.
Steve

Mike Henderson
04-29-2007, 4:57 PM
I would get a slot mortiser - but that's because I prefer the look of hand cut dovetails while mortises are hidden. So I'd use the power tools on the mortises.

But mortises are not that difficult to do by "hand". Just mark them out, drill most of the wood out to the proper depth with the right size bit, and then clean up with a chisel. But once you use a slot mortiser, you never want to do a mortise any other way - they're so clean and fast.

The chisel mortisers also work but, for me, they're not as nice as a slot mortiser - they take a lot more time to cut a mortise, take a fair amount of physical effort when cutting, and are fussy to set up and maintain.

Mike

Doug Shepard
04-29-2007, 4:58 PM
How bout mortiser AND dovetail jig?
http://www.woodrat.com/woodrat.html

Craig D Peltier
04-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Pretty cool, pretty pricey too $650. Do you have one or does anyone here reading this? If so whats your opinion on it.
How bout mortiser AND dovetail jig?
http://www.woodrat.com/woodrat.html

Craig D Peltier
04-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. Im still undecided but not because of you'll..Good suggestions.:D

Allen Bookout
04-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Pretty cool, pretty pricey too $650. Do you have one or does anyone here reading this? If so whats your opinion on it.

When I was going through the same thing that you are I looked into the WoodRat and decided the same thing that you did---pretty pricey. But now after having bought both a good mortiser and dovetail jig I do not think that any more. I have more than that in my mortiser alone but it works great and so does my Akeda. However if you do not need to cut really deep mortises you might be ahead with the WoodRat. I have never used one but I have never seen a post where someone said "boy, I sure do not like my WoodRat". Quite the contrary.

Just some thoughts.

Don Bullock
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
... I have never used one but I have never seen a post where someone said "boy, I sure do not like my WoodRat". Quite the contrary.

Just some thoughts.

I haven't used one either, but I have read reviews that say it's difficult to set up, especially for dovetails.

Personally, I have a little difficulty with the tools that claim that they do everything better. They can't be the best tool for all that they are built for.

The tools we choose have a lot to do with the kind of work we're planning to do with them. Having more detail here as to the type of work Craig plans to do will help.

Craig D Peltier
04-30-2007, 1:55 PM
My work may be a dresser one day to a table the next week.Due to clients needs.So as you can see I may need both just not sure which first or which I will use most. I do like simplicity so I think a mortiser will be quicker than a router setup.I can always cut the tenons on the table saw or by hand.
Thanks for talking about the woodrat a bit.
I haven't used one either, but I have read reviews that say it's difficult to set up, especially for dovetails.

Personally, I have a little difficulty with the tools that claim that they do everything better. They can't be the best tool for all that they are built for.

The tools we choose have a lot to do with the kind of work we're planning to do with them. Having more detail here as to the type of work Craig plans to do will help.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-30-2007, 2:14 PM
Which would you prefer to learn to do by hand?

Doug Shepard
04-30-2007, 2:16 PM

Well I've got one as of about a month ago, but it's still in the box until I get done getting my DC ducting done and out of the way. There are a small number of folks here that have them (Dave Richards for one). Do a search of past posts. All the owners seem pretty postive on them. The Woodrat site also has a video worth watching.